[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hiring a mobility scooter while in London

Hiring a mobility scooter while in London

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hiring a mobility scooter while in London

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Does anyone know how I can go about hiring a mobility scooter while in London for a few day?

Heading over mid July would need it for about 5 days

Thanks
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Hiring a mobility scooter while in London

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Linky that might be somewhere to start ISM http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-in ... ire-repair

This linky is for the site mentioned in the above linky http://www.directmobility.co.uk/

List of other places that could help with hiring http://www.dlf.org.uk/factsheets/some_r ... n_area.pdf

Hope you have a good time :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks FP, used the visit London as a first step and have e-mailed a few people to try adn see if they rent out small light weight scooters.
Will let you know how I get one. Not sure I have my head around the whole going to London /using a scooter but have at least acknowledged it would be the only way to join in with rest of family.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi ISM

When i looked into hiring one for a couple of days i found them very expensive, do you know anyone who would lend you theirs? or even buy a light weight wheelchair if hubby does not mind pushing you around which might be a better option if you are visiting London as its very busy.

Have a look on e-bay for ones for sale as it will probably be cheaper to buy than to hire. :goodluck1: and have a good trip to London.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Hope you have a good trip ISM and manage to get around :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun May 26, 2013 12:58 am

Shazq, do you think a wheelchair would be better? I know very little about either, as at home I tend to just get out in the car and then just usually don't walk far as I can't walk far due to other problems plus the after effect of fatigue as I couldn't afford the down time this would cause on such a short trip. I just thought a small " portable " scooter would be OK for all concerned and make more of an impact in getting through crowds.

At the moment I have had a couple of quotes which average out at about £15-20 a day and inc delivery to our hotel. Yes it's quite a bit onto the holiday but if it means everyone enjoying themselves then I guess its one of those "extras" you have to put up with.

I have looked on E-bay And other sites with the intension of seeing if it would be more cost effective to purchase but nothing suitable at the moment in my area

Anyone elses thoughts gratefully received
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Sun May 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi ISM,

you got me thinking there :-? have you had a look here?

http://www.discountmobilitydirect.co.uk ... tAod1igAag

just a little test to compare prices for Go Go Elite Traveller Plus 4

http://www.discountmobilitydirect.co.uk ... oters.aspx

question 1: do you think it comfy for arms and hands? stretched out infront :shooting: ?
question 2: where would you put the shopping? the little baskets don't hold much and bags at the space by the feet will fall off eventually, I think

don't get me wrong, I myself are looking with half an eye to buy one too sometime in the future
and then I like to travel in style and it has to be practical too

some of them look like a three year old on his tricycle could knock me out
and there are fab looking ones which actually look quite similar like a vespa scooter http://www.mobility-scooters.co.uk/8mph

money is of course another factor
how far and back does one full charged battery get you, is this far enough? can you store a second battery somewhere on the scooter to double your distance
how easy is it to take off the battery for recharging at home
how difficult is it for thiefs to take the battery off your scooter outside a shop, is it lockable?
is your scooter narrow enough to fit through your front door to protect it against the rain etc or theft again
is it possible to set the seat height, ancle of the back rest, distance of the handle bar etc for your special requirement and how easy is this to do
how easy is it to add additional storage space
lol
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOBILITY-SCOOTE ... B007E2JVD4

is there anywhere a place where it is possible to test drive?
keep me up to date please
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun May 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks Fibro-Lu the prices for the Go Go Elite Traveller Plus 4 is amazing , woul dalmost be worth my while buy rather than renting!

Have to say that I thought I had my head around all of this, enough that I have got other rental prices etc however sitting here on a nice sunny afternoon looking at the details has made my heart go thud! Not sure my heart is truly in the right place to buy a scooter , renting for a short break is bad enough. :(
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Sun May 26, 2013 7:02 pm

[color=#400080]

will also give you a chance to find out what you want to get out of a scooter
[[color=#800080]
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm

shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Mon May 27, 2013 3:39 pm

I know this is going of the toppic but I came across that manual, and I love manuals
in general it does give a good idea in what to look for in a scooter

http://www.valuemobility.co.uk/reposito ... ler_om.pdf
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm

I did try and post earlier but seems the gremlins ate it as it wizzed through the atmosphere. :( :shock:

Anyway this morning , OH and I were looking through the offers on the discount scooter site linked earlier , some amazing offers for scooters if you are buying. Has really got me thinking about how I want to tackle this whole ,,,,,,will I /won't I ......get a scooter issue for London .thing

I sometimes go on other forums and had left a thread outlining my doubts and problems with this subject.

Then right on cue as I was looking at the scooters, a friend rang and asked me up for a coffee so that I could try her scooter(s) and in her words " see how much they give you back your independance"

So off we went with me not really looking forward to the whole process.

OH & I arrived at her home in bright sunshine and it wasn't long before I was bunny hopping down her lane in a little portable scooter. As my confidence grew so did my speed and daring. Soon we were racing to the end of the lane.

One of the scooters my friend has is so cute, doesn't even look like mobility scooter more like a tricycle for adults and I can sort of see myself in it dashing around London but as for other bigger stuff not sure at all .

If anyone interested in the travel scoot this is thier web page,http://www.travelscoot.com/ seems a good company to work with about your mobility issues and my friend has nothing but positive feedback.

I also had a very sucessful morning as my friend then asked me if I would like to borrow her travel scoot for my time in London . :yikes: It is ideal as it fold quickly and easily, can go on the tube & other public transport and if there are steps can be lifted up to the next flat surface.

So if going to London IN july and it looks as if this mad woman is going to runn you over, give me a wave as it probably is although probably still should be on learner plates.

I really did enjoy myself and yes yet again I can see how useful they can be and I understand they it could be a vital part of our family trip to London but as for the picture of me using the scooter as I go shopping or out & about around London it isn't really happening with me at the moment .Not sure how to get over the mental block I have about it.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi ISM

I think you are such an admirable lady to have made this decision. At the moment I can still walk and do relatively long distances (with lots of breaks) but on my bad bad days I struggle to walk far at all and I imagine that's how it is for a lot of you on here all the time.

FM takes a lot away from us, but there are ways around it and the main thing is to not let it beat you. I am so glad you had a positive experience on your freinds scooter I can just imagine you whizzing down the road, sun shining, hair flying about in the breeze, a big smile on your face and that really makes me smile thinking of that.

I hope you have a fab time in London in July, me and Oh are down there one weekend in July (not sure of sates yet) to meet up with his friend and his OH before we go away to get married so I'll keep my eyes open for the girl racer on the cool scooter, and hop on to hitch a ride maybe? lol

xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 pm

it is a big worry at the moment Lou, part of me say go for it but the "old me" is horrified at the idea.

I had a close family member who used one of the big chunky mobility scooters and so to me Scooters are always associated with being really disabled and still can't see myself in that catagory, yet I know I can't do distances at all .

Decisions decisions
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue May 28, 2013 4:13 pm

I just had a look at the link you put up on the travelscoot, they look fab :-D that would be ideal for London. That was not a UK site but it would be interesting to see how much it cost to buy in the UK.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping