[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - To a better day....

To a better day....

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

To a better day....

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Sometimes when you think you know what life is throwing at you it serves a curve ball , Well that has happened to me recently...

my late Mother in law used to alway give me a token for the local beauty salon for Xmas/birthday and the like . Since her death almost 2 years ago I have missed my little treats. She used to get annoyed that she always got me the same thing but my response was always "sure it gives me some down time in this crazy world and I don't feel guilty 'cause I aint paying."

So yesterday I thought I would treat myself and booked a facial, only to be told on arrival that there was a 1/2 hour back massage as part of a after Jan. offer.

Well I had both my facial and my massage and although the massage gave me slight tingling feeling, a bit like electricity running through me I enjoyed both so much I started to fall asleep.

Today I thought I would feel rubbish ......a common occurance after I have left the safety of my sofa.......Instead I am on a better day something I haven't had for so long I can't remember.

I'don't know if it was getting out or the massage but given my reaction I'm going for the massage , the girl was great and only applied gentle pressure as she took into account my FM and bad back.

Am trying to convince myself I should do this more often as it would be too pricey for a monthly occurance...or would it ..given my reaction.

Anybody else find massage helps ?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: To a better day....

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Never had a massage ISM but it sounds as if it has done you the world of good. Try booking another and never feel bad about spending some money if it makes you feel good as these feelings are worth clinging onto. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm

I glad you feel better after giving yourself a nice treat. :hugs:

I have never had a massage, i have always been scared to have one as i am so sensitive, i am in pain every day and the thought of making it worse scares me. :crazy:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:28 am

Shazq I am also in a lot of daily pain both from FM and my bad back & if I am honest if I had known about the massage I probably wouldn't have booked the facial in the first place ( i was even concerned that the facial would take too long as I usually need to stretch quite frequently ) but once there I just took the head staggers and went for it.

the offer is on for February as well so Lotty I might just give it another go...just in the cause of science you understand !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby moomoos » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi, I too think you should go back and have another massage if it makes you feel better. We have to take the niceness and not feel bad about it.

I had a back and shoulder massage last summer not knowing I had FM and it really hurt me and for about a week and a half I suffered so badly, but she put on loads of pressure and wasnt gentle at all. I'd love to have a gentle massage cos I'm sure it would feel good. So I say go for it and enjoy xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Sounds like a plan ISM go for the massage if the offer is still on and if you find it does help then justification isnt needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

Hi ISM

I'm still trying to get around all the different topics and threads on here and I've been a member of this site for just over a year now lol. So sorry if I'm adding onto this thread a bit late but just had to ad dmy thoughts.

In March last year my mum suggested I try aromatherapy massage to try and help with the pain. I was a bit dubious at first as like so many of you the thought of anyone touching me made me want to cry with pain lol. But I managed to find someone at a salon near me who was willing to work with me on the pressure they applied and I have to say I absolutely loved it. It was an hour of me time to completely relax and the instant effect of the pain easing was a very welcome relief lol. Unfortunately it wasn't cheap, so my mum went to train as a professional aromatherapy masseur (think that's right? lol flippin fibro fog) and she got all the proper oils and bed and everything. I can't even tell the difference between my mums massage and the salon! I now have an hours all over session once a week and I can definitely feel the benefits. I'm not as stiff as I used to be, my energy levels are slightly better and so is the pain.

I still get bad days and flares but overall I really find that having a massage once a week has improved the way I am. As long as you can find someone who is willing to ease up on the pressure when you need them to then I don't see it doing any harm at all. But I definitely think you should go back and re test this theory lol

Hope that helps

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:39 am

Hi LouLou , don't worry about when you post ..not comment to late I will take all advice. Haven't you a lovely mum to do that so that she could help you .

Have decided I am going to go back for the massage before the end of the month. As I am usually flexible about times I should be able to get it fitted in. Since I don't earn anymore I find justifying the expense iof it a bit difficult but I will try and use the idea that if it helps me feel better /do more it is worth the financial input. :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm

I know ISM my mum is fab don't know what I would do without her.

I was the same about the cost, we don't have much spare but as it helps me then I felt it was justified enough. If you ask the salon you go to they may be able to do like a tailored package for you. The one I used to go to would give me a full 1 hr body massage once a month then in between say every 2 weeks I would have a half hour session on just the parts which really hurt me at the time - may help cost wise?

You can always borrow my mum though lol I don't mind sharing her :lol:

I think the fact that you take time out for yourself and you are almost forced into relaxing is why it helps me so much. It's not like you can do a lot while lying down being massaged lol. I guess it helps the body unwind and un tense itself which helps the pain and stiffness.

Fingers crossed you keep feeling the benefits. Any little difference helps lol.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:17 pm

ISM, quite a lot of salons do gift vouchers that can be used towards the costs of various treatments, products etc. Depending on what you have got coming up celebration wise, when family and friends ask about ideas for you, you could suggest a voucher for the salon (assuming that they do gift voucher~things) that could be used towards the cost of a massage. As well as easing a little of your worry about the financial side of it, you'd also be getting something that you know benefits you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Help / Tips on Coping