[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Please help. At my wits end. :(

Please help. At my wits end. :(

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Please help. At my wits end. :(

Postby HeppiBean » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 pm

For the last couple of weeks I've been doing pretty well. Was following advice from my physio to push but pace myself and although I woke up most mornings really achey (what's new?!) It was manageable. This lasted 2 weeks then suddenly on Sunday it hit me like a tonne of bricks.

We were taking a slow walk home from a friends little boys first birthday party when the pain literally stopped me in my tracks. I suddenly had a huge muscle spasm in my back that became a severe cramp that left me in agony.

Every time I put my foot forward to take a step, as my foot touched the floor I had severe shooting pains going through my foot, up my leg and into my lower back, increasing the pain I was already having there.

My head suddenly felt like a bomb had exploded inside my skull and I couldn't keep my eyes open.

We ended up getting a taxi the rest of the way home (a five minute walk) but even the taxi journey caused me extreme pain.

Pain which has been with me ever since.

I know this is a flare (one of the worst I have had so far) but I don't know what to do.

My painkillers aren't even knocking the edge off now.

I had an appointment with physio again today which basically consisted of me crying and her telling me forget my previous exercises and just focus on some gentle stretches to stop me seizing up too badly while I ride this out.

She suggested I see my doctor tomorrow to get some stronger pain killers but when I spoke to them previously they were reluctant to do so.

I am at a complete loss.

Neither me nor my partner drive so we have to walk most places and I simply can't right now. I don't know whether to invest in some crutches or a stick or not. I have been reluctant to up until now as I don't want to become reliant on them or if they would even help.

The majority of my pain is in my lower back down my legs and feet.

I'm sorry for such a long post I just truly don't know what to do and physio said that other sufferers will give the best advice. :(

Please, anything to make this easier. I'm only 21 and feel completely useless :'(

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: Please help. At my wits end. :(

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 am

Katie luv, you are far from useless. Look at those little ones and they will let you know just how important you are.

Get into the Dr's and let him know what has happened. Tell him that your physiotherapist suggested your pain meds be reviewed.

You need to try to relax, maybe a bath with epsom salts. Try some Arnica gel on your back and legs after the bath. It really helps me. As you know these flares come out of nowhere. It is a reminder for you to respect yourself and rest.

Rest, rest, rest. My heart goes out to you . xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby HeppiBean » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 am

What are Epsom salts? I've never heard of them :/

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

Katie...They are a type of salt, obviously by the name, LOL. Magnesium sulphate., bath salts. It is a soothing agent and can help with muscles. It has a variety of uses. Soaking a sliver in epsom salts will help draw it out. You can pick the salts up at either a drug store, health food store or a bulk food store. You will find tinier boxes with fragrance added at a much higher cost. They have a drying tendency so do not put lots in and often. I add about 2 handfuls to a bath......enjoy and don't forget the Arnica gel.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby HeppiBean » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you will have a look :)

Both children are gone until tomorrow night (at nans) and I have doctors in 30 mins... Will let you know how I get on. X

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

I've been trying various salts in the bath Katie, some of which have helped to a degree, others of which have played havoc with my skin :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: The most effective combo I've found so far involves a couple of scoops of Radox herbal bath salts muscle soak along with a few drops of Avon SkinSoSoft Original Bath Oil. As well as feeling less stiff and uncomfortable after a soak, my skin is settling back down again.

I also use Arnica Gel on areas that need a little extra help/easing (it was whoami that put me onto the gel after mentioning it on here :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: ) and I have a TENs machine that also has heated and massage options to help zap some of the hurtys.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HeppiBean » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks fluppy. Well the result of my doctors appointment in that she has taken me off of codeine, upped my dosage of nortriptyline and put me an tramadol.

Does anyone know if tramadol work straight away or if they are ones that build up as I took one almost 90 minutes ago and nothing has changed :/ no relief what so ever...

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:27 pm

they can take a little while but not as long as others, they dont have to build up over weeks :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you start to feel a bit better soon
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby HeppiBean » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:47 pm

My doctor only gave me a few in case they didn't help so if I'm not feeling any better by Friday I'll go back. This is ridiculous :( x

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Ok stupid bloody pills are a load of rubbish. Going back tomorrow.

I dont expect to feel perfect, I know that's not going to happen, although it would be truly wonderful if it did! I just want to feel better.

To be able to cuddle my children, cook the family meal one evening, walk up the stairs normally rather than crawling or shuffling on my bum, without being in excruciating pain.

Is that too much to ask?

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 pm

You are not asking for too much. Sadly though, you already know that we don't always get what we ask for.

I hope that your Dr can find something that will give you a bit of comfort. I can't suggest anything about meds, I have been on the same things for 8 years...sorry!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby HeppiBean » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

This is all quite new to me, I was only diagnosed before Christmas so I'm still struggling. I just wish the docs listened a bit more...

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping