Walking sticks

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking sticks

Postby stuartrmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Hey everyone

When my FM gets really bad, i have real issues walking, and have been using a wodden walking stick... But even thats painfull. Can anyone recomend somewhere to get a walking stick or other things to help you walk?
what we do in life echoes in eternity
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Re: Walking sticks

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 am

My thinking is too google walking aids in your area then over the web to see if theres anything about.

Also contact your local Occupational Health Team

Im sure there are many walking aids that can help you and others may reply with better and other suggestions for you.

Good luck in your search
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Same advice as Lisa, I got mine from Occupational Health, they also fitted grips to the door, a bath board and another rail on the stairs plus comfortable chair. So they are definitely worth a go
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby stuartrmc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks will do that after easter...
what we do in life echoes in eternity
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Postby hippychick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Motorised skateboards! That's what we all need! But they would have to come with a fitted comfy seat of course but then they already do something very similar don't they........what is they call them...............ah ha! Mobility scooters! That's them! But seriously.......

You could find that you'd be better with a crutch that your elbow leans onto if the majority of discomfort from using a stick is in your hand or wrist? And you could get padding on the piece that your elbow would rest in which could help?

My poor niece, (another fibromite), is unable to use a stick because she's had her wrists fused and they don't bend in the direction they'd need to to be able to hold onto a stick, so an elbow resting crutch is all that's on offer for her but she even finds that too uncomfortable with her wrists not allowing her to grab the bit that sticks up at the end of the elbow rest.

Or maybe, you'd find one of those rollator gismos helpful? That uses both of your hands of course, but the weight would then be evenly distributed. And don't think you have to 'look old' because you're needing something to help you get along because you can always customize whatever it is. I'm a bling girl meself as anybody who sees any of my Crocs, (only wear Crocs and have been since 2006), will tell you. Covered in bling they are :crazy: Walking stick also not plain and nor is phone case....iPod case....pretty much anything that can be blinged up for me....will be :lol: :roll: :lol:

Hope you can find something to help that doesn't cause more pain or discomfort asap.

Gentle huggles,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping