[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Somatics

Somatics

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Somatics

Postby Hay1ie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already been touched on but I wondered if anyone had tried 'somatic therapy'?
I read about it in this months Top sante and have looked it up on amazon and bought a book but wondered if it was a widely known therapy amongst Fibro sufferers?

Hayls :D
Just because I am in pain doesn't mean I am one! LOL
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:41 am

Never heard of it sorry :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Somatics

Postby Somaticman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:02 am

Somaticman
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:06 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:47 pm

noun

Yawning and stretching (as when first waking up)

By the way it is contagious - how many of you pandiculated whilst reading the last two posts???
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm not allowed to pandiculate too strongly due to TMJD... my dentist told me not to and now I want to soooo badly :lol:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:54 pm

gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm

MCT
UKFM Member

It's a process

Postby Somaticman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Somaticman
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm

OK read the article but I'm still confused... not by the article but by the fact you say humans have forgotten how to pandiculate... I used to pandiculate a lot when I was younger, my children pandiculate and I would pandiculate more if it didn't cause me to cramp up and cause my arthritis to flare up.

Obviously stretching is a good form of warming the muscles up ready for the day... how does this relate to FM?
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Somaticman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Great observation. When we were healthy and young we did this and when we are healthy and old, we still do it. Even an old dog will do it and our son's guinea pig died a few weeks ago and the last thing she did was to give one final pandiculation, a letting go of the pattern she was in and a last breath and she left us. It was amazing to be there in all sorts of ways.

OK, if we force a muscle and it leads to a cramp, you have violated the stretch reflex mechanism, that is it'll pull back to save you so if you cramp your muscles react. Now if you pandiculate yourself to almost the point of cramping, and this is not easy to learn, though once you get it, you'll marvel at the way your brain will allow for the process to self-correct. The key in the somatic process of pandiculation is in the "letting go" of the direction you moved yourself in, and this is done slowly and you may experience a jerky quality to letting go.

Stretching as I was taught actually violates the stretch reflex and causes muscles to shorten, so now if you go for it, you may get that cramp and then you decide well I'll never do that again and then this sets in the cascade of not moving in a variety of directions. And our brains thrive on novelty in moving, otherwise we would not be supple children.

So rather than stretching which many professional athletes are abandoning there are other means to "warm" up the muscles. Your pet is our guide, they show us how vertebrate animals, like ourselves, well those with any spine left, move agilely and when an animal hurts themself, they too will use the process to the best of their ability.

I do this work with Horses and they release themselves so marvelously.

I watched a squirrel fall out of a tree and for 45 minutes this squirrel ran around in circles, then did a few slow pandiculations, etc until he trotted off into the woods as if nothing happened. Trauma happens and pandiculations are a process to help restore us into doing what we are her to do, move, hopefully without any pain. I hope that helps.
Somaticman
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping