[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Going to try going back to work...

Going to try going back to work...

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Going to try going back to work...

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi,

I've been off for nearly 6 weeks now and I'm going back tomorrow. Doctor has signed me fit (don't think she was overly happy), but I am only going to do afternoons for the week as my drugs mean I'm out of it early on. I'm term time only so there's only a week left. I thought this would be a good test to see what and how much I can really do. Especially as it is pretty quiet with all the teachers and students gone, so I can kind of ease back into things. I'll have two days, and then a weekend to rest as needed.

Then I'll have to have a think about next year, but the only way to know is to try, right? I really don't think I could do full days right now, but I'm not sure how much I will be able to.

Has anyone got any tips?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Going to try going back to work...

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Pace yourself :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Slightly more serious head now in place :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Whatever you will be doing, try and split it down into smaller, more manageable bits wherever possible, and then arrange it into a logical order. If it helps, write it all down/ type it up and leave it on your screen so you can see it, and use it as your plan of attack. If you have an idea of how long things might take, allot your time accordingly, remembering to factor in some rests, even if it's just a few mins where you can stretch your legs or have a jiggle around to help loosen yourself up.

If you run into a hitch, and can't see an apparent way round it, then have a look to see if there is another part you can do that could help. If that doesn't help, go away and do something else, then come back to what you were doing and see if things are any clearer/making any more sense. If it all still seems to be :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: then ask for help......This will probably be the most difficult thing to do, but once you start, it does become a little easier.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Fluppy :)

My manager has already said she will separate out some tasks for me (I can't do anything ongoing for instance), so that will work out quite well.

I am the list queen! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I will definitely not do too much and will wander over to speak to colleagues as a bit of a break, otherwise I could get caught sitting in one place for ages. Good point about incorporating rest time (I'm not good at that, I usually aim to finish a task) and coming back to something.

I guess I will know if I do too much and adapt accordingly on Friday.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:29 am

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: hope it all goes well for you :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dazzleship » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am

just wanted to say good luck :hugs: I really hope it works out for you.

my only advice would be to take regular breaks

this is something I've started doing and it definitely does help. work organized an occupational therapist quite a few months ago and this was one of the recommendations.

but being stubborn unaccepting-of-fibro me :-? I didn't think I really needed them. but since I've been getting worse I've been trying to take them regularly (tip for you - set reminders in Outlook to have your breaks and also to have lunch)

and they do really help. just putting the ole brain into "park" for ten minutes or so seems to reset things.

tis why I'm on here at the moment too :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks.

So I went back today! Had regular breaks (took as long for them as I had done work for). I found I really needed them. After 10 minutes on my chair, which is a special one for my back/neck, I really needed to move around, walk and stop looking at the screen. Meant I didn't get as much done! It took 4 attempts with breaks to even look through all my emails :roll:

People were lovely but even sitting talking to two people felt a bit wearing after a few minutes. I'm very lucky most staff and students have gone so it was really quiet. I think my boss was a bit annoyed and even mentioned I should be doing a few hours rather than 2 (still don't know where she got that from mind!). I must admit I could have gone home after 2 hours, I was slowing down. After 3 I decided I would go soon and finish two more jobs, so I think I ended up doing 4 hours with 20 minutes driving either side. Feel very tired but not as out of it as I thought. However after tomorrow I can review. They want to know what I will be doing in terms of hours but I can't begin to know until I've done a few days of it :crazy:

Oh and weirdly my dry mouth has lasted all day (usually gone by 12), I guess it's cos I haven't been talking as much :lol: And the run on effect of that is that the rash round my mouth - which my GP has given up on!! - is worse too.

Anyway, in terms of getting back to full time I really don't know what to do for the best. My GP seems to think my morning fog will go as I become used to the pills, but I felt dreadful this morning and needed 2 hours just to feel normal! So I guess I'll think about that after I've done this week.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:29 pm

I've done a week of just afternoons now. I'm very glad I was functioning fairly normally (mentally!) as I was a bit worried by brain had disappeared along with my health ;-)

Anyway I am on summer hols now and have some decisions to make. Hopefully I may have a better idea over the next few weeks so I can out what to do next.

