[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - car adaptions

car adaptions

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

car adaptions

Postby smiler22 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:15 pm

hi i have a big problem. i have had my wrist fused and am having problems using the handbrake on my car. i have tried finding companyes who do an adaption to help me use the handbrake easier but they say they are around 120 pound to buy . i went to my local socail services to ask if they provide any and found that they dont. but however now they have suggested i look into whether i can get dla mobility. but as i told them i can still walk with crutches. have got a wheelchair for when i need one and dont know whether they will give me mobility or not. so they have told me to go to the cab and ask for their help in filiing out the forms.

anyway does anyone on here know of anywhere i could get an adaption for the car from.

ive also tried the local mobility shops but they dont do them. :banghead:

my computers still down by the way so ill try to get back on whe i can, xxxxx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Re: car adaptions

Postby shazq » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Have you looked into getting an automatic car?
We have one and were told that when you put the car into park you don't need to use the handbrake.
That might be of help?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Deegill » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi, i would go for mobility, it miight just make your life easier.

Certainly go for an automatic car. I'm trying to think were my driving instructor had her disabled handbrake. But im sure you can have one on the panels.

With automatic car, you can use a gear stick like lever to put it in drive, park, reverse, neutral, and my car had a pilot like landing brakes, which is all down to the left hand, so i would suggest you look into one on the right side or on the panel in front of you.

Dee
A smile a day keeps the doctor away!

Denise xx
Deegill
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:55 pm

hi thanks for replys. i already have an automactic car have done since 2005. as i couldnt use the gear stick all the time.
prob is though when i worked a little for an insurance company they said that even though you have a park button /gear you cannot be insured for using this without the handbrake. as if this was the case they would nt bother putting a hand brake in an automatic car anyway. if you could get away with the park button.

i am going to cab to ask for help with the mobility dla. forms. so hear goes xxxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby Mystic_Angel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

Hi, I've only just joined so I'm not sure if I'm replying to this a little too late, but I thought I'd put this little bit of info out there anyway in case no-one has heard about it before. My brother just got a new car a little while ago a VW Passat and it has no "Handbrake" you have to double pump the foot brake when you park. I don't know if this would be any easier for you? If you do manage to get a motability car this adaption might be worth thinking about?
Mystic_Angel
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:03 pm

hi firstly welcome to this site. like many including myself im sur youll find it really friendly and useful.

secondly i cant afford to change my car. so adaption is my only option. as for the mobility i got refuesed again. it said i can walk said metres although with a crutch and then wheelchair when needed but i dont need help or someoene with me to help me.

i havent bothered to appeal. the fact that if i want to go into town i cant if i walk and would need to be pushed in my wheelchair dont count i dont think as they know i drive into town and have a blue badge. lo ho hum. enough said they just dont wannagiv me it.

im still lokking into getting an adaption though.thanks for the thought tho it may help others.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby cariad » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi I have been looking into adapting my car. Its a Renault so I went to the nearest branch and they directed me to a local company who are willing to do it. I have to ring local hospital which mainly deals with people with phys dis and they will assess me and make a recommendation to the company as to what suits me best. This will not cost more than £500 apparently. This seems to be all over the country so I suppose the fist step is to ring your main car dealer for the phone no. Good luck! :wave:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi

My husband is a driving instructor who teaches people with disabilities, the handbrake adaption is one he was looking to add to his car and came up with the same prices as you. He did find some on eBay but they were not suitable for his car so it's worth a try looking on there, as they were reasonably priced.

Fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:18 pm

thanks i have looked into all ways and the cheapest i can find i the ones at 120 pund however it will cost mor eto get it fitted. the main garages around here are not the ones that can fit it within the standaards apparantly. although they hav esaid they would try. for the moment im do to have an operation so wont be driving for a bit anywya. but will see how it goes onece ive had it done.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping