Walking stick users in crowds

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking stick users in crowds

Postby Sazzle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:36 pm

So frustrating trying to walk through a crowd when you use a stick as are unsteady on your feet. Of course in a crowd nobody can see you are less abled than they are and you get shoved about no end. Had to go to Borough Market on a Saturday (yeah crazy I know but was up there for a course) and started having a panic attack and nearly passed out.

Was thinking of getting a brightly coloured hat with flashing lights on it to draw attention to my situation!

Actually even out of crowds in London it seems nobody gives a stuff. Several times had people walk so close to me they actually took my stick out from under me and was lucky not to end up on my backside in the gutter.

Desperate times could call for desperate measures. Going to get some glow in the dark paint and that reflective tape and bling up my Argos black walking stick for the dark nights.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Re: Walking stick users in crowds

Postby diane1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi

We have discussed blinging up our sticks on here. I started off with the inconspicuous black stick hoping no one would notice as I felt to young to be using one at 46. I then went up a step to a flower blue one that looked nice but I noticed to any older people using the same design . I then thought this is stupid I use it and need it so why not go colourful so I got a lovely pink spotty one that I intend on bedazzling to make it blingy. I havent managed it yet as my hands have been to bad but I will do it ,however people comment on it already and I now treat it as an accesorey .

I must admit i havent had problems like you mention and always have people move out of my way and hold doors open so dont know if its the stick or the blonde hair , its definately not the body :!: :!: :!:

Try blinging and make your own design, there is a website of a lady who takes orders for bling sticks but they are expensive.

Blue peter here we come , let us know how you get on.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Time to get out the glue and the sequins, Hobbycraft here I come! I have a stick that is black with pink and purple Sixties style squares on it. They sell them on walkingsticks direct I think. I will bling my cheap one as then if I muck it up it doesn't matter too much. Was thinking of adding some bells as well, like the Morris Men have. Then people will hear me coming as well as see me.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I'd thought of using my old black stick incase I make a pigs ear of it :pigoink 1: I'm going to wear rubber gloves as well so I dont stick my fingers together.

There is a site I think its glam sticks but they cost a fortune, you can get ideas from there though.

Put a picture up of your stick when its done on here and then when we see customised sticks we'll know there fellow fibromites.

Good Luck
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping