[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Shoes

Shoes

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoes

Postby mairi » Sun May 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Many things take on a new importance with the diagnosis of Fibro.

I've had to be 'bovvered' for years about what I put on my feet. Fashion usually has to be ignored, it's comfort and practicality that matter. Flat shoes have been necessary for a very long time since back injuries. Trial and error, plus the diagnosis of foot drop and a marginally shorter leg due to muscle contractions have given me new insights. For instance, when retired early and spending much time at home, I wore slippers for hours on end. These stayed on my feet because they were elasticated and were soft but gave me no support. Eventually I realised I needed to wear shoes indoors so bought lightweight ones.

Latterly I have been finding Scholls sandals very comfortable as they have a moulded footbed.

A neighbour told me about a new type of shoe---MTs (think that was the name-Masai Trainer). Studies were made of how native South Africans walk, as they do, without shoes. From these came a sole shape with a cut-away heel and shaped footbed which stretch the Achilles tendons and calves of your leg.

My neighbour, after finding them quite uncomfortable at first, now swears by them as the stretch on her legs has realigned her bad back(at least on walking) and reduced her neck pain.

Unfortunately they cost a fortune!

Does anybody else know about these or am I, as usual, behind the times! Please correct me on any facts!

What do you folks find comfortable----shoes, trainers, sandals, your baffies(Scots for slippers) or your bare feet?
mairi
UKFM Member

Postby mairi » Sun May 07, 2006 1:16 pm

P.S. just checked a website. They are called Masai Barefoot Technology (shoes).
mairi
UKFM Member

Postby BuffyBoo » Sun May 07, 2006 1:37 pm

Never heard of them but I live in "between the toe" sandals that have arch support and trainers, which also have arch support. I never wear "proper" shoes.....it hurts too much!
I'm gonna look at the Masai shoes....Ill let you know what I think.
PS I've got another FIR sauna coming next week! Hooray :D
Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves altogether!
BuffyBoo
UKFM Member

Postby mairi » Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Glad to hear about the sauna. Will look forward to hearing about its effectiveness. I wonder whether, with the warmer weather, you may not use it quite as much as during the cold, painful days of winter and early spring. On the other hand it may be just as refreshing and cleansing now, considering how toxins build up in us.

I typed in MBT shoes and got lists of stockists. Somewhere amongst them will be the rationale behind the design.

I had individual insoles made by a podiatrist made for my walking shoes with instructions to wear them all the time. This involved changing them from shoe to shoe until I got a second pair. Can't, of course, wear them with the Scholls and now find them uncomfortable when I put my outdoor shoes on. Find I can stretch and wiggle my toes in the sandals which in turn stretches my instep muscles. Think both flexible soles and the more rigid, as in trainers and some sandals, have different effects on our foot, leg and hip pain. Would you agree?
mairi
UKFM Member

Postby BuffyBoo » Sun May 07, 2006 2:37 pm

BuffyBoo
UKFM Member

Postby BuffyBoo » Sun May 07, 2006 3:06 pm

BuffyBoo
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Sun May 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby wendysz » Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 pm

wendysz
UKFM Member

Postby Rita56 » Mon May 08, 2006 4:22 pm

Take Care
Ritaxx
Rita56
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Mon May 08, 2006 10:21 pm

Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping