[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - What helps you?

What helps you?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What helps you?

Postby Jodie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Hellooo!

I was thinking about buying myself a funky walking stick and an automatic slicer / chopper thingy and I was wondering if anyone could share any brilliant ideas about things that help them deal with their Fibromyalgia.

I haven't had a walking stick before because I thought that using one would hurt my sholder, what with it taking the extra weight. But I do have Achilles Bursitis and enthesitis in my feet and knees which is particularly bad on my right leg. Does anyone who does use a walking stick have any shoulder or arm pain from this? Also, any ideas on where to buy a seriously funky folding walking stick that will last?

Also, the slicer. Tecnically I already have one and he's called Abd, my lovely boyfriend. But when he's away he has to leave me piles of pre-chopped vege in the fridge which isn't very practical or healthy so I was thinking of getting some genius machine to do it for me. Does anyone own such a thing?

Things that help me at the moment are:

- Memory foam matress topper (the ones with the bobbled surface to stop you getting too hot)
- Electric blanket
- Wheat bags
- Massive pregnant people body pillow
- lavendar oil before bed
- swimming

Does anyone have any other tips on top of the above two questions?

Thanks guys! :-)
Jodie
UKFM Newbie

Re: What helps you?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm

I've moved you into her Jodie with you asking about things that can help as it's the most suitable part of the forum for you.

This linky takes you to a long running topic where people add things to it that help them viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10032 Having a look thru it might help you find something that could be useful.

As well as an OH that can chop things up when needed, I also have a teenager that can do it, and when all else fails I have a food processor with cutting discs that make light work of the veggies.

So far I haven't needed a walking stick :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Should I find that I do need one tho, I'll be looking for the pinkiest and girliest one I can find :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulamcl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:19 am

hi there try boots.com they sell folding walking sticks. havent seen any great slicers although i am thinking of getting one myself.

things that help me are :

pilates
yoga
hypnotherapy app on my phone to help me relax at bedtime
heat
lavender pillow spray
reiki
positive thinking
healthy diet
stuborness to not let FM bet me :lol:
defo my memory foam mattress
pregabalin is working for me so far with no side effects yet (been on it 3mths increasing dose)
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby crystal18 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 pm

As a Reiki Master/Teacher and a Holistic Therapist, I found that Reiki and meditation helps me to relax and helps with pain relief. I've started providing treatments to Clients again and have learnt to pace myself. I still take pain medication but not as much as I used to and feel more positive.

Holistic and Complementary Treatments promotes relaxation, pain relief and other health benefits and can be used as part of your treatment plan.
crystal18
UKFM Newbie

Postby ccat21 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Jodie,
I have walking sticks, one that the physio gave me (which does not fold)& some that I have brought (folding types) I have found that the ones that are made to put your whole hand onto it such as Anatomically sticks are good with my carpal tunnel but you can only use them in one hand ( which is the opposite to the bad leg ) so I also have the normal types for when I need to switch hands. I have found using one great once you get over the felling that everyone is watching you! Its helped my friends to realise that I am in pain & they are more understanding.
Is there anyone that you know that you can borrow one from, a spare one that is a I lent one to a friend to see how she got on with using one before she brought one herself.
Good luck with it.
ccat21
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping