[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Struggling to cope with fatigue

Struggling to cope with fatigue

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Struggling to cope with fatigue

Postby annablack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 am

Can anyone help with tips on coping with fatigue please? I find some days I can get through okay as difficult as it is, but other days, like today, I really can't cope with it as well as I'd like.
annablack
UKFM Member

Re: Struggling to cope with fatigue

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 pm

I've moved you into here anna as it seems a more suitable place for what you're asking about.

Fatigue is quite often worse to deal with than the pain. If we could have some decent, restful sleep, then coping with the other things would probably be a fair bit easier.

The usual things that are said about fatigue include listening to your body, pacing yourself and having regular breaks.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby annablack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I just don't know what to do with myself when my arms feel too heavy to lift, and I can't even manage making a cup of coffee, let alone something to eat, yet I can't sleep because I'm hurting too much.
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby Carole » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 pm

You have to learn to pace yourself and on good days not to go mad and overdo things because you feel like you can, as you will pay big time the day after. The doctor at the hospital when I was first diagnosed said you should have a nap sometime during the day when your body is telling you it needs a rest. other than that I don`t know of anything else ..we just have to learn to live with it
Carole
Carole
UKFM Member

Postby annablack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I have had a lot of stress over the last couple of weeks so it's been difficult pacing myself. Also I don't have anyone to help me when I need it. When I was diagnosed the doctor didn't give me massive amounts of information. I've had people telling me that I can't possibly have fibro because I still try and do things I enjoy on good days, ie ride on the back of a motorcycle occasionally when I feel up to it. I don't find these things easy but I want to carry on and be as normal as possible, especially because I don't have any help. I feel that getting as much information as I can from people who know what I'm going through is the best way to move forward. I don't want to quit the things I enjoy because of this illness, otherwise what's the point in being alive.
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Anna
You dont have to give up the things you want to do just carry on doing them but change the way you do them, learn to listen to your body.
Slow down and pace yourself you will find that you wont have all the energy you did have before so take extra breaks in between doing things.

When the fatigue hits i find its best to just go with it, i cant fight it so i have to rest, its the only way i know how to get through it. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby annablack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 pm

It really upset me when someone said that to me. I felt like I was being told I had to give up my life and all that's good in it to be able to have this illness. I don't want it. I feel like dying some days with it. And that was even before diagnosis. I got told because I still did the things I enjoyed on good days that I must be faking it for attention and dla. I've hardly told anyone I'm ill and I'm not claiming dla.
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:45 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:54 pm

hi anna, what a horrid thing to say to you,

i still work and still try to do things, and yes i pay for it most of the time,

i also dont tell many people,
my best freind and my own mother do not belive me when i tell them how bad i feel.

so i know how you feel, and even though i dont always take my own advice dont let the bu--ers grind you down,

your body your pain it is up to you alone how you live your life.

we dont know how things will go so while we can we should.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby annablack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I don't find any of these things easy. I struggle getting on and off a motorcycle and it hurts sitting on one, but I enjoy the ride so when I'm feeling like I'm having a better day I'll accept the offer of going on someone's bike. I hate the fact I know I'll never be able to ride a bike again myself. I hate that if I go for a night out it'll take a day or two to recover. I hate that my poor children have to do so much to help me when they should be busy playing. I hate the fact that it's taken me months just to decorate my hall and it'll take much longer to do the rest of the house when I used to be able to do it all well and in a short space of time. I have so much guilt it's unreal. I know full well my own mother doesn't believe me because she's never brought it up since I was diagnosed. I don't like attention which is why I like things like this forum. No one knows me, and everyone has similar experiences.
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm

hi anna you are being realy hard on yourself and i know its probably that you are feeling so bad,

its not your fault that you have this horrid thing and you are not alone in hateing what it takes from us.

you sound like you are totaly spent and need to recharge easyer said than done i know but some times you have to go easy on yourself

i have felt like you and have pushed and pushed myself untill i felt id be beter dead than living like this

but we have to learn to be kinder to our selves and adapt still trying myself and still haveing days of crying and shouting

but better out than in anyway i am going on to much you will get there

take care of yourself xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,

Had fibro 13yrs now and have learnt techniques to cope with the pain, know what my limitations are, know what puts me in a flare, know what meds to take for what pain, know when i need physio and where the pain is radiating from BUT my fatigue i cannot control.

I think shazq is right, you have to rest up when it hits and i have found nothing that helps the fatigue.

Pacing & cutting out stress and a healthy diet helps. Resting frequantly thro the day can help also if possible.

Even tho i try the above when the fatigue strikes i have to take to my bed and theres nothing i can do apart from :fingerscrossed: it passes soon.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby annablack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 pm

I probably am being far too hard on myself but family have always been hard on me so I tend to be the same with myself. I managed to get through that, but I still get tired very easily. The pain is very bad at the minute though.
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Ive had fibro for near on 6yrs now and tye drs r great when it comes to helping control the pain fibro causes me but when it comes to fatige they dont appear to b able to do anything and yet ovrr this last yr or so the fatigue has got so bad im lucky if i can make it out my house once a week which is proving very cuallenging as im a single parent to R kids and i feel like im not a decent parent to my children anymore today its a migrane thats floored me and cant keep eyes open for longer than half hr thanks to fatigue although hav constant pain its only a coiple times a week that pain stops me most of time its the fatigue and nothing can b done for it
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby annablack » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:57 pm

I feel wiped out now. It's not even close to the kids bedtime yet and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. I've had to sit them down with a dvd. I feel so guilty when it comes to things like this. My kids are more understanding than anyone though. That much I found even before I was diagnosed. I can't cope with normal daily life well at all, that it for sure.
annablack
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping