[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Yoga/ pilates?

Yoga/ pilates?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Yoga/ pilates?

Postby unigirl1981 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

Hi

has any one tried yoga or pilates??? i am trying to find a very gentle class but there are so many types out there!

Just wondered if anyone has tried yoga/pilates or knows about the types of yoga/pilates that are helpful for fibro?

Any advice would help!!!

Thanks

Mel xx
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Re: Yoga/ pilates?

Postby gillshutt » Fri May 22, 2009 2:46 pm

I would think that if you get a teacher who understands FM then they might be ok. Not tried them myself. Have heard good reports of Tai Chi.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby armanisgirl » Fri May 22, 2009 4:11 pm

I tried yoga just the once, before I had the fibro diagnosis. At the time my rheumy thought it was an inlammatory joint condition and suggested I try some form of exercise. I thought yoga would be fine, as it's meant to be for all fitness levels. For me, once was enough! I particularly found it unbearable on my wrist when trying to do a stretch thing - on all fours, lower chest to floor and stretch back up in an arch. My wrist couldn't cope with the pressure of trying to weight bear, so ended up leaning on elbows instead! I felt a right twit, as well as being very uncomfortable.

But as Gill has said, if the instructor is fibro aware, it might be something you are able to do and enjoy without aggravating aches and pains already there. It might be an idea to phone around some yoga places beforehand and ask if they are aware of fibro and can devise a regime more suitable for your personal requirements. Only other thing I can think of is getting hold of one of the fitness instructors that do sessions in nursing homes - our bodies often feel like they belong in a nursing home, so perhaps exercise designed for the elderly should be our first point in excercises! :lol: :lol: Good luck if you do decide to try yoga xx
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby unigirl1981 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:11 pm

i have had an email from yoga teacher who does classes at local physio dept. the class is multi level and she has clients with back injuries, pregnant ladies and neuro problems. i gave her a call and she assured me i am to take it at my own pace and that she has lots of experience teaching to people with all kinds of illnesses.
this type of yoga focuses on breathing and relaxation mainly too so i will give it a shot and see. i am going to be sensible tho and not do more than i can. my days of competative sport are over lol!!!!

will let you knowhow i go on!! i go on Tuesday its only £3.50 a go and you pay as you go so if i dont like it i have only lost £3.50. some people i called wanted £7 a go and 6 weeks paid upfront!! the cheek!
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 am

I had been watching QVC for a number of years where they occassionally show a pilate machine being used. The lady who brought it said its very good for strengthing and lenghting muscles. It seemed perfect but it was well over £300.

My husband has saved and saved and at christmas my husband bought me one from Argos (CAT NO 335/6012) AT £300 to finally have a go. QVC do offer a 30 day money back guarantee where you can send it back if its no use to you. It does fold up but really it needs to be kept out simply because its far too heavy to fold up.

Now i've not been able to use it every day but i can honestly say i have seen a benefit. Your back is supported and i find it relaxing. Before i started to use this my tip of my hands were just below my knee, i can now nearly touch my toes. There is a rebounding board that like trampoling laying down but i've only used this once, and the next day i could barely walk so think my body not ready for it yet.

I did try yoga but the sessions were for 1 and half hours, it was just far too long.

Unfortunately for me the only place i can have it left out is in the conservatory and with the weather being hot it is far too hot to use. I have already noticed my legs feeling weaker, only time sun not on it is in the morning but i'm normally far too stiff to use it then.

Just been informed that my place for pain management course is going to start 14th August for 6 weeks. I was suppose to be doing a 9 week course but to get queues down they are asking some to do this. I have chosen to do the 6 week one because it will be next year for the other one
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby jojojo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi there,

I started doing Kundalini Yoga about 4 months ago. It's not like normal yoga where you're twisting into mad unnatural shapes! It is very gentle and calming. I use a dvd called "Kundalini Yoga with Maya Fiennes to destress and detox". It works on chakras and the root chakra is connected to the kidneys and adrenals glands. It really does help me destress and calms me.

I recommended it to a fellow fibro sufferer and she is addicted now and uses it daily and is noticing an improvement. She loved it so much she bought copies for her family and friends who also love it. You can get it from Amazon or maybe look up Kundalini yoga classes in your local area (I haven't found any in mine).

It has been life changing for me but different things work for different people.

Hope this helps
jojojo
UKFM Member

Re: Kundalini yoga

Postby Grace Selfe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi everyone,my name is Grace and i am a Kundalini yoga teacher, whilst i was putting together a practise for a student of mine who suffers from fibromyalgia, i came across this site and discussion. Kundalini yoga and meditation offers plenty of tools to help you and i would certainly recommend it to be of great benefit. If you are looking for a quick fix, this will not be for you, although it doesnt take long to get results, a daily practise needs to be in place, even twice a day for 11 mins perhaps. I wanted to write as i feel very passionately about these types of illnesses, which are very common nowadays. They stem from an inbalance within the nervous system which then takes its energy from the immune system and other systems of the body which causes this and other illnesses. Kundalini works to rebalance the nervous system, and all systems of the body, naturally and effectively. If you are interested in looking into this further then i can suggest typing in kundalini yoga and fibromyalgia on the internet. I dont think im allowed to say certain sites on here. Books The Divine Doctor by Joseph Michael Levry and Meditation for medicine are good. The best idea would be to go the kundalini association for local teachers in your area and go from there. I started with using DVD's Maya Fiennes and then became a teacher myself. My hope is that you all find your way with this illness and i send you my love and healing for your journey. Thankyou for allowing me to share this with you. Brightest Blessings Grace.
Grace Selfe
UKFM Newbie

Postby JessL » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Unigirl 1981,

I do Pilates every week, and have done for the last 18 months or so. It has really improved my core strength and I feel much better for going. I started off on a Beginners course, but just attend the 'normal' Pilates class now. The exercises are much harder, but my instructor always shows easier alternatives to each exercises which really helps as I can just work within my own means.

I would be interested to hear what you think of Yoga though!
JessL
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 pm

This topic dates back to 2009 Jess and a lot if the earlier posters don't seem to be active on here now so I doubt you will hear from them reply~wise.

If you're interested in finding out more, try using the search function to see if any more recent topics have been made.

When All Else Fails, Hug Your Teddy xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JessL » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Ha, hadnt even noticed the date!! Thank you for pointing that out :).
JessL
UKFM Member

Postby RetiredBridgeburner » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 pm

If you're still looking for help Jess, I've just found the topic!

I use 10 Minute Solution Pilates Perfect Body and have worked up to doing at least some of the workout once a day (it's the ever present quandary - doing it now hurts, but tomorrow will hurt more if I don't. Ick.) but I find it to be a good low-impact form of exercise, and does wonders for flexibility and posture too (you'd be surprise how much of a role posture plays in muscular aching and what not!)

It's about a fiver on DVD from Amazon and is split into five sections of ten minutes, or there's a play all option. If I'm on a really low day I just try to do one section (it's split by body area, if memory serves it's Arms, Buns and Thighs, Belly, Compound and Stretch, which is more of a warm down than anything) and I find that's often enough to pep me up a little bit. The tailoring by area also allows you to avoid what might be hurting on that particular day.

It's definitely helped me (I was doing it once a week before falling ill, and then had to build back up from scratch) but I'd recommend watching it through once without trying to copy the exercises the first time, that way you can see whether you feel the different moves are ones you can cope with.

Also, as a motivation help I wrote the workout down so I could watch a film or play music whilst doing it - makes it more enjoyable and I found I was more willing to do it this way.

Hope that's of some use if you're still looking :-D xx
RetiredBridgeburner
UKFM Member

Postby Witchygrrl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for the tip! :-D I've just ordered the introduction to pilates 10 min DVD. I really want to try to build up some core strength.
Witchygrrl
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping