[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Time management & scheduling

Time management & scheduling

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Time management & scheduling

Postby Miss_Riot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:08 am

I'm really struggling with managing my time and all the things I need to get done. I have no time for me and my life seems to be reduced to laundry and sleep. My friend was telling me about spoon theory, which sounds like a great idea, along with weekly and monthly goal setting. But I was wondering if there is a weekly schedule spreadsheet/excell template that takes spoons of energy into account? if not are there any techy wizards that might make me one :P?

Any tips on time management with fibro is greatly appreciated!
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Re: Time management & scheduling

Postby denys » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 am

Sorry no we dont have things like that, how would you know how many spoons you had????? learn to pace, start a task and take regular breaks throughout it, much better than setting up a spreadsheet :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Miss_Riot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

I used to have a spreadsheet for cooking - it had the recipes I had and the ingredence needed and so I'd click on the meals I wanted that week and then end up with a shopping list out of it. I was hoping I could find a spreadsheet that worked on similar rules - so each activity (or recipe) would have its ingridence (the number of spoons needed), and then I could schedule each activity into my day with it telling me how many spoons I had taken up. It would basically do the maths for me.
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 pm

HI

I agree with Denys, if you were to set up a spreadsheet or any kind of timesheet and you fell behind because of exhaustion etc
then you will be back to square one, trying to catch up and feeling twice as bad :roll:
Just do what is essential but take your time, and if you feel ok then do something you feel you can manage but slowly as if you do
things in fits and bursts matching your energy you will find yourself so exhaused you will set yorself back too far to cope :(
I hope I havent discouraged you to down tools so to speak, it does take time, I find myself looking round saying that needs doing and that and that, I get up cos I feel I can do a bit then i push to get it all done than I spend the next day or 2 suffering for it so now I try to do 1 thing a day and have some energy left over at the weekend hehe :lol:

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Trying to set up something you're describing is an absolute nightmare, my OH has tried playing with such things over the time I've had FM and has got nowhere with it. It is a very rigid way of trying to manage things, which FM doesn't accommodate itself to. There are too many variables involved with FM such as how long you could do something for, times that you might feel capable of doing something, and changing your mind about what you want to do.

The more effective way to try and work out things would be to see how long you can do something on a reasonable day before becoming too uncomfortable to carry on, and likewise on a day where you don't feel so good, then calculate the average time and use that as your timing. Also see how long you need to rest between doing things, then factor that into setting yourself a daily To Do List/Schedule/aim and goal.

As we are all affected so very differently, it is impossible to say how many spoons are needed overall for each day. Whilst I may say that something uses up 2 spoons, someone else doing the same thing may regard it as needing 4 spoons. With such wides differences between us, calculating an average number for a day is nigh on impossible.

And as for asking someone to devise such a spreadsheet or app, speaking from my own experiences of OH and DS devising things for family and friends, it brings a lot of additional pressure with it.

With the numerous open source, freeware and shareware programs available, as well as apps for phones, you might find you're better working on a timed basis as it bends and twists, fitting in more with the vague, unpredictable nature of FM.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Miss_Riot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:51 pm

My problem is I forget or don't see the things that need doing and I have absolutely no structure in my life right now. I feel like all I'm doing is eating, sleeping and doing the laundry. If I have a vague schedule with plenty of space for wiggle room then at least I've got something to work with, because right now I just feel like I'm becoming this fat depressed person who has no use and gets nothing done.

I need something!
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Try looking at the various organiser/to do list software and apps there are. You devise your rota, can set alarms with some of them to remind you when you should be doing something etc.

I appreciate that you're needing something to help you get structure and organisation back into your life, but I don't know of anything that fits in with what you're wanting to count spoons. A lot of us use the organiser function on phones, as well as apps that we have found useful.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Miss_Riot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:20 pm

I've used every mac/iphone compatible to-do list going, and the only thing that kind of works is the native reminders app (but it only goes half way there.

What other apps do you suggest? I use my calendar but if I put everything in it I'd go nuts!
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I use the "my calendar" function that is pre~installed on the phone and a similar preinstalled program on my netty. For making a basic to~do list/shopping list/keeping tabs on cupboard contents "Out Of Milk" is effective as it syncs with my lists on the website. "MooLa" helps me keep track of my finances as my bank does not offer an app for Android at the moment.

These are all pretty straightforward things to use as I've found that simpler and clearer something is, the better I find it to use.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 pm

miss_riot sorry but we all suffer with FM so encounter all the problems you do, who set up your spreadsheet for your recipes, maybe they could devise something for you, but please believe us when we say it is far too rigid. How can someone else look at your laundry (for example) and say how much energy is going to be used up :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Also how can we (or anyone else) say how much energy you are going to wake up with every day :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Pacing is what you have to do, make a list of what needs doing, not daily but maybe over a couple of days, start a task work for 10 minutes and sit for 20 minutes, then go back to the task even if you feel alright take a break every 10 minutes religiously until you can make it 20 minutes with a 20 minute break (or whatever suits you) you say you cant remember what needs doing, everytime you notice something write it on your list (if its important mark it with a 1 less so 2 or a 3) then you will do all the important stuff and then the next level and the 3rd level will be left till last.

Only thing I can think of to help you :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I have a cleaning rota up in the kitchen but often can't stick to it as things come up, you have a bad day, have the hospital etc. But it gives me a visual reminder to work from. I did it based on my pacing and knowing what I can manage. I also put things down more than once to give me more attempts at getting the job done. But no chart or spread sheet will make you do it, only you can do that. Like the others have said learn to pace, learn what you can do before you get a pain increase and that is your starting point. As its school hols my son is priority and trying to do lots with him but for every day out I have to rest a day which means nothing more than the kitchen gets done. Literally, I just rest in bed, sleep and chill on the sofa on those days. So not much housework getting done at the moment.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Miss-Riot

I find just living day by day works better for me, i will see how i am feeling on the day and then decide what i am able to do.

I have to pace my day, it might mean i dont get very much done but its the only way i am able to get anything done.
I start by doing what i can then i will have to have a short rest for about 10 minutes before i start again, sometimes i might need a longer rest but i find this helps recharge my batteries.

I will stick to one room at a time. One thing i have had to learn since having fibro is you can only do what you can do, its not worth stressing yourself out over it. it has taken me 3yrs to accept this.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Miss_Riot » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I wasn't suggesting someone make one for me - and the idea was that I decide how much energy each task takes (on average) and work it out that way. Its not something rigid to stick by but at least it gives me an idea of what to do (because I will forget what I have to do and I jsut get overwhelmed). if I just take it day by day I feel like I spend half my time working out what it is Im ment to be doing. It does my head in! I found the recipe one online, but i've had a friend say they'll make me a spreadsheet and I'll see how it goes!
Miss_Riot
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:58 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Help / Tips on Coping