[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - University, studying & fibrofog

University, studying & fibrofog

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

University, studying & fibrofog

Postby skistar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

:-D Hello everyone,

I am in need of some advice about coping with Fibrofog, the serious lack of concentration and the general inability to actually function is crushing my chances of completing my studying. I have not long returned to University and am really struggling to manage the assignments, I am on my study week and have 'wasted' over half of it wandering around the house trying to figure out what I am doing or sat in front of my computer trying to focus on the work to absolutely no avail.

Naturally I am now beginning to really panic, next week I am back to placement and Uni combined so won't get another decent opportunity to complete the assignment work, the next break is after the hand in dates :shock: It is a one year intensive course so there isn't time for this flaming condition to get in the way grrr.

Any thoughts, tips, advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you in advance Skistar xxx
skistar
UKFM Newbie

Re: University, studying & fibrofog

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Have you spoken to your tutors and the uni's disability adviser~type people about FM and how it is affecting you?? Even tho it is an intensive course, there should still be something that can be done to help, such as granting an extension, giving you access to additional info/notes that you may have missed etc.

The only thing I can think of is being really strict with yourself during the time you have left this week, break down what you have to do into smaller segments, arrange them in a logical order, then split the remaining days up into periods where you tackle each step, allowing yourself some rests/breaks in between to help pace yourself, and really push yourself to stick with your plan.

Either that or you need to employ a mum~type person to stand over you, like what used to happen at school and you had homework that needed starting, as well as completing on the night before it was due to be handed in.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HazelB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 pm

It may also help to give your tutors information about fibro and how it affects you. Xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby FibroChemist » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Hello fellow student,

Fibrofog gets me quite bad too, nightmare when you've got stuff due in.

My primary advice is this: you need to speak to your supervisor, the department disability co-ordinator/advisor, and the university's disability services. At least one of those people should know the protocol for granting you an extension/ getting out of doing it at all. The way it works at my university is that you have a form to fill in called the mitigating circumstances form, you fill in the form explaining why you need the extension/mitigation and ask your doctor to do the accompanying part. This then goes to committee and they decide whether it's prudent or not. I've never had a problem with getting it. It may seem like a lot of faff, but you'll feel better for it- trust me, the panic will still be there but you'll know that if push comes to shove, you've got a safety net.

In terms of handling the fog itself, write a list of every component of everything that needs doing- so if you're writing an essay, don't just put "essay" on a to do list, break it down into individual paragraphs/ sections of papers that need reading/etc. I find chunking it down significantly helps because I don't then spend most of my time trying to remember what I was supposed be to doing!

Good luck, many hugs,

Emily
FibroChemist
UKFM Newbie

Postby skistar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies, you are wonderful people.

I have had alot of problems with the Disabled support services, due to contacting them in Nov 2013 prior to my course to organise support but nothing happening despite further attempts at contact, so in general alot of the support that could have been in place has been hugely delayed...but I have now have a great disability advisor who is sorting it all out and has sorted a learning contract so I am able to apply for extensions, extended book loans etc which is reassuring and a weight off my mind.

I have an open policy so all my tutors, placement supervisors/mentor know about my conditions. I followed your advice and broke things down into individual paragraphs/ sections of papers that need reading/etc. I find chunking it down significantly helps because I don't then spend most of my time trying to remember what I was supposed be to doing!

Gosh I do wonder what on earth I am doing sometimes lol!!!

Many thanks x
skistar
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping