Book recommendations?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Book recommendations?

Postby Laus2002 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Hello there,
I just wondered if anyone knew of any good books on Fibromyalgia? There are a lot on the other Fibromyalgia website to choose from but I would like to hear if anyone has any that were especially good for you? Can anyone help at all?

Laus xxxx
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Re: Good books

Postby NatashaK » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi Laus,

I've only just plucked up the courage to buy some books despite being diagnosed in July. I think it's about accepting that it's for real, if you know what I mean.

I have bough two books, nearly finished one.

The first one is called "Fibromyagia - Understanding and getting relief from pain that won't go away" by Dr Goldenburg. Here's the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0749923067/qid=1132093429/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_11_8/202-2298896-5893422

It is very good but a bit technical, however the doctor's wife suffers with FM and he too has suffered from chronic pain in the past which gives him a sympathetic view point. I am finding it helpful though to understand more about it. On amazon you can read the first chapter as a trial.

The other one, which I haven't started but also looks good is called:
"Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain - Your Self Treatment Guide"
A friend recommended it to me. I'll let you know if it's any good when I've read it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007115024/qid=1132093651/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-2298896-5893422

Hope that helps.
Bye for now.

Natasha x
NatashaK
UKFM Member

Books

Postby Laus2002 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi again!
Thanks for the recommendations! However, my very supportive partner and my dad clubbed together to buy me a few to start off my collection so I thought I would let you know how I have found them!

The most useful so far has been a book entitled 'Fibromyalgia- The First Year'. As someone who has been recently diagnosed I am finding it an amazing help. It goes through the first week, first full month and first full year with you and is written by someone who deals with FM on a professional level and also has the illness. Another good thing is that it is a book for the UK which I prefer for some reason!

Another great one is 'Fibromyalgia for dummies' Sometimes I have found all the information that I have tried to digest in the last week very, very daunting (Fibrofog is really not helping!!). This is a very simple book with chapters for your family to read aswell to help them understand it. My dad and partner specifically wanted me to get this book so that it can be passed around my family for them to have a better understanding.

I hope this may help someone who is finding the search for information as difficult as I have!

Laus xxx
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Books

Postby Bridget » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi my names Bridget Im new to all this chat stuff, but I thought Id let you know of a really brill book that I call my bible, its called chronic fatigue syndrome fibromyalgia and other invisable illnesses the comprehensive guide by katrina berne, ph.d. It's very good and say's just about all you need to know I've found it a really informative book hope you can get it!!!

Bridget :)
Bridget
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping