[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Why are councils so obstructive?

Why are councils so obstructive?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Why are councils so obstructive?

Postby PennyBlack » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 am

I've just read another topic from a member called Jeannie needing a mobility scooter and how I emphathise with her acceptance that she has reached the point where this has now become a necessity for her.

I was given a tripod type walker by my physio department a few weeks ago, but its lethal and I'm really struggling with it. Its not high enough and can't be adjusted anymore but the physio lady said its the right height. Yes it has a brake for each wheel but it runs away with me and I can't keep up with it so have to hold the brakes on slightly all the time which makes the palms of my hands sore and ache. I suffer with arthritis in both hips, scoliosis in my upper spine and narrowing of 2 discs as well as getting pain across my rib cage, upper back and dizziness. I really don't feel safe with this contraption at all.

There's no brake to lock it when I sit down anywhere so the moment I let go of it it rolls away from me down the path, pavement wherever. So I've got to wedge it with my foot. The most dangerous problem with it is when I wear a skirt. The hem wraps round each of the 2 back wheels and gets caught up in the metal brake pads. I've tried twice to get through to physio but refuse to leave a message on the answerphone as I need to talk to a real person. I can't believe that a piece of equipment designed to help those with mobility problems can have so many fundamental problems. I desperately want to exchange it for one with 4 wheels and a seat. The wheels are smaller so hopefully my skirt wont get wrapped round those. The only problem is that that particular walker is so much heavier and I couldn't possibly lift it onto a bus. Such are the joys of trying to travel by bus but thats another problem.

I am just hanging on in the grey area where a mobility scooter is rapidly becoming a very real need. I qualify for one as I'm on higher rate DLA but where I live is totally unsuitable for anyone with mobility issues. I can't get in the bath, don't have a shower. I was assessed by an OT last autumn who having spent nearly 2 hours assessing me said this flat was totally wrong for me. The access in and out ridiculous, that I qualify for a walk in shower but would not authorise one whilst I live here. Because I have plasterboard walls again the OT suppliers will not fix grab or handrails or any other aid that needs permanent fixing anywhere. All I have is a raised toilet seat and frame, they can't do anymore for me here.

The OT assessor wrote a letter to the council stating my problems and that I need to be rehoused in ground floor accommodation which could be adapted for various grab rails and hallway wide enough to store a scooter. I filled in the transfer form and included a number of support letters from various medical people all confirming my health and mobility problems and needs and all stating the same at the OT assessor. I've recently been allocated a CPN who I'm hoping will also write a letter in support.

Irrespective of all the 'evidence' of support the council have classified my medical need for a transfer as low and have stated to me personally that they are not transferring anyone for the forseeable future irrespective of need. I'm spitting feathers of frustration, anger and very depressed. My quality of everyday living and life is so low. My bedroom is only 7' wide so trying to move around in that room alone is tough enough as it is. I can't make my bed because I can't pull the bed away from the wall so my son has to do it.

I can't wash my own feet and have to get someone else to do it usually my son and thats not fair. Sometimes a week goes by or more before I get my feet washed. All I can do is have a strip wash at the hand basin but no-one cares or listens it seems.

I've contacted the CAB again and they agree that the council is being obstructive and not put me in the right medical need banding which should be B and not C and that they should be taking notice of all the medical evidence and allowing me to be rehoused.

Is anyone else in the same situation as this?
PennyBlack
UKFM Member

Re: Why are councils so obstructive?

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with the council.
It does not sound fair, surely ground floor flats become empty, it wont be like they are losing a property, it will just be a swap.
Have you tried doing an exchange?
Hope your council sorts it selves out and re-home you.
Good luck.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby armanisgirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:18 pm

This is going to sound a bit odd, but have you tried the welfare rights department within your council? And also DIAL or your local disabilty advice centre, as well as CAB. Perhaps a phone call or email to your local MP might help too, especially if there's a 'housing convener' MP! Along with the evidential letters etc, see if the CAb or someone similar will write a letter of complaint to the housing department manager, and then if needed take it higher than that.

Do you have housing associations in your area? It might be worth applying for a house/ground floor flat/bungalow with them. That way you could be re-housed quicker, though I would continue with a formal complaint against the coucnil's housing department - their attitude stinks! But also discuss alternative options with the OT regarding walking aids, as this also has to be a priority.

Good luck with it all, and I hope you get some success very quickly. Take care xx :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
armanisgirl
UKFM Member

Postby jeannie45 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:59 pm

hi pennyblack
im so sorry to know that you are having so many problems with walking and housing ,its like hitting your head againts a brick wall and so frustrating why do some diabled people get treated like this ,they just dont care some of them they dont know what its like ,
i got myself sorted out with a scooter i was very lucky its almost new and a bargin
i only hope you get sorted out , try and see your local mp ect as shaz has all ready said.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug:

jeanx
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Postby Doughnut » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Pennyblack

I can sympathis with you to a certain degree. I have a lovely 3 bed bungalow that i have rented for the last 5 years, due to the fact that I am now on ESA and HB and CTB I have to find £25 a week out of the pitance they give me to go towards the rent as they have refused to pay it all. I rang the local council and asked them if I could move into another bungalow ( 2 beds is fine as its only me and my son ) and they said that wouldnt be a problem. I then asked if they would help me move if I found somewhere and put up the bond as I didn't have the deposit and they said no. They only put up bond money if I am homeless! I was advised not to pay the rent and get evicted then they would help me!

I wish I could have a council place but the waiting list for this area is nearly 7 years!

I hope you manage to sort out your problem Pennyblack, all the best.

Doughnut :hugs:
Doughnut
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:35 pm

this makes very sad reading......write to your local MP's about this.........i own my home and before twins were born and before fibro appeared myself and partner worked hard to buy our home, pay off our mortgage and build a big extension which left us some savings in the bank for when we eventually had children - our twins came along via IVF treatment due to another medical problem i suffer from.....and then after they were born fibro kicked in - i couldnt go back to work as intended after my year off as fibro and my endo flared up and my partner now only works part time as he has to look after me and twins - we went to benefit office to ask if we could get anything - their answer - sell your house and downgrade to free up some money !!!!!....i do get incapacity benefit, child benefit and some child tax credits and partner gets some working tax credit - you can imagine how angry we were to be told cos we have some savings we cannot get anything else - so the money we worked so hard for to provide security for our kids is being used to pay the bills..and when that runs out ?....might be able to get something then ???....i think not.............we were angry as we have paid a lot of tax and their are so many people who are homeless due to divorce or whatever reason and sleeping on benches and disabled people who thru not fault of their own need re homing yet we cannot get what we should............i said to the benefits office if i was an illegal immigrant would i be treated the same way? of course not - i would be homed, i would get money just for being here, i would get a car and insurance paid on it............and they have never paid a penny - yet we have paid a lot of tax and are entitled to nothing.....

it makes my blood boil, i know i am fortunate to not yet have to worry about paying the bills etc but its only thru our own hard work......

you should write and complain to your councils, your MP etc.....look around your area and see if you can find out what sort of people are being housed and ask why they get priority over a disabled person?

i am sorry if i sound like i am racist - i am not at all but i believe that the british tax payer should come first....alot of people think it but not enough voice their opinion.

keep fighting
shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:13 pm

am sorry if i sound like i am racist - i am not at all but i believe that the british tax payer should come first....alot of people think it but not enough voice their opinion. (quote)

:|Have to agree with the above sentiment, my late dad used to say this was a great country if you werent born in it :nono: :nono:
While I think its sad that people have to flee thier own homeland, Britain seems to be the soft touch to take them all in, they pass through many other countries to get here but the other countries wont take them in, whatever happened to the old saying "charity begins at home"
I think our entire benefits system stinks and doesnt do enough for those that have tried to help themselves, its bad enough we have to put up with this rottten condition without being penalised financially for it too :dunno:

Take Care, Anne :hugs: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 pm

thank you anne - i am glad you agree....

my partner's dad fought in the war and he wouldnt believe the state of this country if he was still here.......

shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:47 am

This is getting a bit off topic and not much help to Penny.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby PennyBlack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:23 am

Sorry about the delayed response! Its okay Gill, prompted by what I said made the other members also feel frustrated and its good everyone feels they can vent their frustrations.

I'm still battling on with trying to get a transfer. I talked to someone from the CAB about approaching the local MP and he said it wouldn't do any good because there are a lot of changes currently in the process of happening regarding transfer requests and its called choice based letting or CBL. Housing associations are no longer going to be responsible for internal transfers and the responsibility has been handed over to the local councils. (I think I said all this before but can't remember, so sorry if I'm repeating myself). And, not all councils are yet part of this new scheme and it will take at least another year before they are. In the meantime, those councils who are not yet part of the scheme have simply 'frozen' all transfer requests. And I live in an area where the local council isn't yet part of the scheme.

To date despite all the various letters of support that have been sent by various medical people and other community run organisations, the council have stubbornly insisted I'm still classified as 'low' medical need.

But what they don't know is that I've just recently been allocated a CPN. I'm seen as an outpatient at the Mental Health Unit (for my ongoing depression) by a lovely doctor and she has just written another amazing letter in support. Her secretary has sent me a draft copy for my comments which took me hours to sort out and when I send it back, the doctor will then finalise it and send it off because she said a lot of my problems are due to where I'm living. I'll also ask the rheumatologist to send a letter of support when I see her again in November for the results of the bone scan I've yet to have and what treatment I'll be getting. Because by then she'll have a definite diagnosis although she is saying fibromyalgia etc anyway. The council just HAVE TO listen.
PennyBlack
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:45 am

I hope they pull their finger out soon and you get your move ((xx))
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby cat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:39 pm

i can fully sympathise with u for 2 1/2yrs i argued with my council for being rehomed and when they started building new houses i even asked for a custom build when it was still at the planning stage which was flatlly refused then when the houses were near complition i contacted my local MP (not the one that controlled the area where i stayed) and before i could blink i got a letter saying that i was to get one of the new builds which was great ive now been in my new house for 8 months and life is great as i can now get outside i have a garden i got my level access shower fitted last month my taps have all been replaced for levers as hands dont always work i do have stairs to get up and down to get to bed but i hav a downstairs toilet and an upstair bathroom my OT put a second handrail onto the stairs as i flatly refused a stairlift as the stairs r norrow and i have 4 kids but ive been told just to phone if it gets to much for me or when my kids start moving out (my eldest is 14 and my main carer) - there is no OH i just try not to forget anything when i come down in the morning and i go upstairs when my eldest is going to bed incase of falls.

What im trying to say is keep on at the council dont give up it will be worth it in the end when u finally get that letter saying ur moving
You just have to keep going the world won't stop with you
cat
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 pm

this frightens me so much. i feel you should be given the help you need. and also go to ht emp for help or local paper.

at the moment i live with my parents. but am frightened that in the futrue if i get so i cant manage the stairs etc will the council help me to get a bungalow of my own or will they make my parenst have to move in order for me to go with them into a bungalow.

i cant afford my own place. but prob could a council place in the future if i have too. but dont know where i stand with living with parents. why should they have to move in order to accomadate me.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby moonbeam » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Smiler

You are quite within your rights to apply for housing on your own. Your parents cannot be made to move to accommodate you if that is not what you all want. (I used to be a Housing Officer!)

Moonbeam x
moonbeam
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping