coping with the pain

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

coping with the pain

Postby trialsdan » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm

how do people cope with the pain i also have hypermobilty eds which causes very painful dislocations off allmost every joint
so how do people cope i live alone and find most off my time on the floor crying as the pain is just too much
any advice is most helpful
trialsdan
UKFM Member

Re: coping with the pain

Postby Theresa34 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:57 pm

I find moving a lot better for me than sitting. When I sit for too long, I get very sore and stiff. So move when you can. It helps me anyway :-D I do take painkillers but I try not to take too many as I worry that my body will get used to them and I will end up taking many more! Hot baths help me too when the pain and stiffness are really bad. I don't have hyper mobility so I don't know what advice I could give to you wi that one x I hope you find a way of managing the pain soon x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Tue May 06, 2014 1:50 am

just keep on moving..

i know its impossible as you have to rest..

my general crack is this..

stand until you first feel pain, then sit until you first feel pain..

the simple reality is the more you stop the more you hurt but the harder you move, also the more you hurt,,

hope that makes some sense,,

just keep on moving, slowly and capably!
I am a Bi-polatic-Fibromyalgic.. I am Obsessive and Sceptical. I am a right Polymath..

"The only way to be always right, is to change your mind when you are proved wrong. Celebrate your mistakes as knowledge gained"
johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby DebiP10 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 am

Hi trailsdan, i know exactly where your coming from :( a lot of people are saying keep moving and i know this can be just as painful as the sitting still so its frustrating but for me i move a little round the house and i sit a little. If it all gets too much and nothing is taking the pain away i then take my hot water bottle, put it on my back and lie down for as long as needed to ease the pain. It doesnt go completely and never does but it gives me a little time to move around again and repeat the whole cycle. Dont try and push yourself even though its hard not to do the things that you once could x
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby LYNPI » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi

I too suffer from pain daily. I've noticed that if I distract myself, this seems to help. Sitting too long and my hands/ankles/legs stiffen up and if I walk around, the pain builds up - hopeless!! Distraction is the key (try going for a walk with load music in your ears).

There is a book, which hopefully you too can get from a library called

How to liberate yourself from pain: practical help for sufferers
Brown, Grahame

This book is excellent dealing with chronic pain.

Kind regards

Linda
LYNPI
UKFM Member

Postby oncewas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 am

Hi, i was talking with my GP the other day and she also suffers with FM, she asked if i had tried magnesium citrate, which i hadn't but have now in fact i have just been and got another bottle they help with the pain, they don't take all the pain away and some days are worst than others but they do help, she did warn that they can upset the tummy slightly, but i have been fine, i have previously tried glucosamine and chroindite (sorry for the spelling) but gave up as they did nothing, she also controls hers by diet which i have a copy of and its almost the same as the one recommended for autism and is only good if you only have FM unfortunately i havent. hope this helps
oncewas
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:08 am

I read an article recently that suggested after research a really good way of getting magnesium into your body quickly (& pleasantly) was to run a hot bath with Epsom salts in.

The trick is to put lots in, I found keep adding it until the water starts to feel soapy then makes its as hot as you're comfy with and soak for 30 minutes.

I forget the uni and study but they took bloods from people after this method and it was very effective at quickly raising blood magnesium levels.

What I found interesting when I started looking at supplements was the different types of magnesium and their bioavailability. For example many cheap supplements use magnesium oxide which is hard to absorb so most of it goes straight out the back door without helping.

There's a list of the different types available here

http://www.metabolics.com/blog/the-defi ... pplements/

I was stunned I always thought a vitamin/mineral supplement was the same from cheap to expensive and brand to brand.

As for pain, I find the only thing that helps is to spread my weight over a large surface area - ie lay down

Not always practical but it's the only thing that really helps me when I'm bad
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping