[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - way of describing your pain

way of describing your pain

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: way of describing your pain

Postby plt1964 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:41 pm

I think you have all summed it up very well, toothache and flue were the once I was going to use.
I am in a flareup at the mo,and have to go and see a new Doctor as I have moved house,and I'm a bit scared of how I am going to explain myself without looking silly.

Best wishes.
Paula x
plt1964
UKFM Newbie

Postby shrimp » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 pm

i feel like my ankles have been crashed into by a steam train several times, then i am forced to walk over hot ashes and broken glass......
i feel like my feet and hands are so swollen that i cannot operate them too well......the outer edge of my feet have spears going thru them and being pulled out and pushed back in all the time....my knees feel as tho they are holding a ton weight up and give way....my shins hurt and are really bruised (due to me being stupid) ....my back feels as tho i have been carrying the whole rugby england team on my back for a week, as do my shoulders and neck, my head feels like its been banged in between some symbols and my eyes feel drunk but alas i am not........i also have severe endometriosis and there are loads of little devils inside my pelvic area pricking me with their little forks all the time and then stretching my ovaries and fallopians tubes all over the place and stamping on my bowel...............

thats me
shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby Sally_x » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:44 pm

All of these comments are amazing :D

I have always saud that it feels like I have ran a marathon before evening getting out of bed in the morning too :) Aaand that my joints feel like all the fluid has drained out adn my bones are jsut crushing each other...and that I have had a huge gym work out and my muscles are strained...but that still doesnt get people to fully understand!
Sally_x
UKFM Member

Postby lesley45 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm

It feels like someone has poured concrete into my body and I cannot get moving properly. This along with the pain makes it horrendous to live with. Wish people would be more understanding!!!
lesley45
UKFM Member

Postby KateXXXXXX » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 am

1: Someone has replaced all the tendons in my arms with red hot wires and lubricated them with a mix of acid and sharp sand...

2: My knees have square rusty bolts through them

3: My feet feel like I have been yomping for miles across a carpet of yellow Lego bricks... Why are the yellow ones always sharper than any other colour?

4: Like Grendel's granny: some idiot is slowly ripping my arms off and I feel about 900 years old!

5: When the knees, hips, shoulders, arms and hands are all going at once, and the sciatica is warring with the IBS and the RSI (I have Tenosynovitis in both shoulders and my right wrist and hand as well as the fibro!), I feel like the Hunchbum of Notre Damn! OUCH!

I've told people I have restless leg syndrome in my arms and my knees are coming to bits at the elbow before now.

On a scale of one to ten, the gall bladder pain was at 11. The knees are currently hovering between three and four and the elbows at about five. Migraine is usually about 7 or 8.
Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
KateXXXXXX
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 am

The pain is NOT a constant value and will increase with use (sometimes even minute to minute depending on how far you go out your capability zone). Exertions cause damage lasting, days, weeks, months, or even permanently mean base pain levels can be increased and the rate of which pain increases can increase dramatically.

Other noxious stimuli are also amplified and retained after external stimulus is removed so it's not just pain it could be a smell or loud sound or itch.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby AngelBear » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 am

Imagine you have really bad tooth ache and then magnify that 10 fold, in every muscle and joint, thats how I feel on a bad day.
A smile lifts both you and others
Christine
AngelBear
UKFM Member

Postby lil.angel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:44 pm

i feel like i have an anchor tied to the base of my spine
Someday I Will Fly.... Someday
lil.angel
UKFM Member

Postby Jenny Wren » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 pm

The toothache & flu analagies are excellent - I also get stabbing pains randomly anywhere around my body, but particularly wrists, hands & legs. If I'm on my feet for more than 5-10 minutes it feels like I've trawled round the shops for 8 hours on 3 inch heels. When my IBS is playing up I can bloat up to resemble 6 months pregnant, and the "baby" is playing around m insides with a carving knife. And when I'm so tired I can't think straight, I can sleep for England - just not in very long bursts.
Jenny Wren
UKFM Member

Postby Hob » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 pm

I tend to use the flu as a description as everyone has had that. I start with...imagine you have flu, it hurts to move, it hurts to breathe, it hurts to blink, it hurts to think, everything you touch feels like you're grappling ice, you can't sleep it off because you can't get comfy long enough to nod off, the only good thing is I am not coughing, sneezing or feeling bunged up... and that's before I take my meds :) The one that finally got through to my partner was when he had hurt his back and couldn't walk or move without pain, he had to think before doing something he wanted and was complaining noisely about it, I looked him in the eye and just said "welcome to my world hun" Bless him, since then he's been a bit more caring when I say I'm having a bad day.
If today is good, then tomorrow must be better
Hob
UKFM Member

Postby Charlee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:08 pm

These are great descriptions it is a shame we have to use them though! But hey ho here goes.

When im having a 'bad' day it feels like some one has taken out my brain, mind, common sense, ability to speak and given it a blitz in the magimix for a few minutes leaving me sounding and acting like the village lush.

My pains is just like i have slept with an elephant on me so my whole body aches and feels 10000x hevier and im only gonna get away with matchsticks to prop my eyes open in they are reinforced steel ones, i falls asleep in the bath, waiting for buses, pushin a shopping trolley ect ect.....
Charlee
UKFM Member

Postby skatty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:21 pm

hi to u all i am sooooooooooooo new to this, it's my 1st poasting ever on a fibro forum!!!

i find it hard to discribe my pain. i treat it like a pet some days it can be very naughty and i cannot deal with it then other days its just there an able to deal cope with! :banghead:
skatty
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Skatty and :welcome: to the forum, look forward to talking to you on here :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

that a steam roller is going back a forth on me ,im carrying breeze blocks in my arms ,someone has a potato peeler inside my legs and twisting it that im being used as voodoo doll my head is in a vice im walking on red hot coal ,my doc looks at me :roll: and says can you be a bit more precise :banghead:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby Delvesy89 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm newly diagnosed, and having to describe my pain ALL the time to friends, family and people I work with.

I've almost got it down to a fine art!! :)

My shoulder feel like Im constantly shrugging with a sumo wrestler on each shoulder, I have a golf ball in the crook of each arm, my collarbone feels like someone is rubbing a blade along it, my knees feel like Im climbing Mount Everest with just a simple trip to the kitchen and I feel like I haven't slept in years. :(

Then of course I get the "oh.......ok". :banghead:
Where words fail, music speaks.
Delvesy89
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help / Tips on Coping