[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - how to deal with anger/depression over a diagnosis

how to deal with anger/depression over a diagnosis

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how to deal with anger/depression over a diagnosis

Postby sjc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi everyone, hope you are all well....and hope we can get some better weather....I don't know about anyone else, but my fibro tends to get worse in the horrible cold weather, so I am just looking forward to abit of good weather..

Anyways, does anyone feel like me (I suppose there be quick a few)!

But I just really cannot seem to learn to get on with my life like I did before I develop fibro...I know it sounds daft and I don't wish to sound like I moaning, but for me, I wish I know what causes fibromyalgia...I think that because I cannot understand why causes fibromyalgia, it is stopping me from moving on and dealing with the condition.

I feel that doctors and even my family don't believe in fibromyalgia and the problems it can cause...I feel that some people (especially the non believers) think it is all in our head...

Even though I am lucky compared to some people in this world and I should be grateful for that, but then on the other hand I feel angry for having fibromyalgia...

Does this sound weird?

What frustrates you guys more - the symptoms of fibromyalgia or not knowing what causes the condition? Or do you get more frustrated at people not understanding the condition and taking it more seriously?

How can someone learn how to deal with fibromyalgia, especially when there is no cure?

Any ideas would be appreciated...sorry to sound melancholy but just wondered how to be more positive in dealing with fibro as I feel angry at it for some reasons...

Take care..xxxx
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: how to deal with anger/depression over a diagnosis

Postby denys » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 am

Have a read through the topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10653 it goes through the stages of grief after getting a diagnosis, one of the stages is anger and it explains how we will often revisit different stages even after seemingly having got to acceptance.

Maybe that is what is happening to you, accept its just a stage and be kind to yourself until it passes, you ask 'why me' :?: but the other question is 'why not' :?:

Your old life may have changed but you are still alive just on a different path with different abilities and strengths, you just need to figure out what they are :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I hope this stage is short lived and you manage to find some peace
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 am

I'm not angry. I don't think "why me?" I don't accept that there is nothing I can do about this condition, or that I'm stuck with it for life (apparently that's the denial phase, which I've been in for over 2 years now). If anything, I'm impatient for researchers to find a cause and cure, but I'm also well aware that there are things I can do that I am NOT currently doing that can improve things for me personally. I read forums like this and realise that I am MUCH better off than a huge number of FM sufferers, and I intend to stay that way. My advice - find your own level in all things, don't necessarily accept the doom and gloom you read online will apply to you, because there ARE some of us leading a mostly normal life, not everyone ends up housebound, in a wheelchair, out of work, or any of the other sad things I read are happening to people here on a daily basis. I still do almost all the things I did before diagnosis, including working full time, (apart from running, which I intend to start again this year), I just do them more slowly and cautiously.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 am

I know of a number of people who manage perfectly well carrying on their lives with fibro only causing them a few interruptions and others who are totally floored with it. Its great that you can still do everything you want SchroedingersCat and long may it continue.

I feel its good to hear about members who are managing well because it gives hope to others who are maybe not coping as well. Positivity is important and I think the more research the better for all of us so more happy stories please :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 am

I seem to be one of the few people diagnosed with Fibro by the Rheumatologist with several text book symptoms to get rid of Fibro. I've been symptom free for over 5 years now. So I think that's pretty positive. :-D
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Brilliant Zappa, hope it doesnt come back :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:18 am

Me too. :yikes: Somehow I don't think it will because it developed in a very unique set of circumstances with loads of stress and lack of sleep triggers prior to all the dreaded symptoms developing. Now I'm very aware of not allowing these situations to develop again, as well as having made lifestyle and attitude changes.

Feel the merry go round of medical professionals and tests , everyone has to go through before finally diagnosed, and the hitting your head against a brick wall feeling, because no one can really understand how sore or tired you can feel doesn't help much. And contributes greatly to the severity of Fibro in the beginning.

So if there was to be a reccurrance there wouldn't be all that added stress and frustration with doctors,family and friends to cope with and as I've learned to deal with things differently it shouldn't get the chance to take root again.

Well fingers crossed that's the theory. lol.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping