positive thinking eases pain

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

positive thinking eases pain

Postby lornajhughes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:38 pm

i found this article, some might find it interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4215078.stm

lorna xx
lornajhughes
UKFM Newbie

Re: positive thinking eases pain

Postby denys » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Might work for some but has never really worked for me in any sustainable way :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby pixiepixie1982 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:26 pm

i agree this may work for some people. i used hypnobirthing two years ago and had a very easy labour. did not even feel the need for gas and air!!! so i think ther must be some truth in it.

i also chopped the end of my finger off when i was little, it never hurt untill i had registered that id done it!!!!! or maybe im abnormal!!! :-D

x x x x x x x x
pixiepixie1982
UKFM Member

Postby smileyface » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 am

Hi, I have used some things as distraction learnt through some support given re other things and it does help. If we sit and think "I am so weak [ I am!] and I am in pain [ I am] it is proven it is the brains way of focusing on it makes us worse evidently!
So by using other things such as positive thoughts and the sort of things in the pain websites and expert patient programme use it such as imagining you are in the sunshine [ need to imagine it looking out of my windows atm!] and hearing the birds singing and so on calms you down and helps your body manage the situ you are facing in a much better way. lowers BP , slows heart rate , reduces the hormones caused by stress and all that stuff. It does help.
I use classical music [ DAB radio setting for classic fm is easiest for me!] and some hobbies re crafting also I write so I can express some of the pain and so on more easily if I am up to it.
My pain team say it is a self fulfilling situ and the ways of positive management are much easier to cope with than the oh dear mode. when I have an oh dear day though I cant always manage the smiley face! can you? so then I feel a failure and have to have a strong chat with myself to say I can cope and do this even if on a million drugs and barely able to sit up etc! Smiley
smileyface
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping