[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - bruising after massage??

bruising after massage??

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

bruising after massage??

Postby Helen Marie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:22 am

Hi, my dad treated me to a day at a health spa yesterday (thanks dad) and i had a deep tissue massage.
It was painful but i was told it was a good releasing pain, felt good after but last night i felt like i had sunburn all across my back and shoulders (didnt feel like muscle ache)
This morning, skin feels very sore indeed, even just the clothing laying on it. shoulder muscles feel achy ... thats ok. but now i have purple bruising across shoulders and back :shock:

does this happen to other ppl ?

on a good note, the steam room, sauna and hydrotherapy pool was fab, i was on a high when i got home, stress free and chilled :woot:

my dad says he will buy my another day there for xmas :D
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Re: bruising after massage??

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Helen

Glad you had a nice day.
I have never had a massage, so cant help on that one, but being bruised dont sound right.
I would go see your GP to show the bruising then complain to the health club.
Take some pics of it too.

Hope it eases soon.
Good luck. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jenny Wren » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:17 pm

What a nice Dad you have! :)

Sorry to hear about the bruising though. I found out on holiday that a massage when I was having a bad spell was not a good idea, I didn't bruise, but it was terribly painful in places, and I felt like I'd been beaten up.

If you do go again, certainly tell the spa about what happened, and ask them to be much more gentle - or opt for a different type of massage or other treatment altogether. And yes, report it to your GP so they know what happened.
Jenny Wren
UKFM Member

Postby cariad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi. You definitely should not have bruising following a massage even if it was a deep tissue massage, which you really shoudnt have had with fibro.
I would actually complain to the spa (showing bruising)as the massure should not be doing that to people and obviously doesn't understand her job or conditions that have to have different types of massage. Please dont have another one with the same person and make sure ther massure understands about fibro and what you can and cannot tolerate. This makes me cross as spa's are expensive and should employ peope who know about different types/conditions. :nono:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Take pictures of the bruising before they fade. Not all GP's will believe you if you tell them you got bruises from a massage.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 pm

I would take pictures as Mr A said and then see your GP. Excessive bruising can be a sign of some other medical conditions so its worth checking out.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby mama t » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 pm

i had a theraputic massage over the summer but it each time i went it left me very poorly with flu like symtoms the first time i thought it was just coninsidence but when it happened again after the second one i discontinued the massages they were given by a fully qualifed massure who works with pallitive care patients. at the time i wasn't diagnosed but they knew about my lupus condition so they were careful which oils to use ect as they know my skin is extremely sensitive i have to wash in perscription ointment and can only shower. i would be very careful if you are to have any form of massage as i couldn't walk for almost a month, my hubby had to almost carry me into the doctors.

love n light mama t :hugs: :hugs:
mama t
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Myofascial release (which can be done without the therapist knowing about it if they're not specially trained!) needs to be managed very carefully with Fibro as it releases built up toxins in the muscles. My therapist has a lot of experience of Fibromites and she always starts very gentle and warns people to drink plenty of water afterwards and rest up. Some people she can only do 5 minutes in depth work on at first.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

i have had deep massage thearpy for the last seven years. and i have never been bruised...... the physio has said that i may feel like ive been run over like a bus and may feel like im bruised under the skin but i should never get external bruising so like the others have said take photos and get to your gp.. you may have a case for legal thingy ma jobs.... can think what they are called. xx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby SMwithFM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi I'm new here (it's my first post). I have FM and I'm also a massage therapist so thought I would make a comment on this thread.

After a massage (especially a deep tissue one), the muscles can ache afterwards like you've done a work out and often conditions can worsen before they get better. This is a normal and natural response to treatment and is a positive sign that the body is healing. It is called a healing response. Other common healing responses include headaches, flu-like symptoms, emotional release, tiredness, sleep disturbance - the list goes on. These reactions can happen to anyone regardless of their medical history. Every time I have a massage I always get some form of healing reaction - mainly aches, flare up of back pain, numbness, and nerve pain, and increase in anxiety. These reactions can last anywhere between a couple of hours to 48 hours.

It is very important when you go for a massage to let the therapist know if the pressure is too firm that way they can adjust it to suit you. If you do not like deep pressure or are sensitive to pain more as many people with FM are, I would would recommend maybe trying a different type of massage such as an holistic massage or aromatherapy massage which is a lighter pressure. If you have trigger points that also refer pain in addition to the FM then deep tissue can be very effective but always ensure the therapist knows you have fibromyalgia and how it affects you - as we all know it affects everyone differently.

I have had many deep tissue/sports massages from physios and sports therapists and on two occasions I ended up with some bruising where they worked on trigger points on my back. They were good therapists and I never really thought much of it. I didn't really care as the relief I had got from the massage outweighed the bruising - my back was pretty bad for a few days but after that i had a good level of relief. Also, everyone bruises differently - some people bruise a lot easier than others and this the therapist cannot judge unless you inform them that you bruise easily (if you do that is).
SMwithFM
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 pm

firstly welcome to the forum. and secondly thanks for you r input it is good to have input from people on the othe rside of roles . such as physio etc....

like i said i have regular phsyio sessions from a masseua. and he is very good. i hav enever bruised although i feel like ity sometimes. but like you i find that this actually helps. and after a few days i feel better an dnot so tightened up. although i dont feel loosened up completely do to my othe rhealth probs. i swear by my physio he is very good an dhelpful and gets me laughingthrough the pain. lol
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping