[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - I love exercise - what works for you?

I love exercise - what works for you?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I love exercise - what works for you?

Postby smellycatmou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi

I tried yoga but it hurt too much, what do you do that you can manage?

My fave are jillian Michaels workouts, jogging and aerobics! The sorest parts for me are knees, elbows and hands....
Xxx
smellycatmou
UKFM Member

Re: I love exercise - what works for you?

Postby Diane64 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I too love to work out, I go to 3/4 classes a week, which might be bokwa, classes that are similar to insanity workouts, legs,bums and tums and also go out jogging with my sister as we are doing the race for life this June.

My muscles ache like hell, but I stopped doing anything between nov/jan due too a virus and found my aches and pains were still there every day without doing exercise, so I would rather keep going until I know its time for me to slow down.

I asked the doctor if it was okay to put myself through such crazy work outs, his answer was to keep going as it will keep me in good stead re muscle wastage when have to slow it down..i like the fact that I am still very active most days plus I think its good for mental health well being..xx
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I also think that we benefit from as much activity as can be tolerated.

For me, I like to walk. I walk whenever I can. Sometimes it doesn't happen and other times I can get out for a good long walk. I always take either my cane or walking sticks. I find my lower back tells me when I need to stop.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LizzyMac » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am

Walking has been great for me.. really helps with the stiffness.

But in truth, I've always hated exercise. A lot of it is just too painful now anyway, but I've found I have to persevere to have any chance of not living in constant pain. That's a huge motivator!
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby HelenE56 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 am

I find exercise is the key to pain relief. I do an Iyengar yoga class once a week, and walk as often as possible. I have recently started using the exercise bike, rowing machine and treadmill at the gym, trying to go twice a week. I am aiming to spread the exercise evenly through the week with rest days in between and not to over do it at each session. If I do this I find I have less pain and don't need to take as many painkillers which is good for my IBS. I am hoping this will help me to become stronger and cope better with day to day housework and playing with my two year old grandson.
HelenE56
UKFM Newbie

Postby BonnGayle » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I love exercise ..but only because it makes me feel better :-D I do wii fit yoga and stepping every day ive built myself up from 10 mins to 45 and wow what a difference !
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Mon May 26, 2014 9:24 pm

I love swimming, I will go as often as i can....i love going as there is a little health suite attached to the baths i go to and included in my membership is use of it, so i go and sit in the jacuzzi and spend about half an hour in the steam room afterwards!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:20 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Smelly I hope you dont mind me asking you and everyone else this question seeing as its about exercise - do any of you use hand weights? I have small light ones and a larger pair, think 2kg each. I used to use them when I exercised for weightloss pre fibro. I'm thinking it could help me strengthen my arms. Obviously not do too much work with them but some...
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Theresa, I have used ankle weights and sometimes do parts of my workout with dumb bells, I have had to reduce the weight of them though due to constant pain in my shoulder and cant lift them the same any more, if it works for you re building strength then keep it up, the more we continue to keep going with exercise helps in the long run I think and puts you in good stead. Saying that I have been really lazy and unmotivated lately, I have it in head all day about a class I will go to at night then find myself in my pygamas with a glass of wine!! lol..Doing the 5k race for life next month, so I better get my finger out!! :crazy:
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 am

Hahahahaha Diane. Good luck with the race x One day I will do it. Every year I think about it but dont do it.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi I find Tai Chi works for me helps to strength the muscles and is so gentle and relaxing get a real buzz from it :-D
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby euryleia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a crosstrainer at home which I try and use a few times a week while watching an episode of something. That and a light session with hand weights (I got the Davina dumbell set) usually helps. I occasionally do yoga (Yoga for Dummies DVD is excellent) but fell out of the habit. I know I'm a lot worse when I don't do some form of exercise, even walking helps.
euryleia
UKFM Member

Postby BonnGayle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Ive learnt to love fitness as someone says it hurts just as much if not more if you dont so I try my best, I use the wii fit program right now till I feel confident to progress to a class or two I do 25 mins of the stepping and then 15 of yoga ive built that up from about 10 mins add that to a healthy eating regime and my fibro is mjch easier to cope with
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I go for a 20 minute walk :penguin: :penguin: most days (sometimes more) but have been going swimming twice a week for the last 5 months and love it. Early morning they have some lanes over the breadth and shallow water as that is all my arms manage without pain. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping