[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Whats the most stupid thing you have had said to you about F

Whats the most stupid thing you have had said to you about F

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Whats the most stupid thing you have had said to you about F

Postby valiumval » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:22 pm

The first doctor I saw and asked about the possibility of fibro, after 6 months of blood tests and scans, firstly told me that I didn't even know what fibro was, at which point I informed him that my sister was diagnosed in 2006 so yes I did know, he then proceeded to tell me "We'll then, you understand that Fibromyalgia is just a name we give people to shut them up and stop them whining" -lovely man :roll:
valiumval
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 pm

I'll post this even though its the flip of the thread title, but it makes a pleasant change.

My wife mostly sees the same GP but when he's not available she sees a young female GP, say late 20's maximum. She is very well suited to the job, great manner. When she saw her last the young GP asked how her appeal tribunal had gone and was amazed that she'd been put in WRAG as opposed to the support group almost 10 years after ill health retirement from work, and was further shocked to hear that there would be no financial support after a year.

The young GP's comment ? ..... Thats rediculous, fibromyalgia as you have it, is debilitating !

Breath of fresh air ....?

Macca. ;-)
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Daffy'sSoulmate » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 am

When I told my supposed friend last week about my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, I briefly explained about fatigue and pain and said basically it means my nervous system is over sensitised resulting in constant pain. To which she answered "Hahaha so you feel pain like a man then hahaha!". I didn't bother explaining any more to her after that!
Daffy'sSoulmate
UKFM Newbie

Postby Whiplashsal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:13 am

My doctor told me my fatigue was because i was overweight and my stiffness was due to sleeping and not being active and i would feel much better going for long walks! I changed doctor FAST!!!
Whiplashsal
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

When i went to my doc with a list of symptoms that i had had for several months and i suggested that i might have ME, he goes why do you think you have that, i said i done some research on the internet, he said it could tell you that you have cancer next week, its not reliable, just ignore it and get more exercise and more motivated and you will be fine. I came out so annoyed. Lucky i went back and saw my nice normal doctor and was referred to a rheumatologist which diagnosed fibro, i just cant beleive some doctors just fob you off and think your crazy.
vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby FinkyDink » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow, at the moment I'm feeling lucky to have such a supportive GP.

The mother in law, another story. Told her I've been signed off work for a month and her reply 'wow, what are you going to do with your month off?' if I could DO stuff, I wouldn't need a flippin 'month off'. Sheesh.

Mum is well trained though, she's done her research and emails me to say 'is today a good or bad day'. She will leave me alone if it's bad!!
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 pm

what a lovely mommy, no onr understands fibro doctors or ' normal's ive been told get a good nights sleep when im struggling with fatigue and you will feel beter tom. ha if only :pull-hair:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby rach34 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

My "friend" said to me you just need to loose soem weight and that would get rid of these aches and pains you think you have!
rach34
UKFM Member

Postby fatanne1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:04 pm

how rude . :crazy: ive had that said to me by various medics ,cheeky beggars im overwight because of condition, I dnt have condition because im overweight, b4 fm I was a nice size 12.. :scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Was once told by a GP that if I didn't open the fridge or my mouth I wouldn't have a (weight) problem !

I think he was trying to make a joke as he was still quite young etc but he failed big time! I'm sure given my response he won't try it again on another patient in a hurry!

You sometimes wonder what they teach them in med school .....
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Whats the most stupid thing you have had said to you abo

Postby fester » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 pm

In conversation someone recently referred to Fibro as "The Scivers Disease".

The individual is no longer a friend of mine!! and they wonder why?
fester
UKFM Newbie

Postby fatanne1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 pm

cheeky rats :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
fatanne1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 am

Maybe not the most stupid but the most honest!

Dr says, I have good news and bad news, Good news, I know what is wrong with you! You have fibromyalgia

Bad news, you are going to live a painfully long life!

This is what the Dr who diagnosed me said. He also has fibromyalgia.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 am

I applaud his honesty .....but maybe something you didn't want to hear just at that time.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am

[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Help / Tips on Coping