Pain clinic???

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain clinic???

Postby supersha » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone tried a Pain clinic? I was talking to my chemist about my meds yesterday and she asked was I under a pain clinic, she then explained that id probably go once a fortnight there would be consultants there who can prescribe meds and monitor how they help and how to help me with my pain, im going to see my GP this week and see can they refer me to 1 but was wondering if anyone had tried it??
xxx
supersha
UKFM Member

Pain clinic???

Postby Mozza » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:00 pm

My gp referred me to the pain clinic, i saw consultant once, was told to be my own doctor, do what i could and don't do what i can't and he'd see me again in six months!! :-( xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Re: Pain clinic???

Postby sootybean56 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 pm

hi hope ur well
have done pain clinic which consists of
positive thinking, food you eat, medication, heat pads exercise
heat therapy accupunture , hydro pool
point is to obtain something which may help individual
i found hydro pool helped me i got 10 sessions which have now finished
still have pain but at moment not as intense
good luck
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

You normal get refered to the pain clinic if your GP cannot help you and your in need of more of a professional help.

They can open the doors to much more like therapies and different meds as they are more licensed to give out and try other meds.

They also have other ways to help relieve pain like injections instead of loads a pills. So much more the pain clinci can do for you
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby supersha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Ah thanks guys, well my GP is rubbish so il give it a go, i asked the receptionist to ask the Doc to refer me and they rang me in the evening asking me to go in on sat morning as my GP wasnt sure why i wanted to go!!! Im fuming, im always there asking them to help me and everytime they say oh its just your fibro get on with it, so how they can now say what is causing the pain is so annoying, ahhh ok rant over :-D sorry about that but im so fed up, i go to physio every 2 weeks and she says oh your to sore for physio at the moment come back in 2 weeks then she says the same! The docs say higher the ami which im only taking 20mg but they make me so drowsy of a morning, so im stuck in constant pain with no-one taking any notice, ah see i started ranting again haha well il keep you informed how my pain clinic go,s (if I even get refered)
Take care all
xx
supersha
UKFM Member

Postby JoJoLee » Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm

My pain service run a chronic pain group which I have been trying to get onto for 4 years; my employer made it difficult as I had few staff to delegate to but I have at last begun attending the 8 week course. I am so glad I did! The course covers all aspects of chronic pain, not just FM, and helps us to look at our thoughts/fears/ relaxation/ pacing etc and it has been a real boon so far. The regularity of pain clinic appointments is sparse and it usually only gives 5 minutes on meds and review of same, but the team as a whole put a lot of thought into the group. If you can get a pain clinic the same as this then I would say go for it, or if your local NHS doesnt do one, then ask for a referral to the nearest one. Use them for whatever they can provide and dont give up - I have fought for years and at last am seeing results for my perseverance, best of luck! :-D
JoJoLee
UKFM Member

Postby supersha » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi Jojo,
Sorry I didn't reply I havn't been on here, my G.P said there is no doctor at our pain clinic as the old 1 has retired and they have yet to replace him, and even with no doctor there is a 10mth wait to be assesed... But I cant go on the waiting list until they get a doctor :( Im so glad it was helping you and I hope your still happy with it.
Take care
Sharon xx
supersha
UKFM Member

Postby lucybythsea » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I went to the pain clinic. She told me she couldnt give me pain meds incase i became addicted, and that I would just have to live with FM. She also really humiliated me about my weight. She was a cow. But that was just her i think.
Hello, Im 30 and have severe fibro. Come check out my blog: http://www.fibrofandango.wordpress.com
lucybythsea
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping