[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Showing loved ones how much you appreciate them?

Showing loved ones how much you appreciate them?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Showing loved ones how much you appreciate them?

Postby csangel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 am

Hi,
I've not been by here for a little while, I am awaiting a diagnosis but my GP is pretty convinced I have fibro - am expecting a rheumy appointment through the post any day :fingerscrossed:

Anyways, have been trying to get my head around being affected by this whole thing, and for a while I just pushed on, but after a bad virus that knocked me out for 2 weeks, and various flares in between, have started trying to work out a new way of living day to day. I still manage to work full time, although the fatigue is really getting to me at the moment, but am struggling with home life. Hubby has been amazing - took a little while for both of us to work out what the other needed, but he does all the cooking, washing up, helps me with the pets and is really looking after me. :hugs:

I feel so lucky to have him, and was wondering how I could let him know how much he means to me? My mum has been great too, and came out with something that shocked me the other day - she feels so helpless, and wishes she could do something to help... Now that probably makes sense for most people, but my mum has never been much to show how she cares for me. My brother would get all the affection when we were younger, and it has taken years for her to start to believe my aches and pains and take things seriously. :roll:

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to show my family how much they mean to me and how much I appreciate the things they do for me? It's Christmas, and I want to show a bit of Christmas spirit! :hohoho1:

Thank you :-)
Health is not valued until sickness comes. ~Thomas Fuller
csangel
UKFM Member

Re: Showing loved ones how much you appreciate them?

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Do any of them have a certain hobby or interest , I got my sister a magazine subscription for Xmas this year. She has a very busy life and I am always telling her to slow down, so now I know that every month she will make a cup of tea and take some me time to read the magazine. I know its one she likes as ages ago when in her house I saw it on her kitchen table and she even said she loved getting it as then she makke a cup of tea etc..problem was she never always remembered to pick it up when shopping.

Justs thought...hope you find something to suit. Will be back on to see if there is anything I can use for my OH. :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I've often found that the smaller, thoughtful and very unexpected things go down well. OH has various things on the go and can often be found looking longingly at something he could use/would like/had as a child etc. Knowing that a special occasion may be near, or sometimes just because of who he is and what he means to me, it wouldn't be the first time I've tracked something down to give to him. With it being something he wasn't expecting, the look on his face and the way he acts shows that it means a lot to him.

It doesn't have to be something huuge and expensive, just something that shows how much you think of them. Is there something that mum and hubby do hobby~wise, collect, enjoy but can't do very often, would like to try/do??? If there is, there could be something associated with it that you could get for them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby csangel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Hmmm... Thank you for your input! I have found some hazelnut vodka? he was after that he doesn't know whether he can get anymore, so that will be a nice surprise for him. Have also decided to get him a new leather jacket for his birthday (this all makes him sound like a tough guy doesn't it?! He's a big softee really) as his old one is rather tatty.

Good idea about the magazine subscription, although neither of them are really into anything like this...

I guess I was sort of wondering what little things you can do that helps to show your loved ones how much they mean to you. I'm a bit useless at the moment, but was thinking of maybe planning a day out? or half a day out? with a sit down meal and a trip to the garden centre, or something? Any ideas on how to make little things more special? It's our first married Christmas and the year hasn't been as expected with one thing or another and me being so ill...

Fluppy, tis nice to know there are others out there in the same situation! I've had knee problems since I was 12 and if my brother was ever hurting it would be 'aw there there', whereas with me they sort of just ignored my moaning after a while...
I'm actually quite close to my brother now... resented him for quite a while, and we're not really touchy/huggy with each other, but when my grandma died last January I realised just how close we were and am really learning to appreciate other people, not just take them for granted. I've grown up a lot in the last year...
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm

A trip out sounds nice, is there somewhere that is extra special for you and hubby, such as somewhere with a happy memory attached to it or where you went together for the first time???

I've always found mums are always harder to find those special prezzies and thing before, don't know if it's because of all the choice and possibilities I'm worried I'll choose something that, altho nice, isn't quite right, if that makes sense :-? :-? :-?

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby monica » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:15 pm

I do forget sometimes how much my hubby does for me. it would be hard to cope without him so I organise trips/days out and pay for them so they are a special treat. He works very hard in a stressful job so he appreciates me organsing it all.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby csangel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

There's a pub that we used to go to most weekends for lunch - nothing special but it was before we lived together and was nice to have time to ourselves if you see what I mean, so might go there... I was wondering about writing him a short letter about how what he does means so much to me even when I don't show it... something soppy :-P

I've got my mum some handmade jewellery for Christmas - not made by me but by a close friend. She likes pretty things, and always complains if I spend too much, so hopefully this will go down well! :fingerscrossed:

We're planning a weeks holiday in April for our anniversary, so that will be a nice break for both of us. Will have to think of a nice suprise that will show him how much I love him.

(I think I'm going through one of those phases where I feel guilty about not being able to do much for myself...) looking forward to Christmas and some time off work to rest and recover before the new year. Have an appointment with the Rheumy that has just come through today - 15th Jan.... a year to the day since my grandma died... going to be a tough start to the year! :-?

Thank you for taking some time to suggest a few things... I know my brain isn't working well at the moment, trying to remember all the bits I need to sort for CHristmas! Gentle hugs to you all xxx
csangel
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping