How to loose weight??????

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How to loose weight??????

Postby Beth » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 am

Has anyone found an effective way to loose weight with fm. I need to drop at least a dress size which is probably at least a stone before my dress fitting in feb for my sisters wedding. Im finding it really hard to do so.
Ii start at the beginning of december i've cut out all my junk food with the exception of 1 bad day a week to stop cravings and im exercising more with swimming and cycling but the weihgt aint budging.

Anyone got any ideas?
thnaks
Beth
UKFM Member

hey

Postby gemmielou » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:22 pm

hello,
loosing weight is all about changing every part of your diet and your attitude to food,
stick to drinking only water at least 8 or more glasses of ice cold water, or even warm as this aids digestion.Eat low fat breakfast like weetabix with skimmed milk or melon, then dont snack have a healthy lunch like salad and fruit and yoghurt(low fat like muller ones). Then aim to eat you dinner early aroung six ish giving your body time to digest the food, eat protein rich foods like chicken, fish, with steamed vegetables, no red meat. Avoid white bread butter swap things for heathier alteratives. If you get hungry head for fruit or drink loads of water will make you feel full.
Good luck weight loss is always a challenge, stick with it i am sure you will turn out fab! :D
love gem
ps i am a staff nurse and always advising people on weight loss and body image until i got sick :(
gemmielou
UKFM Member

diet

Postby Kristine » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:47 pm

I find that if I stick to a low carb diet I get much less pain and you lose weight too :P

Here is an example of one for hypoglycaemics, its just a list of foods really, you takes your choices:

Diets For Hypoglycemia
by R. Paul St. Amand, M.D.

Both these diets work to correct hypoglycemic symptoms. Choose the "Strict" diet to lose weight or the "Liberal" diet to maintain weight. Each hypoglycemic's tolerance for listed foods will vary. Judge your tolerance level by how you feel and adjust your intake of foods accordingly.

The Strict Diet:
Choose any foods from the following list

MEAT and FISH
All meats except cold cuts that contain sugars or dextrose; All fowl and game; All fish and shellfish.
DAIRY PRODUCTS
Eggs; Any natural cheese (bleu, roquefort, cheddar, cream, gouda, swiss, etc;) Cream (heavy and sour;) Cottage and Ricotta (1/2 cup limit per day;) Butter; Margarine.
FRUITS
Fresh coconut; Avocado (limit 1/2 per day;) Cantaloupe (limit 1/4 per day;) Strawberries (limit 6-8 per day;) Lime or Lemon juice for flavoring (limit 2 tsp. per day.)
VEGETABLES
Asparagus; Bean Sprouts; Broccoli; Brussels sprouts; Cabbage (limit 1 cup per day); Cauliflower; Celery Root (celeriac;) Celery; Chard; Chicory; Chinese cabbage (limit 2 cups per day;) Chives; Cucumber; Daikon (long, white radish;) Eggplant; Endive; Escarole; Fennel Bulb; Greens (Mustard, Beet, Collard etc;) Jicama; Kale; Leeks; Lettuce (any type;) Mushrooms; Okra; Olives; Parsley; Peppers (green, red, yellow, etc;) Pickles (dill, sour, limit one per day;) Pimiento; Radicchio; Radish; Rhubarb; Sauerkraut; Scallions (green onions;) Spinach; Squash (yellow or summer only;) String beans (green or yellow;) Snow peas; Tomatoes (not sauce or paste); Water Chestnuts; Watercress; Zucchini.
NUTS (limit 12 per day)
Almond; Brazil; Butternut; Filbert; Hazel; Hickory; Macadamia; Pecan; Pistachio; Sunflower seeds (small handful); Walnut.
DESSERTS
Sugar-free Jell-O with NutraSweet; Custard (made with cream and artificial sweetener.)
DRINKS
Club soda; Decaffeinated coffee; Decaffeinated tea; Caffeine-free diet sodas.
CONDIMENTS and SPICES
All herbs and spices including seeds (fresh or dried); All imitation flavorings; Horseradish; Sugar-free sauces such as Hollandaise, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Ketchup; Sugar-free salad dressings; Oil and Vinegar (all types;) Worcestershire sauce.
MISCELLANEOUS
All fats; Caviar; Tofu.
FOODS TO STRICTLY AVOID
Alcohol (most hypoglycemics can tolerate one drink after two months on the diet - use discretion as individual tolerance levels vary;) Baked beans; Refried beans; Black-eyed peas (cow peas); Bananas; Lima beans; Potatoes; Corn; Dried fruits & Fruit juices; Barley; Rice; Pasta (all types;) Flour and Corn Tortillas; Tamales; Sweets of any kind; Products which contain Dextrose, Glucose, Hexitol, Lactose, Maltose, Sucrose, Honey, Fructose, Corn Syrup, Food Starch, Caffeine.
Kristine
UKFM Member

losing weight

Postby HazelB » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:46 pm

I have been trying too to follow a low-carb diet ... and upping my intake of fruit & veg.

Kristine ... I'll maybe take a note of your list and try cutting out the foods on the STRICTLY AVOID list, and see if it makes any difference.

I've noticed over the last 6 months or so that I seem to have lost a few inches - but last time I weighed myself I hadn't actually lost any weight!!!!

Hazel
HazelB
UKFM Member

diet

Postby Kristine » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Hi Hazel,

Too much fruit can be a problem, berries are best, with double cream of course!
I had a look at the recipes section on the site that I got the list from tonight, there's a lot more there than before and even though its American there's some very yummy sounding food there. Some of them are from the Liberal side of the diet and as such, not good if you want to lose weight. A feature of low carb is that you sometimes do lose inches and clothes feel looser, but no weight loss shows up on the scales, I weigh myself at Boots and get a printout, I think their scales might be a bit more accurate than the bathroom variety.
Anyway, the link to those recipes is: http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/FAQs.htm
just scroll down to the Hypoglyaemia heading and they are in groups, if you like something sweet, some of the puddings look scrumptious. I have made the custard and the icecream, better than store bought and you know exactly what's in them. :D
Good luck,
Kristine
Kristine
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping