[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Massage therapy?

Massage therapy?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Massage therapy?

Postby Sazzle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm

I have heard from a mate in the US who has Fibro (Hubby's best mate and our best woman at our wedding) that massage can help.

Anyone had massages that have helped with the pain? What type of massage works for you? She said deep tissue massage.

Anyone in Surrey know of any good massage therapists/
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Re: Massage therapy?

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:29 pm

mmmmmm. i can hardly bare my clothes touching me, there is no way i could cope with deep massage. i had reflexology yesterday and that was painful enough. i did have massage a couple of years ago and it almost made me cry. she must be made of tougher stuff than me :yikes:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi
We get mixed reactions on the forum, some say it helps and other feel it makes their pain worse, I have never tried one so can't really help, it's one of those things you have to try yourself as everyone is different.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Sazzle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 pm

I consider myself fortunate that I do not get the horrid feeling a lot of you get from your clothes touching. I hate restrictive clothing but think that is partly an Aspie thing (undiagnosed but colleague who volunteers for NAS said it is highly possible). Luckily the only time I have had my skin hurt like that is when I am coming down with a bug.

I have been getting a lot of painful spasms around my back and sides of my ribs. If I bend at all then sometimes my muscles go into a really painful spasm and I have to immediately move the other way to stretch it out. The pain lingers for ages after.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 am

i haven't worn vests for nearly 2 years and jeanss the same until this christmas as hate feeling oon the clothes on body, just wear tracky bottoms/fleeces.

i have a massage evry week, depp tissue, for past 2 years. first i was twitching/spasming like electric shocks, but gradually i have desensitivzed and it has realy helped me to losen up the spasms and don;t twitch unless i am really bad now and overexercised or exerted myself.

started reflexolog a couple of weeks ago and realaly enjoy that too. i sometimes feel bad a day or 2 after, but don;t know if that is the massage/reflex or the fact i feel good next day so tend to exercise/swim on taht day and suffer the next.

i liuve in a dressing gown all day as like to feel weight on my back with taht or a long jumper/tshire, cant stand shorter tops tjat don;t cover lower back and only go to waist.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby fredellarby » Sun May 06, 2012 4:06 am

I love massage. It's one of very few things that helps. When things get bad it seems to reset my system.
I do keep letting the masseuse know how much pressure I want.

That being said, I know it's not for everyone. For me, it's acupuncture that's hell.
fredellarby
UKFM Member

Postby LuluAnne » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 pm

I could not stand having a body massage but really find that reflexology helps me a lot. My feet are much more able to stand the massage and it helps me feel refreshed and it's just so nice to have someone take care of you for an hour while you relax.
LuluAnne
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:14 am

not long diagnosed but have had a couple fo massages since. as I have a prob with my lower back the person will only move lightly acfross that are but works resonably deep over the rest of me. like animal house at times I have to grab hold of the bed as I seem to flinch and twitch a bit ( lik eelectric running through you ) which feels wierd but the after effects have me feeling like I am walkin gon air.

Hope the massage/reflex help
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:05 am

Hia
The only massage i can take it a hot stone massage. No way could i have a deep tissue one i would be in so much pain, but the heat from the stones going over your muscles seem to really relax me and apparently its recomended for people with fibro.
Even had a massage a couple of times from a chiropractor, but couldnt move for a week, so gave that up.
x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby Saffi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:56 pm

It is for me, the ONLY thing that helps. It hurts while it is being done to start with because the muscles are so tense that they fight it. But my boyfriends sister is a masseuse :D

She is just too far away. However, she recommended getting cheap massages at colleges that train in beauty therapy as they need guinea pigs lol.

If I could have a full body massage every day, or one in the morning and one at night, I honestly think I could live a normal life. It combats the pain and fatigue and aids both my conditions (FM and HMS). It also relieves my headaches and gives me more energy.
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Has anyone ever heard or tried lymphatic drainage massage especially the Perrin technique?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping