Coping at work when pain strikes?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coping at work when pain strikes?

Postby praline » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:41 am

I've been struggling on and off with work for a while but stuck at moment - I need to apply for a more office based role rather than being on my feet all day doing shifts but awaiting to hear if ortho man wants to do further surgery on my right knee, so can't really/ feel bad applying for elsewhere in the company but I am dreading going back to work tomorrow. ..

Yesterday my right hip decided to flare resulting in *hideous* pain and I can't for privacy talk about my work but it was a stressful situation that fortunately my line manager realised I was at my wits end, on the edge of tears and moved me temporarily to another section but only until I had calmed down.. we were short staffed and so I had to eventually go back...I have never lost my temper in 4.5 years doing my job, which is frequently 'challenging' and I normally cope just fine even when a bit 'sore' all over but the pain was just not relenting and by the time I got home I was in tears and so frazzled by it all. I am paid generous sick pay but really don't want to go off again, I'm just scared I can't cope anymore and really just need to rant, cry and have faith things will get better. Its still a bit sore today and feel like need to rest..

I am still waiting to see the rheumy and the tens clinic but only taking amitriptyline at night and paracetamol during the day, along with ibruprofen gel and voltarol gel and feel its just not enough for when this happens. :dunno:
Waiting for official diagnosis but it all makes sense now..its not in my head..it was always real..
praline
UKFM Member

Re: Coping at work when pain strikes?

Postby denys » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:23 am

Go and talk to your doc and explain what is happening and see if there is anything else they can do maybe push your appointments through more quickly
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby DebiP10 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 am

I know exactly how your feeling Praline :( please dont think office based work is going to help you though. I work in an office and due to the long hours of sitting and not being allowed to leave my desk ( even though management know of my illness) it has been detrimental on my health that i have now been off sick for 5 months and still not fit enough to go back. I even reduced my hours thinking this would be easier for me but i had let it go on too long and worked through the pain and flares to where i am now, stuck at home and unable to go out on my own. x
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby praline » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for your replies, I am feeling just :sleep: this morning, went to bed late as was in pain and took ages to settle and then got woken at 7am when my partner got up for work..just tossed and turned after and eventually got up. Had a good chat with my mum on the phone and been looking at internal vacancies this morning. .. but I just have no energy to fill in the forms yet alone tell my manager I might be transferring.. I suffer from anxiety - which mostly arose from being misdiagnosed for another problem and it takes me time to work through things in my head..

denys- I will chase them on Monday, last time I spoke to them the gp said they were waiting for the pain teams letter to arrange the referral, which I am sure has since arrived as had my own copy through (eventually!) but I can see my appointments online and its still not there :(

DebiP10 - I am not convinced either an office based role will alter much - I struggle with admin for long periods after getting golfers elbow about 7 years ago and with chrondromalacia in my knees they are worsened by inactivity but also by lots of activity - trying to get a balance is like finding a needle in a haystack! :crazy:

Occ health said they would support me in a transfer but how do I even broach this in a new role where no body knows me? I used to be so hardworking, with lots of experience and enthusiasm but right now feel like a balloon that's been popped.
Waiting for official diagnosis but it all makes sense now..its not in my head..it was always real..
praline
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 am

hi Praline

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I know it's maybe not easy if your short staffed but is there a quiet room you can go and sit in when the pain gets too much?

I often find that when I get to feeling worse I can't bear noises of people talking around me, it gets me all "het up" and along with the pain just becomes overwhelming. so going to an empty meeting room for a few minutes just to sit in the quiet helps me - maybe this would help you too?

sorry I don't have much else to offer except gentle :hugs:

I know it's daunting to think of moving to a new role where you don't know anyone - but maybe this would be a good thing? fresh start where nobody knows who you "used" to be, but just accepts you for who you are now without any expectations of what you used to be able to do?

wishing you all the best.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping