[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - New theory for cause and management?

New theory for cause and management?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New theory for cause and management?

Postby Kat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:13 am

Alright, brand new member so bear with me...

http://www.ei-resource.org/Articles/fibro-art07.asp

(Hope it's right)

I'm fairly new to fms, having only been diagnosed shortly before Christmas, but I have been reading around a lot and that's the first time I've come across that theory.

Also, having done some digging in a herbal encyclopaedia type book, I have come across this plan for managing the symptons-

Avoid:
-red meat
-shellfish
-fatty foods
-acidic foods (tomatoes, vinegar)
-potatoes, green peppers and aubergines
-limit/avoid high in hydrogenated & saturated fats
-eliminate caffeine and alcohol
-greatly reduce sugar consumption

Increase intake of
-green, leafy vegetables
-fluids, especially freshly squeezed fruit and veg juice, especially carrot
-small, frequent meals rather than three big ones

Supplements
-NADH (reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide)
-malic acid and magnesium
-5-HTP (5-hydroxy trytophan)
-SAM-e S-adenosylmethionine
-coenzyme quo

(Yeah, for anyone who feels they're not getting enough chemicals, right? :D)

Herbal supplements
-grapeseed extract
-devil's claw
-white willow bark
-gingko
-cayenne
-st john's wort

Has anyone tried any of this? It seems pretty extreme, but I thought I'd give it a shot, and at least I'd lose a bit of weight from cutting out all that food.

And is anyone else faintly offended by the man who wrote the article I linked to's insistence on referring to us as 'fibro canaries'? Conjures up images of a mad scientist checking on people kept in cages down a mine somewhere...
Kat
UKFM Newbie

Postby Beth » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:50 am

yes it is an interesting articule and one ive neevr come across before. i wonder though if the person has had personal experience with fm as in experienced the pain it causes. I agree that there isnt a drug cure but the way he phrase the last part isnt right, we know their isnt a drug cure but when your in constant agony any help is better then no help. Im not sure i understood all of it though as fm can present from so many different sources that it makes it hard to pin down what is its cause.

I was told by my physio to cut out suger, acidic things and meat (including white meat) but she ave me a list of so many things that i shouldnt be eating i may as well have starved msyelf and be done with it, she told me to eat sprouts but they amke me throw up. I take herbal supplements including devils claw, flaxseed oil and termaric but im not sure what effect they have when i first started taking them i felt quite good but after prolonged use im either getting used to it or they are becoming less effective.

it would be interesting though to hear others view on this.
Beth
UKFM Member

Postby TinaT » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi Beth,
I also read your post with interest - and the link - I needed a smile this morning! (Well - canaries!!!)
It reminded me of my visits to a chiropractic about five years ago. I thought he might be able to help with the pain and although he did 'tweak' a couple of bones (well, I felt something crack) he was more concerned about my diet and 'we are what we eat'. I was tested for food intolerance and put on a diet that was to be my 'cure'. Sixteen months later, feeling much worse and down to six stone in weight - he told me that he could no longer help!
Yes, I do believe that diet is important if managed correctly- but as yet, haven't managed the 'correctly' bit. :lol:
I've tried many treatments over the past eight years and have found alternative treatments work the best for me - but would love to find a pill that gives me a least one good day now and again - and would I savour it!!
Sorry you've been diagnosed with fibro' - but welcome to this site and to a wonderful group of 'friends'. :)
Gentle hugs, Tina
"If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours"
TinaT
UKFM Member

Postby TinaT » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Whoops!! :oops:
Having a fog day - bet you wondered where that came from. :)
Followed a link from the earlier one and , lo and behold, it wasn't oxygen that was causing our fibro', but our modern diet that is overloading our bodies. Lots of theories, but whatever the cause, we are paying for it. :(
Tina
"If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours"
TinaT
UKFM Member

Postby mairi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Thank you for notifying us of this site.
There's a lot more! Go to the home page of the site mentioned above--it is Environmental Illnesses. Scroll down to find Dr. Majid Ali's website address and on it you will learn about the Fibro Furies!
Comments later when I have time to read it properly myself.
mairi
UKFM Member

Postby BuffyBoo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:15 am

Hi,
I'm alo impressed!
I like being a canary, small, tuneful and yellow, Brilliant!
I'm not sure what we should believe but physio's will tell you that areobic exercise is good for you cos it transmits oxygen to the muscles....so he has some corrobaration. I'd never be able to stick to a severe regieme, I'm far too self indulgent but I still like being a canary. Tweet tweet! :lol:
Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves altogether!
BuffyBoo
UKFM Member

Postby angel.vamp » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:19 am

angel.vamp
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping