Fibromyalgia or food intolerance?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia or food intolerance?

Postby top_of_the_world » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 am

I was given a preliminary diagnosis of fibromyalgia a couple of years ago. I just couldn't believe I was in so much pain when I had felt nothing a month or so before. Literally I was the fittest I'd ever been, having just ran a marathon. I absolutely refused to believe it just came on by itself. A lot of process of elimination later and a very helpful osteopath helped me to realise that my pain in my neck was so much worse when my stomach was in pieces. I was already gluten intolerant and after cutting out gluten I couldn't understand it. To cut a long 6 month story short I figured out the entire cause of my pain was dairy and egg food intolerance. I was stunned. I had no idea that a food intolerance could cause the pain I was experiencing. So bad I couldn't get out of bed some days. I had migraines frequently and had stabbing and dull neck pain radiating into all my back muscles. I couldn't bend over properly or do anything some days. My ankles locked up and clicked all the time, yet other day I could happily run 10 miles!

Just 2 weeks of cutting out the problem foods and the pain completely disappeared. And I mean completely.

I would strongly recommend anyone asking to see a dietician and working through an elimination diet with them. I am still stunned that food can cause my pain but I've proved it does.....especially as I sit here right now doped up on pain killers after accidentally eating butter yesterday. I had been pain free for 5 months before that. To all of you that think you don't have a food intolerance because your stomach is ok, think again. I'm convinced that a large proportion of fibromyalgia and rheumatoid patients could solve their problems by cutting out problem foods.

Just give it a go!
top_of_the_world
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibromyalgia or food intolerance?

Postby Jo90 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:40 am

That's really interesting. I was like you, very fit and active and I couldn't sit back and accept that my life, as I knew it, was over. I want to know WHY this suddenly came on and fight it with everything I've got. I don't like to think it's dairy with me - I'm a dairy junkie! I did think about my diet though and wondered if it was something as simple as cuppa soups? That sounds daft, I know, but a friend offered me one once and I thought "Hmmm.. that's a tasty snack to put me on till dinner time". I was having one every day but have cut them out now because I see they contain monosodium glutamate and I was maybe getting a reaction to that? I normally eat a healthy diet. I'm not 'cured' yet but I am improving.
Jo90
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping