[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - hot baths and lavender

hot baths and lavender

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hot baths and lavender

Postby Sharon » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi All,
Has anyone got any tips on relaxing that doesn't involve baths or lavender.
I havn't been able to get in or out of a bath for a few years now and I'm allergic to lavender. :roll:
Sharon
I would like to use one of my lifelines.
Sharon
UKFM Member

Postby minty » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:39 pm

Sharon

Why don't you ask your Occupational therapist to supply a bath chair as their a god send I have had one for the past 7 months as I had the same problem as you.

If you don't have an occupational therapist ask you doctor to put you in touch with one. They can supply other helpful gadgits too.

Good luck and gentle hugs

Jackie
minty
UKFM Member

Postby Sharon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi Jackie,
Thanks for the advice, one big problem though, I don't have a bath. :D
I don't have an OT either. I live in a council house in an area where they don't believe that anyone under 70 could possibly be disabled or that there could be more than one disabled person in a family. My husband and youngest son are both disabled.
We had to fight for 10 years to get the council to change the bathroom so I didn't have to help them both in and out of the bath even with a bath lift(son can't walk/stand). We now have a open floor shower, which makes things a lot easier to get everyone clean, just no soaking.
We have to ask the council to send an OT in, it takes ages and we have to fight for every thing.
Thanks for thinking of me though.
Sharon
Sharon
UKFM Member

Postby Jane » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi Sharon,

Not all my aches and pains are fibro ones and it can be difficult sometimes to differentiate, so maybe my tip won't work for you. However I swear by a hot water bottle for a bit of temporary relief. I would suggest a wheatie but they tend to have lavender in them. Sometimes an ice pack can provide temporary relief as well. Cheap, cheerful (I have a Sean the Sheep hot water bottle cover), non addictive and no side effects. Especially good when waiting for medication to kick in.

The downside is, as I say, the effect is temporary, and you can only treat one or two areas at a time.

LOL
Jane
Jane
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:11 pm

:D My favourite is TWO hot water bottles plus my personal player with earphones and the sounds of the sea playing quietly away, then I use the relaxation techniques I learnt when I was first pregnant 26 years ago!!! Basically you squeeze each group of muscles from your toes right up thru to your head, gently, and hold for several seconds and release them very slowly.
Have you a Pain Management course going on near you that you could attend, is it possible for you to get there if there is one? I know in the south west areas 6 week courses (one afternoon a week here) are happening all the time. The Arthritis Association do some and your health authority might have details and it may help you? Its not just fibro peeps, its for all chronic conditions and is run by trained sufferers too. Very friendly and helpful.
Sounds like you have a very busy life so I don't know if this helps at all, just hope that in your busy day you can find time to rest and have a few minutes to yourself. Oh yes, my f-i-law has a bathroom like yours and he sits with his feet in a bowl so his feet can soak!!! :lol: Joo x
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby Lemonzest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:31 am

i try to avoid baths, as there ok at the time but the next day its like I've been kicked all over by a gang of champion kickers :( but have to have at least 2 a week to keep up appearances :D
Lemonzest
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:20 pm

:D We don't have a bath in the house now, hubby thought showers were the way to go!!! I do miss them occasionally but have a great friend over the road who lets me have a soak and candles when the urge is strong!!! I love my friends cos they also try to understand fibro!! :D Joo x
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby Sharon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for all the tips.
My mum has managed to get me a wheat bag without lavender. It really helps. I don't know about pain management courses. I havn't even been refered to a pain clinic :x
I can't bear to have ice anywhere on me, it really hurts. :shock:
I have arthritis as well so maybe that's why heat works best. Can't stand too much heat or humidity though, then I can't move at all.
I know that sounds weird but my mum always said that I could never be normal :D
Sharon
Sharon
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi Sharon, another good thing to try and wear is lightweight thermal underwear - okay, I know it's not very trendy but who worries about that too much!! One of my favourites is a Marks n Spencer longsleeved black top and as it's plain, I can wear it under stuff so it doesn't show. They do long leggings too so if your knees are bad this will help. Hope it helps. If you're feeling sad they are a great way to raise a larf too - just put it all on and stand sideways to a full length mirror and you won't be able to stop yourself!!! :shock: :lol: Joo x :lol: :shock:
Joo
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping