[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Postby Steven101 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey Guys. How are you feeling, hope your not feeling to bad.

The past few days have been ok for me, my pain has been bearable and my exhaustion is not that bad either BUT, I started yoga about three days ago and it seems that its made my fibro start up again. My pain is creeping back up to being bad and im a starting to feel exhausted. Last night i had this really bad dizziness and off balance feeling.

I also have this feeling like im covered in clay, its a weird feeling, i also have the feeling like i have not eaten, i do eat and sometimes i eat when im not hungry

So i was wondering does exercise make fibro worse. I think because i have had a few days of being ok, i have pushed myself to much, i have been walking really fast and doing things that i could not normally do lol im paying for it now though.

Anyway thanks guys. Virtual Hugs to you ALL
Steven101
UKFM Member

Re: Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Postby shazq » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi
I am having a course of the pain clinic for 8 weeks, for the last 2 weeks we have been in the gym.
The advice we have been given is to do just very gentle exercises.
They had a exercise ball, there are brill, there are quite a few exercise you can do with them, but you can only use them for about 5 mins at a time, maybe start of slowly and use it twice a day.

Sitting down you can put a towel around the bottom of your heel and then lift the leg up, do that about 5 times on each leg.
Also you can twist your body side to side.

You can also use your bottom step, just step on and off for a few times.

Again its all down to pacing, little bits at a time.
Swimming is very good if your body is up to it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby michele79 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi i'm michele, new to the forum and relatively new to Fibromyalgia.

A little back ground; I started with Fibro around a year ago now following a series of stressful events. Considering i have always been a very energetic and 'bouncy' type of person, i found the incapacitating condition very difficult to come to terms with mentally but the diagnosis made me feel somehow better! For months prior to diagnosis, i thought i was either going mad or had something very sinsiter wrong with me. Whilst i have migrating pain, i have a lot of pain across my chest and was convinced i had some life threatening condition so my diagnosis came as a relief to be honest. I won't go on about my symptoms as this is around exercise isnt it.

As i said, it's now a year on and i have flair ups triggered by personal stress - work stress doesn't seem to alter my physical not mental health but should something happen i.e. my dog dying, i flair up and it lasts around 2/3 weeks until my nortriptaline kicks in. Exercise is really difficult during these times, what with the strange migrating pain and especially as the soles of my feet are in constant pain upon touching the ground! The challenge for me is that i have a horse, had him prior to FM and have no thoughts or wish to give him up - that'd be sure to make me much much worse as emotionally i would be a state lol - so regardless of how ill i feel, i have to get myself up and out - it can take me up to an hour just to skip out (pick up horse pooh from the bed), i tend not to ride on bad days but generally, the more i make myself do, the less are my symptoms.

Obviously, i recognise that everyone is unique therefore my symptoms and management of such will vary from others - but - i know, for me, if i keep on moving i feel so much better. The exercise i undertake at present is nowhere near at the same level as previous to FM - 2 years ago i was walking over 4 miles a night with my dog, was 2 stone lighter and probably produced a much higher level of endorphines.

So top and tail of it is, for me, i benefit from exercise. Specifically horse riding that is. It opens my hips, provides a medatitive calm hour 3-4 times per week and lifts my mood hugely.

Give it a try! Though i wouldn't commit to buying one as on the bad days i cry and eat pain killers for fun lol

Take care! Michele :D
michele79
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Michele and welcome to the forum :wave:

Horse riding would probably finish me off but glad it works for you :)

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping