[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Constipation no more :)

Constipation no more :)

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Constipation no more :)

Postby chookie » Mon May 12, 2014 12:37 pm

I used to have terrible constipation and bloating and turned to all sorts to get me going again. I used to take four acidophillis for gut health, four activated charcoal for wind, two Colofac for cramping and two pysillium husk capsules everyday to ease the symptoms but it all cost me money with no results.

Now I eat a bowl of porridge oats with 2 tablespoons of brown flax seed (also known as linseeds) on top with some vanilla extract or pop them onto my usual cereal in the morning. The effects have been brilliant! Whilst the oats are 49p a bag and the seeds cost 99p from the supermarket, saving me a fortune, my bowels are almost regular after a month.

The oats are probiotic in nature and the seeds produce a brushing effect to the colon, whilst expanding to push things 'along' :lol:

Happy days :-D
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Constipation no more :)

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 pm

That's brilliant to hear :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: And what a simple combination compared to the cocktail you were taking previously :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Do you make the porridge as you would normally???

I really hope things continue being so much more regular for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: And Thank You for sharing, there are a good number who experience similar problems, so this could be helpful to them :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chookie » Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I think that we can all overdo the things that we think might be a good bet, but I reckon that by going back to basics we can make more of an improvement.

I make my porridge the usual way with semi skimmed milk on the stove and then add the vanilla for a nice flavour. I'll whack a banana on top and two tablespoons of the linseeds over it all. Mix it altogether to distribute the seeds or there will be a very big seedy crunch otherwise :lol:

You can always add the flax to yoghurt and fruit, in a smoothie or to your weetabix if that's what you prefer, it doesn't have to be oats if you don't like porridge. Me.... I love it :-D Start with two tablespoons and increase gradually if you find that it hasn't the effect that you would like.

I'm now a proud owner of a Number 4 on the Bristol Stool Chart :bear-dancing:
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm

linseed is high in fibre and "puffs up" the volume of your poo
make sure you take lots of fluid with it to keep "it" smooth

if you mill or crack it open before you add it to your "oats" or chew it thoroughly!!!
it is even more effective/nutritious, just remember then to add more fluid

if you leave to soak you will quickly notice how absorbent it is and you don't want to have a lump of cereal pressing through!!! :nono:

"uncrushed" the seeds often pass through in one piece
and your poo looks a bit "multi grain"

all in all it is a fab way to beat constipation
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby chookie » Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Glad to see you take them too Lu :-D
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby trialsdan » Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 pm

any tips on the oppisite i seam to go about 20 times a day
trialsdan
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 pm

i found something that seems to work for at the moment thought it might be worth posting it. When i feel that nothing is really doing i have noticed drinking a couple of fizzy drinks before bed (but sipping not downing like a cool pint) seems to help with bowel movements.

I am sorry i have no tips for trying to stop going. The only thing i can think of is tabs over the counter that might help for a couple of days to slow yourself down. Or maybe you have irritable bowel symdrome might be worth seeing your GP

:oops:
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby BonnGayle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am

I have the same problem I get ever so bound up but I started to mix my own muesli I use a bag of whole oats a hanfull of pumpkin seeds a handfull of linseed and a handfull of sunflower seeds ...then I add a few things different every week ...this week as an example I put almonds hazelnuts a few raisens and some freeze dried apple ...ive put dried pinapple inbefore ...apricots ...cinnamon ..ginger but I always buy fruit that has no added sugar and use plain spices .
I serve it with a spoon full of live yogurt then some milk and that really seems to keep me moving !
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Postby Tom Snelling » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Resides in Athlone, Wales in GMT timezone.
Free advice Wed-Fri every week.
Tom Snelling
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping