[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Out & About during the Summer(or any other time of the year

Out & About during the Summer(or any other time of the year

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Out & About during the Summer(or any other time of the year

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Summer has eventually raised its head and we have had a number of nice bright sunny days . Also it isn't that long until schools are out for the summer hols (3 weeks for me) but I know its a little bit longer in other parts of the country .

With the summer hols, some of us might be thinking of the occasional trip out, I know I am busy trying to see what we can do when the family go to London for a few days in July . It was this that has caused me to discover some amazing opportunities for people like us who have a disability.

A number of attractions have indicated that as the disabled person, I will either pay a concession rate or get in free, as will my OH as he will be deemed my carer. This has made an amazing difference to our family holiday budget and on the strength of it, I also thought about going to see a show in the West End while we are there.

So I went through many different web sites, trying to see what we would all like and what we could afford. Eventually deciding to try for the Lion King. I had to ring the booking office for the days we were interested in and during the conversation (which didn't seem to be going in our favour given the popularity of the show ) mentioned to the girl that I might also need somewhere to store my Travel scoot during the performance. The conversation then totally changed, she checked her bookings again and found 4 seats in an area that they had for those with a disability, which is almost in the middle of the ground floor stalls !

The bill was a nice surprise as well as again I got half price as did my OH so we save the price of a seat, plus I think dealing directly with the theatre meant there were no surcharges, so the price of the seat in that area was much less than I had expected it to be .

The moral of the tale , do your research , look ahead and if possible, ring the attraction to let them know you are coming .(this is important as some for H&S reasons have to limit the number of those with mobility difficulties on one tour )

I have also discovered that I can park in the short stay car par of my local airport at long stay car park rates, so making it easier to get into & out of the airport (again just need to let them know, show them my Blue Badge and I get another ticket to leave in my car window during my absence)

I hope this helps others who might be heading out and about save a few pennies . I would suggest that you either photocopy your Blue Badge /DLA or ESA Award as some attractions need proof of disability.

Happy holidays
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Out & About during the Summer(or any other time of the y

Postby LouLou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

ISM

That's fab news! Sounds like you have such a fab break in store and I have heard so many great reviews of the Lion King so enjoy! It's great to hear these kinds of experiences where people are willing to accommodate those who have a disability.

It's suprising where you can save a few pounds and how they do add up - London isn't cheap.

It's been lovely, sunny and warm here since Friday which has been a very welcome break I can tell you lol.

I really hope you have a fab time ISM, you deserve it and I'll keep my eyes open for the lady scooting past me if we happen to be in London at the same time lol.

xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:33 pm

DD and I are getting really excited about it LouLou :-D :-D I promised her a trip to London many years ago and somehow it never managed to get organised so this is it about 5 years late! She is bringing a cousin along who is staying with us for the summer so that will be a huge surprise her cousin as well as she doesn't know about the London trip yet

I was getting a bit worked up about the whole thing as I don't get out and about much, mainly cause I get so tired afterwards and it can take days for me to recover but as my good friend is lending me her scoot it makes such a difference to where I can and can not go & do .

The TravelScoot is an amazing wee machine , can fold up like a buggy and goes into the hold of the plane just like the childrens buggies so no problems even in the airport. If no lift, it can be held on escalators so it means I have access to the whole of the Tube routes not just relying on accessibility stations.

As I am borrowing someone elses scooter I am going to go to the Shopmobility nr me and do a little course ......a bit like the old cycling proficency test that you used to do in primary school (Your probably too young for them ...ask your mum lol) but for mobility scooters . Just want my friend to know that I will do everything I can to take care of it and use it properly. She might come along as well, although if that happens we might not finish the course for laughing, we had such good fun racing up & down her lane the other day when I tired it for the first time I really felt about 15 again.

Will let you know how I get on In London and don't forget to stop me if you see me ...I'm sure I would be ready for a coffee lol

Take care of that cold
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

It sounds like you and your family are in for a good time. How old are your children?

Good for you for doing homework. I bet there are many people who did not know about these small but very appreciative perks. They sure will add up quickly.

I live in Ontario and if you have a disabled parking permit, you are entitled to a few discounts.

You do not need a fishing license if you have a permit.....saving about £25

You get 50% off camping in any provincial park. This can save us anywhere from £20 -£25 a night depending on the park.

Both of these things are great for us. With our 30ft caravan it saves us £25 a night, we have a boat and we love fishing

This weekend we are going camping and for the whole weekend our rate will be £23. This includes the caravan site with hydro, the boat launch and slip fee.....pretty reasonable weekend.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:33 pm

That's a great saving whoami,which I'm sure really adds up over the season if you get out and about and given its so reasonable why wouldn't you. Have a great weekend hope the sun shines :-) .

I have been amazed at the things that are available if you just ask. The hotel has also been really good and arranged that we can store luggage before we check in and are trying to have our rooms available from as early in the day as possible,so that I can have a short rest.

My daughter and her cousin are both mid teens just the right age to explore the Capital.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm

The girls will love Oxford Street for shopping! I love London, it's a great place to visit.

Whoami I am so jealous. The one thing I've always wanted to drive through the States in a camper van, staying at National Parks.

I hope u both have a fab time this summer. I have my own little adventure starting in August and it's the one thing keeping me going.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 am

Lou Lou.......forget about going to the United States, dream of coming to Canada.LOL

Sorry to say but from what I have heard Canadians are more polite, respect the British people more and you do not have to worry about people carrying a gun hidden here. You can't walk down the street here with a gun in your pocket, pants or hidden.

I miss where I call home...North Yorkshire and think that the UK and Canada have much more to see than the US. I have seen
A lot of the states, 95% of Canada.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am

Whoami, Canada is where I'm thinking. My uncle moved there about 20 years ago and is always offering us his place to stay so we only have flights to pay for. Me, my sister and our other halves are thinking of coming over next year.

I've done the US a few times - well Florida and though I never had a bad experience there with the people or anything I think it's time for something new! lol

I won't let FM stop me lol.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Lou Lou......I have a chuckle when I write your name, that is what friends call me, LOL

What part of Canada is your family in?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am

Lol Whoami it's been one of my nicknames since I was little. Was also called Loopy Lou and we've just had a new member join the forum with that name lol.

I've asked my Uncle which part of Canada he is in as the Fog has stolen it from my memory (I've asked him so many times so he's used to me by now lol)

As me and my sister have both had to pay out a lot in the last year (she got married last Sep and it's my turn in August) plus house renovations we are really considering visiting Canada next year if we can afford it (and if neither of us had or is having a little one in the meantime lol)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm

what a wonderful day,sun's high in the sky and glistening on the local river as I go for training Scoot with my friend. In the course of ourconversation I suddenly realise that its 3years since I've been so far from the car park............ Still need to work on my emergency stop! :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:30 pm

LOL.....stay away from the river until you have control of the brakes..LOL
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby BonnGayle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm

I had a good experiance in London I thought I'd share
So if you travel into london on the train you can use your train ticket to get lots of two for one things
As Im a bit limpy right now we decided to go on the river cruise we went from Big Ben all the way to Greenwich , its a lovely trip and they do a ad lib commentary on most of them , at Greenwich we walked to the observatory now dont be put off by the big hill follow the signs around the back of the hill to the disabled entrance its a much less steep hill ! and we got special disabled entrance rate and he got careres rate
then we mooched around by the cutty sark and then took the boat back to Big Ben.
It was such a lovely day not all that pricey and not much walking involved either
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the tip BG still trying to sort out what we all want to do so will put it in the pending list . The girls seem to have gone for the gory attractions, so a nice river trip and gentle Scoot around Greenwich might be a nice idea
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby BonnGayle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm

That two for one deal has the london dungeon as well I think
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping