[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Issues with senses

Issues with senses

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Issues with senses

Postby leikela » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi all, I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this but I'm having real issues with my senses when I'm having a particularly bad day (like today). My poor son keeps trying to talk to me but it feels like he's yelling through through a microphone, it hurts so much! Same issue with bright lights and even my clothes hurt my skin terribly. Any advice on how to cope with it? I've tried searching but my brain just isn't functioning today :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
leikela
UKFM Member

Re: Issues with senses

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Being sensitive to lights, noises, touches etc is fairly common amongst us and is one of the known associated problems with FM. Some are sensitive to meds and find it difficult to take a lot of the ones used for FM. Noises can be like you have been experiencing today, with everything seeming like it has been turned all the way up to 11. For some, lights are so bright that they only way they cope with being in them is to wear glasses with tints, or even sunglasses. And as for touches, bumps and things.......earlier today my OH just caught my chin with his elbow while I was bending down to get something. Whilst it was just a gentle tap to him, to me it felt as if I'd been whacked a million times by that wrecking ball in Miley Cyrus's latest video :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lucyhobbit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:22 pm

oh my goodness, I am so glad that its not just me!!!! The hypersensitivity to noise I thought was just in my head (techinically it still is of course but I can chalk that up to fibro) and the touch sensitivity is sooooo bad at the moment :cry: and I have always found that the more sensitive I am to touch the clumsier I get and therefore hurt myself more! Maybe that's the fibro making sure I know its still there (as if I could forget). Aside from wrapping myself in cotton wool, does anyone have any good ways to deal with the sensitivity?
Lucyhobbit
UKFM Newbie

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:24 pm

I usually phrase it as follows

being able to smell the noise of colours

it is a sensory overload and best for me is to reduce all input to an absolute minimum for some time
(or brain might end up like a burned toast from a broken toaster)

smelling things not there (usually bad smells unfortunately), sniffing everywhere until the penny drops
seeing a torch light going " on and off" and "on and off" click, click etc on the bedroom wall, except it is one of my eyes playing tricks
quite some home entertainment lol
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Lisalou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:11 pm

A few months late but was just reading the threads. I am so glad I found this.

I am so sensitive to medication that I have to be in total desperation before I can take anything to help me.

The sense of smells... I smell burning from time to time, like a rubbery burning smell. I often get so paranoid and lose sleep cos I'm convinced that something in the house is burning. Then like the lady above the penny drops and I realise there is no smell its only me that smells it.

This site is so fantastic, I have been thinking I have been losing the plot for so long. X x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 pm

I also am very sensitive to noise, I can't bear going into busy pubs any more, what with that and being jostled by the crowd, which hurts has made me avoid them.

I cannot have the radio on in the car if I am talking to someone as I can't concentrate, and I am back on a phased return at work in an open plan office and really struggling with it.

and funnily enough I had a strong whiff of cheesy crisps today and it was someone sitting many desks away,

xxx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping