Walking stick/crutches

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking stick/crutches

Postby HeppiBean » Sat May 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Ok so I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice.

Neither me or my partner drive so we have to walk or use various forms of transport to get around. When money is tight and walking is the only option I end up in a lot of pain in my legs, particularly my ankles and calves.

I have been thinking about getting some crutches to ease some of the pressure from my legs, but I don't want to trigger more pain in my arms and upper body.

Any experience or advice would be helpful. Do you think some kind of walking aid would be beneficialvor not?

Thanks in advance x

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: Walking stick/crutches

Postby trialsdan » Sun May 18, 2014 12:11 pm

i can drive but no car atm
so im stuck to useing the local shop
and i use 2 walking sticks to get there and yes it dos hurt but the pain in my arms is far less than my legs and hips
trialsdan
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:21 pm

I have heard that its possible to get a blue badge or similar for public transport, if you want to look into that. I have used a walking stick in the past year but not very often. I do find that I lean more using a stick which aggravates one side of me. I also tend to grip too hard with the hand I am using and that causes pain too (its a gel grip). But if you learn how to use it correctly it should help. I don't realise I'm doing these things til the pain hits.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm

I realise I'm a bit late replying to this one but wanted to share my experience in case it helps. I use elbow crutches pretty much all the time now (certainly outside and at work, inside the house I can hang onto furniture if I feel a bit wobbly :-) )

I started using just one crutch, guess I didn't want to think I needed both of them. but after a particularly bad episode I started using both and now I feel that's actually better cos using one pulled me to one side if you see what I mean, and put more pressure on my hip which wasn't good.

I find I can walk further than I would be able to without them, like you I was getting lots of pain in my legs walking about, and feeling unsteady. So the crutches help with that and might help you in that way too. :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Heee I just asked a similar question as part of another thread, but it's answered here so thank you :twodrinking1:

I might invest in a pair of elbow crutches and a seat..... I'll be unstoppable :f1-car:
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I was using 2 sticks but found they were killing my wrists... So I saved up and bought myself a pair of Smart Crutches where the weight is on my forearm and not my wrists. They are helping my balance, though still struggling to walk due to pain in back/legs xxx

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you. I think I'll give it a try. I don't want to be reliant on them but for bad days I think they will help x
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping