Wheelchair?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Wheelchair?

Postby Emsy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:15 pm

So I'm having a bit of a predicament, I thought I'd share...

I'm still waiting for my rheumatologist appt to get a diagnoses (it's at the end of Feb.) and I've been having major problems since December. My health has gone quickly downhill especially over the last month or so. I'm now having major pain in my legs pretty much all the time, making walking really really difficult. I'm fatigues constantly. I find it hard to stand at the kitchen and make food, or do anything really for any extended period of time.

I've been using crutches when I go out - my husband had a pair he no longer used - but I went to my GP the other day with them and she kind of gave them a sideways glance and asked why I used them and where I got them from.

I'm realising that my mobility is becoming a problem. My husband has just had a new power chair (he's a full-time chair user) meaning he no longer uses his manual chair. I used his manual chair today while I was cooking lunch and it was like a godsend. However I'm worried about using it more. I'm worried I'll become dependent on it, I'm worried that because I have no diagnoses yet I'll get doctors looking at me funny ("There's nothing wrong with you, why are you using that?") I'm worried that my neighbours will see me using the chair that used to be my husband's and give me funny looks. I'm worried I'm being too over the top, that I should just use crutches, or nothing at all, and that will help rather than giving in. I don't want to use the chair all the time, but I just feel like it'll help so much if I have to be out of the house for a long time - shopping, for example - which I've not been able to do for so long because of this pain and fatigue.

Has anyone else had to go through this decision? I don't know what to do. I feel confused.

Thanks guys :)
Emsy
UKFM Member

Re: Wheelchair?

Postby denys » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 am

instead of using your husbands old things ask your doc to refer you to the occupational health team and get a proper assessment, that way you will be given aids that fit you not your hubby.

If your doc asks why you feel you need the referral then tell her about the issues you are having and that you have found using some of your husbands aids has helped you to manage better but wish to have a proper assessment to make sure that there isnt something available more suited to your needs.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Wheelchair?

Postby zappa20 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:25 am

Would agree with Denys, to ask for an assessment of your own. You might find an adjustable perching stool much easier to work with in the kitchen than a wheelchair.. It's also important you stay as mobile as you possibly can, for as long as you possibly can. Muscles become weak very quickly when you're not using them, and can take a lot of work and effort to build back up. My friend had a bad stroke recently and is fighting a daily hard battle to try and get back on her feet. So proper professional advice is recommended.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping