[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - How long do your flare ups last?

How long do your flare ups last?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi all,

I hope FM is giving some of you a break? I'm still in my latest flare up, seems so far it's been going on about 2 weeks, one small sign it was ending then bam I'm mid cycle so ovulating so now ill have pelvic pain radiating down my legs for the next few weeks :-( never ending...I didn't realise it was an FM thing, can't think of it's name dysmenorrhea? Or is that the heavy bleeding, it's on that picture on here somewhere anyway...

So how long do you find your flare ups seem to last? I've noticed a link up to my female cycles, being that I tend to get a flare up at least 2weekly, connected to when I lm midcycle, I could handle a bit of pain 2 weekly for a few weeks but all the other FM symptoms makes it so hard to just get on with it, you all know what I mean :-)

Is everyone getting in the Christmas spirit yet?! I'm taking my lily to see Santa tomorrow!

Donna xxx

DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Re: How long do your flare ups last?

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Aaaah Enjoy Santa , :hohoho1: use to love this time of year when my kids were small ,really made the start of Christmas :xmastree1:

Back to FM ........I seem to have symptoms all the time as background ...pain , fatigue etc then if I over do things everything seems to flare up (if that make sense).

Often wondered how it effects others , I think I probably started out like you just occasional bouts of pain, then it escalated and became really bad following a fall .

I have another query , over the years I have had a number of times I was in hospital with pain related symptoms and then had various tests, have even gone on to have surgery but at post surgery follow up been told that things weren't as bad as they would have expected given my symptoms. Anyone else ever had this happen?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Yes me!! I've had three laparoscopies due to endometriosis, only to find the last one its got no worse apart from a cyst! Waste of a new scar lol

I think I'm like that too with the fatigue etc, but get flare ups of pain, I think I'd take the pain over the fatigue at the mo though xx

DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

I don't have flare~ups where things get worse then ease back over time. I have everything going off continually, then something happens to make everything jump up another level or 10. After a while, this increased level becomes my norm until the next spike :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: There's no pattern to how often it happens or how long it lasts, it comes down to what is happening around me. Things have been on the up over the past week and a bit, what with changes in weather, being walked by the doglet in a field that is more like a swamp (Dog knows how I haven't ended up on my bum yet :shock: :shock: ) Plus OH has been disrupting my rather poor and not~very~long sleep with his various bodily noises, mainly :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: So this has been adding even more to the mix, with me swinging from psychotic to deranged each time I breathe :scream-1: :too-upset: :pull-hair: :waiting: And I've been like this for almost 13 years :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:

When this happens, I find I handle it better by easing back on things until I start getting used to the new level, then I start trying to build things back up to where they were.

You'll probably find that just as we are all affected differently by/with the condition, the same can apply to how we are affected when it comes to things flaring up. Nothing can be described as typical or normal where FM is concerned, all we can be sure of is that it's going to make the rules up as it goes along for each of us :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Have fun going to see Santa with Lily, mine is a scary teenager now and would probably break Santa's knee if he sat on it :elfsnaowball: :elfsnaowball: :xmasdance1: :xmasdance1: :snowman1: :snowman1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DonnaLily » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks fluppy that's very interesting, I guess over time you learn your body again and again, I'm at the beginning of all this although I suspect I've had mild symptoms for about 6 years I'm definitely noticing changes the more I learn about FM the more I realise it's not 'just me' it's actually not 'normal' to have these things - I've been going through thinking everyone was like this!

I'm hoping lily doesn't get scared of Santa! I really want to buy a keyring of the picture they take :-) xx

DonnaLily
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:07 am

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby monica » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 am

My flare ups always happen in the colder months so it's quite bad at the moment. All the things I cope with really well in Summer I just struggle with at this time of year.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am

hi monica

I dread the winter as i have the same problem with my pain boundaries like flupps. So with the cold wet weather i feel like death warmed up and need loads of :coffee1: to keep me going. Then i have my declines, as a rule to a new base line until the next time. There are loads of information about keeping yourself warm, clothes, blankets, electric blankets etc. Just type in the search bar for more info.

Hope that helps in some small way and that we chat again soon
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby monica » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks ouchisme, that's a great username by the way :mrgreen:

I'll have a good scout around on here and find relevent stuff about keeping warm etc.,

Roll on Spring!!!!!

And I hope all who are having flare ups at the moment are finding ways to cope....
monica
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi
I feel like i am in an on going flare, i dont get good days, my pain is with me 24/7 it gets to a level where you are just about learning to live with it then my pain does increase but it never seems to go i have to learn to live with this new level of pain again and this is how it continues.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby maxtomads » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm with you on this one Shazq - since June it's been a progressive deterioration for me. Still keep hoping for a good day....

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm

This is my first winter with fibro, and I have a feeling it's going to be a tough learning curve! It's already a tough enough season for me - I am asthmatic, and have raynaud's disease.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby Gromit » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I am another that is in a constant flare - i just have days when I am more sore and days when I am less sore - it never goes away. Even with this new medicine I am still in pain - and its getting worse again :( I hate fibro - it sucks!

Gentle hugs to all that need them.

Interestingly I have Endo as well and my levels have pain have always far outreached the amount of endo that they found when they went in for my 2 laps and my periods are horrendous as well xxx
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 am

I always had horrendous periods and was being treated for endo. Everything got so bad I ended up having a hysterectomy in my late 30's as I just couldn't cope with the symptoms any more. This was way before any Dx of FM ....looking back I am convinced it was all related and I may have had this "illness " since my early teens.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby logue82 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am

Hi donna Lilly I have experienced same thing with my monthly cycle. Thankfully the doctor I seen at the time was quite clued up with fm and suggested staying on the pill for three packs at a time. This has been a godsend for me and may be worth looking into.
logue82
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping