[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - "flare ups"

"flare ups"

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

"flare ups"

Postby angie68 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

hello, ive seen a few posts on "flare ups" what exactly are these i hope you dont think im dumb, is it when we have pain all the time but when too much the pain is worse thats a flare up, my pain is a 5/6 but when ive over done things like today its over a 10 phewww and i have a high pain barrier. sometimes i dont know which pain is the worse, feet back thighs shoulders??? is anybody else the same, ??
angie68
UKFM Member

Re: "flare ups"

Postby Stormbringer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm having a flare up at the moment, it came on quite suddenly on Wednesday. Before then, the pain was around a 5 or 6, then within an hour it was up to a 9 in my hands and arms (not good, since I was at work and I couldn't type or pick up the phone). It spread to my shoulders and down my back, so I got myself home before it got so bad I couldn't walk.

I booked thursday as a day off, and don't work Fridays anyway, so hopefully it will have settled down enough that I can get into work on Monday. At the moment I'm counting down until I can take more painkillers, and just trying to stay comfortable. I'm so tired too, even if I've only been up for a few hours I just want to go back to bed and sleep.

I think this is my usual monthly flare up, my period is just starting and this happens every time. Luckily this type of flare up only lasts 4 or 5 days and then settles down into something manageable (although i never ever get pain free or feel completely better).

It's the flare ups that last weeks or months that I really hate, and I've no idea why they happen.

Hope you feel better soon x

Ruth
Stormbringer
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm

A flare up or flare is basically a period of time when symptoms are at their most acute. During a flare, symptoms can be seriously limiting or fully incapacitating. Severe pain or fatigue may leave you unable to leave the house, prepare food for yourself or even take a shower.

Flares seem to be as individual as the way FM affects us. For some, when things flare up, things start to settle back down to more like their usual level. For others tho (incl me) when things flare up, instead of settling back down to the original level, things remain at the higher/increased level which then becomes the usual level until the next flare up comes along :shock: :shock: :shock:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lindiriel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm still very uncertain about what my flare ups look like.

I have pain all the time. If I do too much one day, I will pay for it the next few with even worse pain and stiffness, exhaustion and feeling unwell that limits me doing things but it passes in a few days. I have to go to bed in the afternoon when it's bad as I feel so ill and it's the only time I sleep during the day.

The other thing is my sensitivity to meds - this presents as an insidious process over a couple of weeks where I slowly but surely start to have even worse nausea that moves on to vomiting especially in the morning when I'm always at my worst, even worse disturbed sleep and an increase in feeling awful and brain fog to the point I can barely function. Every time it takes a while before it dawns on me it's a medication. I stop it and the whole thing resolves over a few days and I'm back to my 'normal' levels of pain and feeling awful.

Are these flare ups?

Thanks,

Kath
Lindiriel
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping