[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - My Yoga Experience

My Yoga Experience

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My Yoga Experience

Postby unigirl1981 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:00 pm

On tuesday my OH and i went to yoga for the first time. it is a type of yoga that focuses on breathing and the instructor was reaaly nice. for every move she gave me an alternative. eg bending my leg instead of stretching out in a straight line and i could stop whenever i wanted.

i spent about 1/3 of the time just sat on the mat but that was ok. i even tried a "downward dog" right at the end when i was fully stretched out and managed to hold the move for 4 seconds which doesnt sound a lot but in that position its an age!!!!!! ( its when you get on all fours and then push your bum in the air whilst straightening your legs lie you are standing up. you make a type of triangle shape)

the next day was fine, i expexted to be creaky and painful but i wasnt and today i am aching a lot but it was really relaxing, we had to lie flat and visualise at one point and i nearly fell asleep!!!!!

i will go back next week, if it gives me nothing but a restful half hour then its worth it. i felt better after as my muscles were more supple and felt less tight and sore.

if anyone else is thinking of giving it a go then make sure you find a type that focuses on breathing NOT cardio or anything else that will be too hard. and make sure you know your limits and do not do anything that hurts or starts to hurt.

Just thought i woul dlet you all know my experience in case anyone lese was thinking of giving it a go
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Re: My Yoga Experience

Postby Susieq » Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Unigirl,

I have tried something similar in the past, forget what type of yoga it was...funny name. :? I had a yoga therapist on a one to one, and it was about breathing control and visualisation. It did help me and still use it at times when I have costochondritis, using arm movements too.

As I cancelled a few times because of the FM, obviously he didn't educate himself on FM, he said to me 'you don't talk the talk but walk the
walk... :dunno: :shock: :shock:

I was mad & didn't like his attitude, so I gave up on him. :( Have not found another yoga therapist in my area to learn more.. :cry:

I hope it works for you the more you go...good luck.
Susieq
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm

yoga is always one thing i have wanted to try, but never got around to doing it.
Hope you find it a help to you uni.
how did your OH get on?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby unigirl1981 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:24 pm

my OH was a right novelty, the only man there and at 6 feet 3 and 20 stones he stood out a bit hahahahaha.

he wobbled when holding poses and was sweating at the end but loved it, he said he will come with me every night, (told him he had better not leave me for one of the skinny, bendy yoga girls tho lol')

he has lost 5 stones recently so it will help tone him up too.
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby unigirl1981 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 pm

just found site where i found my yoga teacher

http://www.yogauk.com/teachers/teachers.htm

you click on your area and it tells you the teachers there.

the type we did was hatha yoga, focuses on breathing not acrobatics!!!

unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun May 31, 2009 3:09 pm

thanks for posting that unigirl, my OH wont go with me.. :cry:
I start the pain clinic in June, so see what they advise and might find some new friends who live in my area.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Help / Tips on Coping