[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - coping with the cold

coping with the cold

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

coping with the cold

Postby meyer12 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am

I am wondering how those of you who are sensitive to the weather and tempreture cope with the cold? and wondering if you would all add to the thread with things which affect you and that help?

For me over the years ive found that if i am extreamly sensitive to the cold. Even in the summer when there is a cool breeze that touches my bear skin (head, face or arms) it is really painful. Now that winter is here i am starting to struggle. Do others find this too and what do you do about it?

I try to wear tights under my legins or trousers and long sleived tops or jumpers over tshirts. Gloves and hats. I look like im going on a polar expedition leaving the house sometimes and its not even december yet.
Im having to wear propper PJ's for bed. have the heating on almost constantly... thats causing a fortune!

How do other women cope? and men?

thanks kirst
meyer12
UKFM Member

Re: coping with the cold

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Stick the heat on when OH is out the door ! Have a blanket or duvet across the back of the sofa so that I can wrap it around me when watching tele. Thermals as necessary , hot ater bottle and anything else to meka me nice and snug.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Thick tights and fluffy socks :mrgreen:
Furry lined boots
Wearing several layers of thinner clothes rather than a big chunky layer as it doesn't take too much to make me over heat :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy:
Those reusable little heat pack things that go in gloves and you click them to release the heat, and boil them in water to recharge them (I've got 2 sets of them, one shaped like cupcakes and one shaped like frilly knickers)
Leccie blankie on the bed that can be left on all night

No doubt there are other things, but the fog has been rolling in all day so that's all I can manage at the mo. I do have a rather special OH (even tho he is growing a mo at the moment :nono: :nono: ) that I snuggle up to and pinch the extra warm he produces :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He's not available for hire/borrowing/weddings/bah mitzvahs tho :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:31 pm

I have the heating on most of the time as well. I have a fleece blanket with arms in, a onesie, slipper booties with a sachet that goes into the microwave to heat up. Tens machine for back pain, hot water bottle & wheat bags. thick p.j`s.
Even with all that i still have cold hands, nose & feet. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby monica » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 pm

I wear heaps of clothes in the winter but as I'm menopausal that does get a bit tricky when I have a hot flush! :oops:

Always wear a hat as that's where you lose most of your heat from, so my granny used to tell me..

My hot water bottle is never far away, even in the summer sometimes.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm

I have a pair of socks called Heat Holders, which are great - they are no thicker than standard walking boot socks, but are really warm. I have Raynaud's disease too, so winter isn't a great time for me at all. I remember wearing them in Morocco in October a few years ago, in a hostel in the mountains when it was really cold at night. I was standing on a tiled floor, just in the socks, and couldn't feel teh cold at all, In my feet alone would have set the Raynaud's off completely it was that cold
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby meyer12 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Think im going to go into an outdoorsie shop and see what heat retaining stuff they have as im sure they do things whi h retain the heat but also stop you getting too hot aswell.... Breathable i think is what the stuff is called. Ugh brain going slow today lol.
Will be getting some of those socks mentioned too as they sound magical :)
meyer12
UKFM Member

Postby VLB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm

I was diagnosed with FM in June this year although fairly sure I've had it since a riding accident in 2006. Being a horse riding instructor, a large part of my job involves being outside. I really suffer with the cold. One of my FM symptoms is Reynauds. Work have been great and have allowed me to adjust my job to include more office work but there is no avoiding the cold outdoors. Right now I'm wondering how I'm going to survive the winter. Its not even that cold yet, and already I go to work in 4 fleeces and a coat, and wear ski trousers whilst teaching, and ski socks and thermal boots and gloves and a very warm hat. Have some thermals but don't find that effective. Anyone any suggestions of a make ideal for outdoor active life style? The cold makes me even more tired than normal and makes the pain worse. Any suggestions that could help would be greatly appreciated.
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi. I have horses and find jods then fleece lined trousers under ski pants give enough layers to keep me warm. Top wise I wear a cotton polo neck under several fleece layers with a waterproof on top. The sealskin gloves work well for me, and I use the aigle neoprene lined wellies. My riding boots are the ariat ones with the laced sides cos I can fit big woolly socks under them.
My horses are still living out, I'm dreading them coming in overnight as, like you, I don't know how I'll cope with the winter.
Whereabouts are you?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 am

The best thermals I've found are the natural fabric (silk and or soft wool like marino). they tend to be dearer than the man made fibres but are both good 'cause they wick away any moisture so you remain warm and toasty with out getting damp spots from over heating.

Another good source of ideas are those catalogues that you get in magazines for older people ..you know the sort that contain loads of things you didn't know you neded until you see them :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby VLB » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for your reccomendations guys. Have been thinking of trying sealskin gloves but wasn't sure they would work, good to know they do. Ii also have the Ariat Grasmere boots. I use them for both teaching and riding and although they were expensive, it was definately money well spent. They really help keep my feet and legs warm and are very comfy when on my feet for 4 to 5 hours at at time. I hadn't thought of putting my fleece lined trousers under my ski pants. What a good idea! Will definately try that. I think I've found some reasonably prices silk thermals in Millets. Think ill give thoses a try. My cotton ones are useless and haven't washed well so now not comfortable either. Fingers crossed we will all find a solution to staying warm this winter.
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby tracyann » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 pm

I wrap up warm when go to bed as have trouble maintaining body temp but then spend night suffering from nights sweats Cant win ha ha ha :lol: Anyone else suffer with the night sweats, told its part of the ME
tracyann
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:31 pm

I have dreadful night sweats. Shiver all day & evening, then sweat all night. Wonderful illness this fibro!!

maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby WennyP » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello everyone! I got a pair of thick fleecy PJs from Sainsbury (I think they were £14...) and a lovely snuggly sheepskin effect/fleecy throw (just covers a double bed - well, ME in the double bed - OH gets overheated!) from M&S, plus some lovely thick flannelette sheets from Ponden Mill - lovely and toastie and the PJs and fleece I use in a flare-up too, along with a lightweight fleecy (thanks M&S) dressing gown (really light, but really warm - the lightness is good, as my other full-length dressing gown feels like I'm pulling on a suit of armour in the mornings!). Thick socks (yes, fleecy!) and furry lined slippers (thanks again, M&S!). I've asked for M&S vouchers for xmas as I need another pair of their fleecy PJs! The downside with those is that if you're like me and are menopausal, they don't half make you leak in the night :roll: Sorry to have gone on a bit, but I hope it helps ;-)
"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings"
WennyP
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping