A pain in the neck....!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A pain in the neck....!

Postby Timmy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello.
The clue is in the title...
Yesterday, all day the pain in my neck and shoulders was amazing..
The best I have every had!
How exciting, not.
My poor wife, she just looks at me with such sadness in her eyes.
Stil having pain in hips and knees, not as bad.
However it has seemed to of moved upto the neck.
Any tips on what to do to relive this pain?
Any more tramadol and I will not be able to see straight..
Any one tried creams, any work..?
Feel so sad and down.
Cannot sleep, tired all the time..
Driving me nuts..
Also, I think my hand is broken again..
A door fell on to my hand last year, bending it backwards, breaking a small bone in my hand.
It feels like it has gone again, how I have done that I do not know...!
I give up.
Help and advice please.

Love and peace,

Tim x
Timmy
UKFM Newbie

Re: A pain in the neck....!

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Timmy I try ibuprofen gel on my neck at times, a neck pillow or a heat pad. Not sure if they help but live in hope. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:49 am

would recommend trying a chiro practer , swear by mine. he also has recommended a "neck" pillow for when I'm sleeping haven't got one yet but its on my to do list

hope things improve
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:04 am

Hi Tim have you tried heating a towel up and wrapping that around the painful area. Luckily I don't often suffer with neck pain but that often helps & relaxes mine when it hurts.

I shattered a bone in my finger when I was 18 and that still hurts now so hopefully it's just that rather than a new break.

Does tramadol really affect you? I can take the stuff like sweets right up to 400mg a day and not notice it, pharmacist was surprised when I said that.

Think you ought to go back to your gp sounds like you would really benefit from a painkiller patch so it's always in your system.

Also tell your gp about your mood too as if you're not taking antidepressants you sound like you could use some, also some are used for pain too so could have dual benefit. If you're already taking some maybe the dose needs to be upped.

Really sorry to read about your pain I hope you can get some relief too.

My wife gives me the same look, I desperately wanted us to have another baby but it wouldn't be fair on everyone else really.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby top_of_the_world » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Have you tried looking at the foods you are eating to see if it could be a food intolerance causing your pain. I know it sounds crazy and you can't believe that neck pain, moods or anythig else could be caused by food but it can. I had neck pain that was so bad I could hardly move. I had pins and needles in my fingers and shooting pains down my arms. I felt really low and really down. Old injuries seemed to start hurting too for no reason. I had a preliminary diagnosis of fibromyalgia and refused to believe there was no cause. There were days when I just couldn't sdo anything. After mi the of trying to relieve the pain with an osteopath, physio, pain relief (which hardly worked) I decided to try cutting out some foods to see if it was the cause. Dairy was my main culprit, after cutting out of my diet for just 2 weeks the pain was completely gone. And I mean completely. Food intolerances dont always affect your stomach so don't be tricked if your stomach seems ok.

I would definitely say its worth a try, you've got nothing to lose if it turns out not to be food and everything to gain if it is. That's why I gave it a go.

Really hope you find a solution. Neck pain truly is horrible x
top_of_the_world
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Talking of pain that way

When I was younger I was screaming in pain clutching my side, taken in by ambulance, papers all signed for appendectomy was stopped at last minute turns out all the pain was from an ear infection, believe it or not!

So it does happen
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby dobermann84 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 am

hi i would like to second the food intolerance reply. by eliminating all sugars including fruit, wheat, dairy and caffein my symptoms became much more manageable.I noticed random flare-ups always followed a period where i was eating sugar or fruit. christmas was my worst period after all the desserts. some products that helped me a lot was magnesium oil on sore areas, turmeric capsules which is a natural pain killer and serrapeptase.
dobermann84
UKFM Newbie

Postby TheHud » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am

Lyrica took the horrendous life ending pain away, still painful but similar to hips and back, knees etc pain now. I left it for 2 years, well 10 years if you count admittance to hospital twice (gave me injections of diclofenic), well I did go docs twice, again because it became permanent, took hubby to impress how bad it was, finally in jan gave me Lyrica diagnosed FM. I also sleep with a baby cot pillow and try and get at least a few hours flat on my back, no pillow. I discovered early on staying as still and upright as possible and not doing what i am doing now arms forward, hand together helps(its starting to buzz now). I keep all things down to a few minutes at most.

I left it too long and now have permanent spasms when trying to move, bend especially twisting my hand to palm up. Go get anything you can.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Yeah I have this. It's unbearable at the moment and pregabalin and paracetamol aren't touching it. My movement is limited so much more now than just a few weeks ago. I have tried everything.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby mrselizabeth » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Timmy
I too have excruciating pain in my neck today, its now going up into my head. I have tried all sorts, including double dose of my Morphine.Any advice welcome please :cry:
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi all.

I just noticed this thread and it made me think...

In the last year I've been suddenly prone to neck pains. Firstly at the back, coming up from the shoulders almost to the top of my head. I've had strain like this in the past from much labour so could be that I don't know...
The other is something I've never experienced before this year. Its a pain in the side of my neck, usually on the right side, around where all those big juicy blood vessels are... It comes out of nowhere, lingers a few hours and then fades but is usually back in a day or two. It actually really hurts, enough to make me cringe. I imagine I've got a growth in there or a huge bloodclot about to burst one of those blood vessels but when I touch, nothing, no swelling or lumps. What is this?
Is this similar in any way to what everybody else is getting?
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:40 am

Intermittent spinal cord compression, named as a major factor in FM.
Heres the link.

https://youtu.be/Ei8LbUDkQno?list=PL1An ... I7gukO4T5g
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping