[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - ANY Help Appreciated

ANY Help Appreciated

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ANY Help Appreciated

Postby LucyLiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:29 pm

As the title says really, very mich in need of some help.

Having finally reached "breaking point" with my Fibro I have an appointment with a doctor I know and trust to hopefully discuss some kind of medication that can help with my pain, not sure how hopeful I am though - I've had a few other problems in recent years which have seen me on various tablets for pain relief and none of them seem to ease the Fibro pain.

Aside from the obvious - hot baths, heat pads etc - has anyone found any home remedied which are especially successful for pain relief? Thankfully I'm self employed so when the pain stops me from sleeping I'm able to rearrange my day accordingly, but otherwise I'd be needing time off sick and unable to work. Treatments, supplements, diet changes....anything at all I'm willing to give it a go!!
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Re: ANY Help Appreciated

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

It can be a bit hit and miss when trying to find what's right for you as what may be of help to one may not do so for another. Alot of us use the heat packs, hottie botties etc. I have a leccie blankie on all night at a low setting so I don't completely seize up during the night. Others have found a TENs machine can help them. Meds wise, this linky might be worth a looky http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx Even if you've tried ones mentioned, you could ask your GP if there are any similar meds in the different types/groups that might be suitable for you to try.

Treatments wise, there have been mentions of acupuncture and hydrotherapy being helpful, so seeing if they are available in your area might be another option.

If you're finding the emotional/psychological side of the condition difficult to manage, talking therapies might be helpful. If you're finding the emotional/psychological side of things difficult to deal with, counselling/CBT can help with spotting triggers and devising ways for you to deal with things more effectively.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LucyLiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm

In terms of the emotional/psychological side I'm already seeing a CBT. I do have trouble with anxiety and in turn I have good days and bad days with the Fibro - some days I'm ready to fight it to the bitter end, others I'm completely irrational and talk myself into having every fatal disease known to man.

The issue really is the physical pain, I'm pretty good at taking control of the emotional stuff but ultimately my thoughts - whether good or bad - are triggered by the pain which is most definitely there! What I need (which I guess is what we all need) is some kind of long term solution. I use hot water bottles and have very hot baths but the relief is temporary at best.

This is exhausting isn't it!!
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:39 pm

It's very exhausting, I'm nearly 13 years into my quest and I'm still looking for my ultimate long term cocktail :facepalm: :facepalm: Finding that long term recipe involves seeing what might be suitable for you, meds and treatments wise, then trying the different things in different combos until you start to find what helps. It can take a while as there can be a fair amount of trial and error, and at times it can seem like you're going nowhere fast, but you can get there.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Lucyliz as flup has said it is a very slow process, you can get advice from the pharmacist in your local chemist and lots of them have some knowledge of herbal treatments too and their interactions so maybe this is a place to start :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Help / Tips on Coping