Do you all work?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Our brains do often bog off with the good minions that would normally do battle against the purple minions that make us feel so :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: And quite often your get~up~and~go is on the same flight with them, heading off to wherever it is that is calling them :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

These days I'm an enforced lady of leisure thanks to Kevin, my purple minion of :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: I can't even say I'm a lady that lunches as going out for something as simple as that requires such a lot of planning and preparation these days :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

As you've probably guessed, I'm not at work. I haven't worked since February 2000, and was retired on health grounds the following year.

Don't make your decisions in a rush, or based on how things are after a few particularly naff days. Try and make sure things are as balanced and even as they can be when you need to look at things, if not you'll end up :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: and :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Ha ha thanks! I probably look like all those smileys!

I had good and bad days whilst doing that one week, and hourly seem to change my mind on what's for the best. But I would like to keep working if I can, and part time seems a good compromise until I know for certain what is wrong with me.

Sorry to hear you can't work. What do you do to keep yourself entertained? When I was first off sick I went out of my mind with boredom and frustration - I even nearly watched Jezza Vile :crazy: :nono: And as I've always been the one that drives to people or arranges stuff, I felt like I had no friends :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 pm

How do I keep myself entertained.........well I have NCIS and CSI obsessions these days, tempered with a smattering of sy~fy, which at the moment are Stargate and Farscape reshows. I get to play at being a Domestic Goddess, well it seems like playing these days :roll: :roll: :roll: I have a daft doglet that demands lots of attention and belly~rubs, and we go for the occasional :dogrun1: There's also a gamehead ensconced in a bedroom upstairs with his pooter that I periodically have to run the gauntlet with, and of course there is this place...I found my way here a few years ago, but have been unable to remember the way back, so I'm still here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Sounds like you keep yourself busy! I'm going to do the free month's trial with Netflix, and I've got a boxset and a few films I've never got round to watching. But I feel like I don't do much physically if I watch tv all day. Then I have days like today, where I went food shopping (needed fruit), and went to the hospital, and I've done some tidying and washing up. Now I feel zzzzzz!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 am

hi Zia

glad to hear your back to work week has worked out okay for you :-) I guess it will take time to settle back into things (I know if I've had even a couple of days off, I feel a bit strange going back, so I can only imagine what it like to go back after a long time)

hopefully your employers and workmates will be supportive of you though - are they doing anything to help you?

in answer to your question I work full time - and hope it stays that way :sheep:

there are days of course when things are really bad for me - I've had to take days off cos of this stupid Fibro and I'm not happy about that, but sometimes it's better to take a day or two when I start to feel bad, rather than struggling on and crashing completely. I am very lucky that I have understanding employer who has helped me and people I can talk to.

but I also find talking on here helps :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Dazzle :mrgreen:

They are supportive, I saw Occ Health yesterday (who were rubbish!), but I'm only a fixed term contract so may do part time until that ends, to see how I manage.

Do you have foggy head in the mornings? That's one reason I did afternoons only, the Amitriptyline leaves me useless first thing and I certainly wouldn't want to drive like that!

Gem
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

hiya

oh that's good that your employers are supportive then. that will really help. pity about occ health though. what did they do / or not do?

I saw occ therapist once here at work, he helped me get a better chair (with headrest so I can lean back if feeling dozy :mrgreen: ) which helps. as well as positioning stuff on my desk etc. so I'm not stretching too far and stuff.

nah I don't get foggy head in mornings, I do get strange shakiness though when I first wake up which I've mentioned elsewhere on here (cant' remember what thread though lol).

my foggyness / fatigue usually hits round about early to mid afternoon. :roll: then I have to try and fight it until it's time to go home, or it clears up by itself / whichever happens sooner :mrgreen: thankfully it doesn't do it every day :sleep:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping