[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Healthy food!

Healthy food!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Healthy food!

Postby Whiplashsal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 pm

I am really unhappy with my weight and i really need to turn my eating habits around! i am currently eating its of pizza as they are easy to shove in the oven or to order fRom a takeaway! Chocolate is the other thing i eat in abundance and i know i shouldn't, i know it is contributing to my problems and Im constantly beating myself up about it!

i have told myself that when my little boy goes back to school i Will try and get back into a routine of cooking and making healthy meals again!

My question is how do you guys cope with cooking and do you have any quick easy and simple ideas i can incorporate which are nite time consuming and expensive (Im on a budget! :-(

Thanks
Whiplashsal
UKFM Member

Re: Healthy food!

Postby Cariad84 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am

Hiya Whiplashsal, I used to love cooking but at the moment that has taken a bit of a slip. What about things like beans on toast its quick, relatively cheap and fairly good for you, Jacket potatoes- you can just put them in the oven and forget about them for an hour or so then top them with tuna, cheese, beans, grated cheese and carrots etc. Omlettes you can put all sorts in them and again they are quick and so long as not too cheesy good for you. I have been thinking flapjacks would be a good snack for the energy, I also make sure I have as much fruit around as I can afford and yoghurts. Stew and soup in the winter will be good as well as you can use a little cheap meat and pearl barley and veg and once the initial chopping is done you don't even need to brown the meat and veg if your feeling too ill just chuck it all in th pot cover with stock and water and let it gently simmer away for a few hours until the meat is soft and the veg is cooked (I have found on the couple of times I have just chucked it all in as I was too ill to stand and brown the meat that it actually came out more tender). If all else fails we have been known to have Oat so simple or another cereal for tea, its not going to kill us for the odd few nights, oh or pasta and cheese or pesto or both. or potatoes and cheese. I know its a tiny bit more effort than pizza from a take away but it will make you feel better than the pizza in the end, try not to stress about food though as hard as it is not to, as it will only make you feel iller. It is so hard to find the energy to cook at times and the odd takeaway isn't going to kill you, I hope I have given you a few ideas to try... Now all I have got to do is try to stick to it better myself! lol Hope you are having a better day :-)
Cariad84
Last edited by Cariad84 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Postby ellyc73 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:45 am

if i have a tired day i tend to make a salad. this is quick to make and very healthy.
ellyc73
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm

i use to buy bags of ready chop veg and bung it in a pot with meat to make soup/stew.

kids now helping and using to to stuff pepper so don;t know if my kids have been adbucted by aliens or she is really bored with the holidays buy they are lovely.

other one makes a spag bol other day with corned beef instead of mince so easy to keep in and not go off if not used. also corned beef ash.
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby Elspeth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:18 pm

SALAD.

No cooking, cheap and healthy.

If you want to lose weight you could try fasting. It's also free! I'm doing a 2 day fast a week in a bid to lose weight and help my health.

the horizon documentary called 'eat, fast and live longer' on youtube is incredible. It's scientifically proven to kick start your body into healing itself, so helps FM and CFS. You're probably hating me for this suggestion but it works.
Elspeth
UKFM Member

Postby Angel777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Instead of chocolate ,I have Crispbread with chocolate spread on . Easy meals can be ready meals like cottage pies and veg you can put in the microwave , like the broccoli , cauli and carrot mix . Or frozen peas and vegetables. You can put little sausages in the oven with potatoes sliced and olive oil brushed on top , have with frozen veg done in microwave. You can bake fish in the oven with halved tomatoes . All are easy, hardly any prep at all.
I keep to very very easy . For pudding , tinned pineapple or similar ,or the fat free choc mousses are good . It's having what you fancy in an easy way and different way , just takes a little planning . And change it , keep it to easy , have variety . Cold meat , like corned beef with tinned new potatoes , salad or frozen veg . You can get veggie cottage pies , veggie burgers, veggie sausages if you do not eat meat , all easy and you can still have the vegetables too .
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Postby helen61 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Whiplash
i try and cook extra meals and freeze them and when i have a flare up i just reheat them in the microwave it is less expensive cause im buying in bulk and sometime i will use my slow cooker and fill it up and cook over night and the next day tub up the meals in individual containers
helen61
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping