[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does anyone recover from the fatigue?

Does anyone recover from the fatigue?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does anyone recover from the fatigue?

Postby Pixel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 pm

I have spent years pacing and exercising but am getting worse. The fatigue means I can only go to places where I can park outside. A physio today told me I can recover from the fatigue but I don't understand how. Do you know anyone who has improved fatigue to the point where they can go on a shopping trip or a day out?
Pixel
UKFM Newbie

Re: Does anyone recover from the fatigue?

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm

This is a tough question.....I am not sure about recovering. Do you mean does it go away, stop?. All I can say that is over the 25 years of this I find that I know if I do certain things I am going to be exhausted for a few days.

I know every Monday, I sleep almost all day, on and off and part of Tuesday. I wonder if it is because hubby is home on the weekends, sometimes family drops in, Hubby takes me for groceries and occasionally we go for a drive. I think, no, I know that it is those things that exhaust me.

I don't think we get completely rid of fatigue but we learn to accept what it is. Enjoy the things we can, when we can. I do find that I appreciate things a whole lot more and I have become more content and at peace with the way things are.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes you can recover from the fatigue. I exercise five times a week and do all the housework and walk the kids to school etc. I've had tiredness the last few days, thats normal. But I would say the majority of the time, I've improved a lot. I've struggled with sleep recently due to humidity which is why I'm so tired. Its cooling down a little so I should sleep properly again.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:05 am

In the beginning I had extreme fatigue but I do have cfs as well as fibro. Things are better but it's always lurking making sure I pace myself. I agree with Whoami in that I am learning what I do can make me bed bound for a few days but I like to seize the day. Everyone is different and the fatigue is just as bad as the pain, at least with pain you can take a pill, with the fatigue you have to ride it out.

I have a wheelchair that I have not used for 7 months and I am driving too now, after two and some years in bed. But I am under no illusion that when it abates that it's gone forever as it has bit me on the bum before so I just try and accept it and am learning to love myself. Being kind to myself and being gentle in how I talk to myself too. I am eating clean food and looking forward to things more. I hope you get some good times soon.x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am

I don't know about recovery. I've never been so bad that I couldn't function, but I did find I was getting worse towards the end of last year/beginning of this. Circumstances have forced me to HAVE to push through pain and exhaustion repeatedly for the last few months, and I am getting fewer bad attacks of fatigue than I was 6 months ago - as I do more, I find I can do more, if that makes sense. But people here keep telling me repeatedly that 'pushing through' is bad for you and you shouldn't do it, so I wouldn't take me as any example.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:13 am

If I didn't push through the fatigue and pain, I wouldn't be where I am today. I'm so much better than I was. I honestly thought that my life had no purpose and I felt so depressed. The pain and fatigue were as bad as eachother. I still have pain but it's not constant. As long as I move, I feel fairly ok. It's sitting that makes me hurt as I get really stiff. But I wont let fibro dictate what I can and wont do. I'm too stubborn :lol:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

There have been a few who have said that they are free of all symptoms, but they are rather rare unfortunately :( :( :( Not sure what they found to help them reach this point, or to what sort of degree they were affected by FM, as it is very different for each of us. Things have definitely changed for me over the years, with reductions in the amount of time I can do something for, but on the flip side, with getting my pacing sussed out with the rests, and making an allowance for the impact of fatigue along with the other effects, overall I have made an increase in my activity levels thru the day.

As SC has said, when it comes to pushing thru the restrictions/limitations that come with symptoms, opinions are somewhat divided. For some, pushing all the way thru something is what keeps them going. The main problem with this tho is, when PayBack~Day eventually does eventually come around, the amount needing to be paid back can be vast compared to times when a more paced and calculated approach is used.

Altho many don't recover from fatigue, if they can find the right balance for each day, I do think things can be made a little more manageable. The big challenge tho is taking those first steps needed to start the process off, which can be the most exhausting part for some.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am

I do agree with others that pushing yourself does help somewhat. I do find I push, sometimes and I pay but if I didn't push myself I would not be as happy. If I feel that I can accomplish something no matter if I hurt more or are exhausted for it, I somehow feel that I am in control and have a little more feeling of self worth.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am

Fluppy what changed for me was I came to a fork in the road as such. One way was a life of misery and giving into the condition. The other way was a way of taking back control and not letting this ruin my life. I realised that I didn't want to give into it and I decided to fight it wi everything I've got. I suspect the vitamin D and the Amitriptyline have helped as well as a change in attitude, moving more and now exercising. I've found a new way of life. I'm young, I have children and I have a home to run. I cant spend days in bed or on the sofa. I just dont have that option. My fm has been really bad. I felt like I constantly had the flu, my body ached all day everyday. I couldn't sleep and a few times a week I had to use a cane to walk the kids to school. I was miserable beyond belief. I cried a lot. I had a lot,of pity parties but I got annoyed at myself for this. I'm a stubborn person by nature. So I've used this to my advantage. I'm fighting all the way. I sleep better now thanks to my evening med. I still get back spasms here and there, fatigue pops in for a few days a month (like the last few days), I still get back pain that makes me hurt bad. Most days i dont take painkillers but when I truly need them, then I take them. I find them more affective when I take the, few and far between. So the fm is still here with me, but I'm not allowing it to get me x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:46 pm

carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Pacing (when I manage it ) I find that I can often get more done if I do it in short spells with a rest in-between.
I don't feel I am giving in to the condition but trying to find the best balance.
I go swimming for 30 minutes twice a week but when I tried more days felt exhausted by the end of the week. I have a walk daily.
I am trying to listen to my body and if it says at 2pm I need a cat nap or [chocolate] [chocolate] :cup1: well that is what I do. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Hear hear Dotty Lotty :-D

I bet it's Here Here :lol:
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Beth1012 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 pm

For me the CFS side of Fibro has only really kicked in over the last 9 -12 months, and for me it's horrendous. :evil:

It's a case of the mind is willing and the body's saying 'no chance love'. I've tried "pushing through" and it makes me much much worse. Last time I did that I had 10 straight days of either being in bed, crashed on the sofa :sick: and barely ale to crawl into clean PJ's.
I live on my own and that experience scared me stupid :cry:

Having said that I don't think I "give into it" either, I try, but if I find myself on the verge of tears I know it's time to stop & that I'll just have to try again another day.

I try pacing, but when you have no help, and you're still trying to work to pay the bills pacing doesn't always work. :crazy:

Sorry to be negative, but I guess like you I'm wondering if it'll ever end, or even get to a consistent level that I can work with.

I'm trying hard not to be bitter about what I've lost but some days, especially the really really fatigued days it just makes we wanna cry :(

Have just bought new black out linings for bedroom curtains in the hope that may help improve sleep, or at least stop me waking up at 6!

I wish you well
Sending love & light x x x
Beth1012
UKFM Member

Postby Pixel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank you everyone! I spent years pushing to a limit; full time work, run house, part-time study, volunteering. I've got to the point I can work two half days each week but need help with housework. I can walk short distances but I never know when the energy will just drain away leaving me creeping along putting one foot just ahead of the other. Some times it is two car lengths.
Pixel
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 pm

I don't think any of us recover from the fatigue. I think it's more likely we all learn to live with it.
Lindilou

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping