medications

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

medications

Postby meyer12 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm

I have recently been thinking about the meds i take on a daily basis and the length of time i have been taking them for. And i am wondering if i could be inadvertently damaging my liver or other organs.

I take Paracetamol, tramadol or codeine (i switch every 2 months), nefopam. (been taking for 2 years constantly now) I was also taking trazodone annd gabapentine. I know that to function i have to take them but i am worried about the effects they are having on my body. Ive developed IBS over the past 8 months and cant help but wonder if this is caused because of my meds.

Am i the only one who has this niggling question?

thanks x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Re: medications

Postby e777 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey there,

Unfortunately all meds have side effects as well as hopefully giving you a reduction in pain. If your gp is any good, you could make sure that they do a yearly check to make sure that your liver function, kidney function, etc. are in order.

IBS is one of the associated things that happens often to people with fibromyalgia. Depending on the severity of it, it might be manageable by monitoring and changing your diet. I've had some IBS stuff going on for about 15 years, and I've found that since I cut out dairy it has pretty much been a miracle cure. This is going to vary loads from person to person, and what irritates one will be fine for someone else.

Some anti inflammatory's can be tough on the stomach, but you could get your gp to prescribe something like nexium to protect it.

To me, taking the meds boils down to thinking about the alternative. If you do not take meds, what is your level of functioning? Once I think about this, it pretty much makes taking the meds something that has to be done rather than something I have a major choice about. Maybe its worth chatting with your doc about changing/altering some of the meds if you have a huge concern.
e777
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping