[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help reading and writing

Help reading and writing

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help reading and writing

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

My computer is my lifeline and I hate not being able to use it, but I have found two programmes for my computer that may just prove to give me my computer life back:

When I get my migraine haze and cannot see I have found a free computer programme called free natural reader. basically I copy the print into the programme and it reads it to me. Not exactly like reading it myself and still haze I kinda unnatural feel to the voice, but it means that I can 'read' long lengthy posts/internet pages when I'm not feeling well.

When I get pain in my hands I have found that windows 7 has speech recognition software already installed. Thereby I can control my computer by voice and dictate anything that I want to write. It takes some getting used to and needs a lot of voice 'training', but when my hands won't do much it's there to do the writing for me.

:) Hope that this information will help someone. :D forgive me if someone has already started a thread about programmes like this, just felt I wanted to share these discoveries :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Re: Help reading and writing

Postby helenduffield » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Thank you for the tip....I tip...I think those programmes could really help me when my eyes are weird and my hands dont work properly, and im sure a lot of the forum users will feel the same. Do you have a direct link to the programme or address that you can give us please. x :lol: :lol: :lol:
helenduffield
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 pm

I've moved this into here as both applications can help us use a computer more comfortably :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I think this is the linky for free natural reader http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.htm The other application is part of Windows 7, so some searching thru your desktop should bring up the speech recognition software. If all else fails, Google will probably have info about where to find it, how to train it etc etc :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Roseofsharon, then you very much for sharing these discoveries with us, they could be very useful to some people. I can't recall there being a previous thread on a similar subject. If there is one tho, with how quickly software/programs/applications update and change, knowing about new versions and alternatives to ones already mentioned is never a bad thing to know :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks fluppypuffy yes that is the right link (as far as I can remember). There's quite a few different products out there that are similar so a google search will bring up suggestions if that particular programme is not one that others can get on with (although having used it I think it's the most user friendly at the moment.

As for speech recognition in windows 7 open your start menu and at the bottom is the search window, just type in speech recognition and the windows 7 version will come up. It should be straight forward to find (it was for me at least using that method). The speech recognition does take a lot of voice training (I suggest it be done on good days until you are familiar with it and it is familiar with you).

Initially it was the woman at the job centre that did my work focused interview that suggested speech recognition software to me, but until now I've not done any research into it, and one of the open universities extra software was a text to speech programme (not the one I recommended as I searched for better than what I got). when I finally tracked down these programmes and used them I thought that it might be helpful for others. I'll be glad even if it only helps one other person.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 am

Definitely going to give the speech recognition software a shot. Give my poor hands a break :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting this roseofsharon. :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby diamondintherough » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Many thanks for this as my brain regularly goes to mush and refuses to read words. Also its nice that the voices are more softly spoken. Also its not reading software as such but if people struggle to read books www.audible.co.uk sells audio books. I have just bought the hunger games as i love books but struggle to concentrate long enough to fully appreciate one.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping