[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - How hard should I push myself?

How hard should I push myself?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How hard should I push myself?

Postby happybean » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi everyone :-D
I'm new to this forum and I wanted to get people's advice about working and pacing and pushing ourselves :-? :-?

I was diagnosed with fibro 5 years ago and by far my worse symptom is the fatigue, followed by muscle spasms, buzzing muscles, generally silly aching, hurting, stabbing, vibrating muscle thingys!

Up to 2 years ago I was working full time with teenagers who have been excluded from school. It's a really mad, stressful job - more like social work than teaching at times. Two years ago I was allowed to drop to 3 days a week (9 to 5) but it's still crazy and I'm such a perfectionist, I often end up doing stuff (like checking emails, marking) on my days off anyway. I probably feel worse now than I have done in all that time, despite being part time and having the school holidays. It doesn't seem to have helped at all (unsurprisingly when I do extra stuff, but it wouldn't get done otherwise)

I just don't know how much longer I could or should keep pushing myself at work like this. I sleep really badly and even if I do sleep better one night, I invariably feel as if I haven't :(

Oddly, though, work is so exhausting that I sometimes get soooooooooo tired that I sleep a bit better and then feel a bit better the next day. I actually feel better in September when the new term starts because the shock of working after 6 weeks off makes me sleep a bit better for a while. Not so sure this is healthy though! I really do push myself and sometimes can't believe I have made it to the end of the day.

At my support group, someone said if people with FM didn't lie down and rest when they feel that crushing fatigue, then they can die :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: This scared me - although it possibly isn't true as I would be dying on a regular basis by now :crazy:

I do love my work and with the inner London allowance it pays 10 times better than anything else I could do part time. But I'm thinking of leaving at the end of this academic year, just to see if my symptoms improve by doing something less challenging. I'm scared of taking this step as we will have to move house because of the loss of salary, but I'm thinking I need to do it for the sake of my health and quality of life (which is pretty poor!)

Would it help?????? Or am I going to feel rubbish whatever I do?
happybean
UKFM Member

Re: How hard should I push myself?

Postby shazq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum happybean

Its very hard to work through the fatigue & pain plus it`s not good to be in a stressful job either as this can bring on flares so all this is probably not helping you.

Finding a less stressful job will probably be much better for you, you have to put yourself first, i had to pack up working, i worked full time then went down to part time and even changed jobs but my body could not cope with it. :( I really miss working but i am now able to pace my day out and do things in my own time and when my fatigue is bad i can rest. I am more relaxed.

Pushing yourself everyday must be making your fatigue worse so when you get home from work try to have some you time and relax, have to tried a wheat bag? you heat them in the microwave, you can get them with lavender in, you can wrap them around your neck, they are soothing. A Tens machine is good for achy backs. Hot water bottles are good for achy back as well.

I have never heard of anyone dieing if they dont lay down with fatigue :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

We miss out on our deep sleep so its common not to have a good nights kip. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby happybean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks shazq :-D

I have got a heated wheat bag. I know I should use it more often! Sounds like a good destress plan after work.

I think in my heart I have made up my mind to leave this summer. I don't really want to but I think it is the best thing for my health, if not our finances :( I feel encouraged that you feel more relaxed now, so maybe there is hope that I won't feel like I'm wandering round in a hurting, tired fog for the rest of my life!
happybean
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

hi happybean :lol: love the name :lol:

we are all so different and only you will know if your doing to much :yikes:
think you have already made your mind up :-) think your doing the right thing.
the stress of your work will be making your fibro much worse :roll:

you may be able to go back to work after some rest time :-D

welcome to the forum :cow-wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping