[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - magnesium supplement

magnesium supplement

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

magnesium supplement

Postby dinkydoo32 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 am

Does anyone know if its okay to take magnesium with amitriptyline and Acupan? Hubby went to local health shop for me yesterday and they recommend tha i take cod liver oil and magnesium.
Ta, dinky. xx
dinkydoo32
UKFM Member

Re: magnesium supplement

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:32 am

Hi...

You are best seeking a professional opinion on this IMO

You can call your GP or any local pharmacy for info
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dinkydoo32 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks, I'm seeing GP tomorrow so will ask her, just wondered if anyone elae was already taking it with these meds. xx
dinkydoo32
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Its best to ask your GP before you take any other meds, they might react to what you are on.
your pharmacy will be able to give you advice on what is safe to take.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lynnedb » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:55 am

I wonder why the health shop recommend you take these things? What do they basis their opinion on? I would be very careful about taking any advice from someone who isn't a health professional, or at least has some knowledge or expertise in the subject

Cod liver oil is recommended in some cases, I would check if you fall into this category though. I have recently had a ton of blood tests at the gp surgery and hospital, and am now being perscribed stuff on the results of those tests. I think this is a safer way to go

good luck
If you love someone, you're supposed to tell them.
It's hard to stay positive when even your 'fat pants' are tight.
lynnedb
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Check with a pharmacist. The most important issue I believe is that you find a magnesium supplement you can easily absorb as otherwise they can act as laxatives and that would effect your absorption of your meds. Magnesium malae or chelated magnesium are generally regarded as the most easily absorbed forms.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby BoveySusie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm

BoveySusie
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 pm

A slight magnesium deficiency would give similar symptoms to Fibro, so if you had one on top of Fibro, it would effectively worsen your Fibro symptoms. Magnesium deficiencies can't be tested for in blood tests until you're severely deficient and need admitting to hospital asap, so the best way to check for a deficiency is to take a good supplement for 3 months, see if you feel better, then stop it and see if you feel worse. Many people with Fibro need magnesium supplementation.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:56 pm

ok this happened to me........
i had a appt with the local pharmacist in boots at beginning of this year.... just a check on you r medications they said. anyway i went in a room withthe male pharmacist. who then went through all of my meds and asked if i knew what they were for etc.... then he asked what my health probs are...... i told him of the fibro and everything else i have.... he then suggested that for the tiredness and cramping spasms, other probs and fibro that i should try taking magnesium complex and vit b6 tabs from health shop as this can also cause these probs...... he said that it should help reduce the problems and may help with the fibro if i may have a magnesium defiency.

anyway i went and spent the money on them for three months and then after i had no difference in circumstances and the pain etc i went to my gp who said that i shouldnt of gone on them anyway.. he said that if the gps thought i had a defiency in magnesium they would of tested me for it and put me on it himself...... so it just shows that if your not sure please get your gps advice.......
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:20 am

A GP cannot test for magneisum deficiency as the levels in the blood don't reflect the levels in the cells. So I'm not sure what your GP thought he could have done!
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

it could well of been me not heard him properly. basically he was saying that if they thought id have magnesuim defiencey etc then usually you get systoms that would mean they would look in to it...........all i know is the tablets i had been taking didnt do anything and i didnt benefit from them so obviously i didnt need to be taking them.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby dinkydoo32 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 pm

I checked with the doc and she was happy for me to take both supplements which iam now doing, and yes there was an article in the healthy magazine which also recommended magnesium. Not feeling the benefits of prescribed meds - nefopam, amitryptiline, diclofenac or the supplements so far!!!! :(
dinkydoo32
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

With supplements, you would need to take them for 3 months to see if they're helping.

How long have you been on ami? Research suggests that it's common with Fibro for ami to start to lose its effectiveness after 2-3 months.

If you're taking nefopam on a regular basis, it should help more the longer you take it as it slowly helps to build up better dopamine levels....but this can take weeks/months.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping