alpha-stim

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

alpha-stim

Postby jackiemills » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm

I have read that this product the alpha-stim can help with the pain has any used one, or know of anyone that has used it.
A friend of mine was looking into fibro and come across it, i have read about but was under the impression it was not cheap so my friend suggested a tens machine if that would do the same thing.
Any ideas.
jackie
jackiemills
UKFM Member

Re: alpha-stim

Postby princess » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

No never heard of it but there are a few people on here who have used Tens Machines.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 am

I was shown their site by a friend who also has FMS and to me it just seems like an expensive TEN's machine. Considering you can pick a TEN's up for £20 at most chemists, it does seem a lot of money.

I might be wrong so if someone knows how this is different to the normal machines I'd be great ful if you'd let me know.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby SamJL » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi
I'm using the Alpha-stim 100 at the moment. There are 3 types of Alpha stim machines. The PPM (personal pain manager) is similar to TENS but supposed to be more effective although I'm not sure if its worth the price difference. The SCS (stress control system) is for depression, anxiety and insomnia BUT can also help with pain control for people with fibro. Lastly, the 100 which I have is a combination of both but is more expensive.
As you are probably aware its American and they've been using it over there for years. There is good evidence from the research thats been done for its effectiveness in fibromyalgia.
I got the 100 because I have tendonitis and I thought I would benefit from both forms and although it certainly isn't cheap. Its about the same as 10 sessions of acupuncture but unlike acupuncture if it doesn't work for you it could always be sold or even returned within a certain amount of time (I think).
I've been using the SCS every day for the last 10 days and the TENS type I've used 3-4 times over the same period. I use it on a low setting for an hour because I found the higher setting made me dizzy.I certainly feel different already. I'm sleeping better,feel relaxed and theres a definate improvement in the debilitating fatigue I had been suffering with. Pain wise there is an improvement, its not dramatic but I ache less and my muscles feel less stiff and heavy. I still have myofascial pain and joint pain but its early days. I've ordered some Corvalen M as some of the research showed even more improvement if this is taken as well as using the SCS daily
Hope this is helps :dunno:
Sam
SamJL
UKFM Newbie

Postby jackiemills » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi
thanks to all who replyed and sam if you can keep us all updated as to how you are feeling with this machine and if it does differ from the tens as my dad has brought a tens machine for me to see if it helps.
thanks again
jackie
jackiemills
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping